RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #1

Trailer battery charge wire

Hello,
On my '92 AE I see the charge wire going into the 7 way plug by the trailer hitch but cant seem to track down the other end.

Do one of y'all know where this wire is fed from?

Thanks,
David

Shadetree63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2019, 07:05 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Trailer plug on the 92 was an after thought on AC's part. Mine is connected to the B + on the Start Batteries. Yours may be different.

NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:42 AM   #3

Thanks Chuck,
With it connected to the start battery it will be on all of the time that that switch is closed, correct?

I will check and see if I can track it to at least that compartment and if not then Ill run a new one to the location that you mentioned,

Thanks again,
David
Old 07-31-2019, 06:15 AM   #4

I'll look a my Electrical Print and try to be more specific, as I remember there is also a 20 amp self resetting Breaker in that B+ Line.
When my Generator is running my Trailer Battery is charging from my on board charger.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:34 PM   #5

Ok thanks. Another quick one is that I left the switch for the chassis battery on while I was at work and the cranking batteries died? The coach was plugged into a 30 amp receptacle. I would have thought that the cranking battery would have a charger???

Thanks again,
David
Old 07-31-2019, 02:19 PM   #6

Typically they are not tethered together.
Long story short !
Lost my Alternator a few yrs back on the way to Florida -10 deg out
pulled into a rest area and ran a 10 gauge wire from my coach Batteries to my Chassis Batteries, Fired up the Generator and ran all the way Down 1200 miles, my on board charger showed 14.2 on my dash gauge.
Changed the Alternator and left the Tether 10 gauge hooked up only with a 40 amp Bus fuse in line, now when I'm plugged in or running the Genny all of may batteries get a charge, including the Trailer.
Just a note: I can leave mine disconnected for weeks and it starts right up.

If your chassis Batteries went down in a day or 2 they may be bad, check the dates and or get them load tested.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:58 PM   #7

Thanks again Chuck,
I work away so the coach sat for 3 weeks for the batteries to get low, I was able to jump and recharge with the alternator. I thought that they would've charge but after they didn't I turned off the switch this trip. Great idea on the wire to charge them, that will be one mod that I will do for sure. Have you had any issues with the alternator while the genny is running?

Thanks again for the quick responses,
Have a great weekend,
David
Old 08-01-2019, 03:13 PM   #8

Not in the last 18 yrs.
I always turn off the on board charger ( Xantrex True Charge 40 ) when I run with the Genny on for the Roof Air and Res Fridge. My Alternator is a Delco 22SI 160 Amp, plenty for my coach needs.
If I don't need the Genny I turn on the inverter (Xantrex 2000 watt) to keep Beer Cold !
Old 08-01-2019, 11:46 PM   #9

Thanks much appreciated
Old 09-17-2019, 12:39 AM   #10

Hello Chuck,
Was just rereading your post and notice the inverter running the fridge. Is this something you added or is there an inverter that can be turned off and on. When running without the genny our fridge is off. The last trip we took I ran the genny occasionally to cool off fridge as we didn't need the ACs at night. Would be nice in the winter, down south anyway not to have to run the genny.

Thanks
David
Old 09-17-2019, 07:29 AM   #11

I replaced the original Inverter and charger as they had issues after a lightning Strike at my shop where it was plugged in. I have a Xantrex Pro-Sine 1800 watt and a separate Xantrex True Charge 40 amp Charger- Multi-stage. The Receptacle in my Fridge compartment was Hot while my inverter was on- as I understand it some are not. I also installed a remote panel in my upper cabinet above my table where I can monitor Both banks of batteries-Chassis and Coach - there is also a off-on Sw for the Inverter and separate SW I wired for the Charger. If I'm parked with no external power I can run my Fridge for 2 days from the Inverter including watching some TV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	260618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge 3.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	260619  

Old 09-25-2019, 08:15 AM   #12

Thanks for the reply, this is a good set as it would save running the genny all of the time.
I may try the same but reserve the right to holler Help.

Thanks again,
David

Tags
battery, trailer