Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2014, 12:56 PM   #1

Turn Signal / Emergency Flasher Relay

Not sure which forum to post this so I have posted it in a few.

Have a 2003 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS on the Workhorse Chassis, W22, Chevy engine.
My turn signals and emergency flashers do not work. The normal lights, running lights,
brake lights all work. Both fuses are okay too. The engine compartment one and the
one under the dashboard on the drivers side. I suspect that it is probably the turn
signal/flasher relay is out, like a normal car. But looking at the wiring job which
is amazing (a spaghetti job) I just cannot identify the relay. Can anyone of you
give me some guidance in this area? It would be most helpful, really.

Thanks fellow RVers.
robbyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #2

My previous coach (on a Workhorse) had the same problem. The relay was tucked up behind the dash to the left of the steering column.

It was full of water! Fitted new one and on our way (common part at Auto-Zone).

Easiest way to get to it was through the drivers side door.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:14 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
I believe they are 'buried' under the dash to the left of the steering column. Most vehicles have separate flasher units for turn and emergency so it's unusual they would both go out at once. Might be a wiring problem elsewhere. Have you added anything to trailer hook up or brakes?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ours on the 82 is silver, round, about 2 inches tall they are usually in the fuse box under the dash. At least that is where ours is. I had the same thing last year, I had replace it. Did the job too. $11.00 Bucks.
JMO, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:31 PM   #5

I am having the same problem.....stuck in broussard la waiting for Monday morning to try an find a workhorse authorized repair center.
I even replaced the flasher/relay, and I don't have any directional.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my 2005 the turn signal and emergency flashers are different, and they eat off different fuses... (Turn signals are an AUX panel fuse, Brake and 4-ways are on the MAIN panel).

So this narrows it down to the switches, wires, connectors, or lamps.

OMEY has the pin out on his web page if I recall correctly for the connector at the base of the steering column, I would start there with a test lamp if the problem is there or the switch, a test lamp will do it.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #7

1 fuse under the dash ( by emer brake pedal) 15 amp is good.........one fuse in eng compartment 15 amp is good.

The original relay is a 43018.........replaced yesterday with a napa el12

Removed dash cover over the dash, an didn't find anything except 5 relays that I don't think are connected to signals.

Is there any other breaker/fuse that I missed?
Old 04-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I (And others) posted in other thread.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:40 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.

I have merged the four threads you started on this topic because our rules do not allow for duplicate posts.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:13 AM   #10
paz

This post should be in the Workhorse Forum since wiring for all the chassis lighting like the turn signals is provided by the chassis manufacturer, not the house manufacturer.

Below is a photo under the dash showing the turn signal and emergency flashers of of our W24, which should be similar to your W22. They are both just hanging there to the left of the steering column.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flashers arrows small_0010.jpg
Views:	4089
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	61574
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:28 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my 2002 Dolphin with a w22 chassis the problem was the emergency flasher button. If it is in the up position the turn signals work, in the down position they don't. I replaced the button the column by pulling it upwards. You might try to spray wd40 down in the switch and then jiggle it some.
The steering column is a GM. You should be able to go to any GM dealer for this fix and the should have the parts is stock.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #12

Was able to find a truck repair shop......they checked everything and found the switch on the post to be bad. Local parts did not have one, had to have one overnited for replacement tomorrow morning.
Cost unknown at this time....
Old 04-28-2014, 08:01 PM   #13

Monday update

Spent part of the day under the dash and identified the relays. The fuse under the dash is fine and I replaced the relays (both). Still no go. But I was surprised that when I pulled the turn signal / backup lights fuse under the dash, the jacks retracted. I would have thought that the circuit would have been isolated but then who knows, a Friday wiring job… I will keep poking around and later try and find a WH Service center. Damn, I like to figure these out myself. It seems like the circuit is just not getting power and I do not know why!
Old 04-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #14

Monday night update

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro45640 View Post
On my 2002 Dolphin with a w22 chassis the problem was the emergency flasher button. If it is in the up position the turn signals work, in the down position they don't. I replaced the button the column by pulling it upwards. You might try to spray wd40 down in the switch and then jiggle it some.
The steering column is a GM. You should be able to go to any GM dealer for this fix and the should have the parts is stock.
After reading this I went over and moved the flasher switch around on the steering column. The emergency flashers started working. If I hold it over to one side it works. Now I don't know what impact this will have on my turn signals but at least it is a step in the right direction. Obviously the flasher switch needs some maintenance or replacement. Too late this evening to play with it and see what impact it has on the turn signals but at least I know the relay works too. Thanks! Any other ideas...