Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
TV Question- '05 Discovery

Got the cable to work but no local channels when I switch to TV from cable. Not sure if an '05 needs the digital box (which I have hooked up) but thinking it does.

On an '02 I had there was a separate switch for an antenna booster. Can't find one on the '05. Wingard antenna aimed in the right direction but shows no signal. All wiring is correctly hooked up. Might the entire antenna be bad?

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jim
'05 Discovery 39S
abrasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Have you done a scan in the set up menu for antenna ?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I've done the scan for new channels and it keeps coming back that the antenna needs turned. No matter where it's turned I get the same message. That's why I thought it might be the booster but I can't find one. Normally it was in the front overhead compartment where the dvd is.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
An 05 would need the convertor boxes UNLESS the televisions have been replaced. When you did a scan for channels was it with the digital convertor or with the TV. If with the digital convertor then the problem is most likely the amplifier is turned off for the cable connection.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I did the scan with the digital converter remote. I made sure it was set for the tv and not cable. I keep thinking there is an amplifier somewhere but it is not in either side compartment by the tv.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
You can find many other 2005 discovery owners here
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #7

On my 05 rev I recently asked about a TV antenna signal booster. Honestly, my coach doesn't have anything BUT the push button box for distributing signals, you likely have the SAME box. The manual for that box alludes to an internal antenna booster, tho interestingly the schematic for that device shows an external amp. GO FIGURE. I give up.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrasv View Post
I did the scan with the digital converter remote. I made sure it was set for the tv and not cable. I keep thinking there is an amplifier somewhere but it is not in either side compartment by the tv.
Ok, you used the remote for the digital converter and say it was set for TV not cable. As for as I know the digitial converters do not have a TV/Cable setting. The TV does, but not the converter as it is only used for over the air signals. So, the big question is when you scanned, were you scanning for channels on the digital converter or the TV? If your converter is hooked to the TV via one coax then the TV needs to be set to channel 3 or 4... whatever the switch on the converter is set for. If the converter is hooked to the TV with a red, white and yellow coax or a red, white and s-video cable then the TV needs to be set to auxilary input.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
Ok, you used the remote for the digital converter and say it was set for TV not cable. As for as I know the digitial converters do not have a TV/Cable setting. The TV does, but not the converter as it is only used for over the air signals. So, the big question is when you scanned, were you scanning for channels on the digital converter or the TV? If your converter is hooked to the TV via one coax then the TV needs to be set to channel 3 or 4... whatever the switch on the converter is set for. If the converter is hooked to the TV with a red, white and yellow coax or a red, white and s-video cable then the TV needs to be set to auxilary input.
You are correct and I probably did not explain completely. TV was set to TV and channel 3 with the digital box also set to 3. Wiring was run thru the digital convertor box to the TV. I skipped running it thru the box with all the buttons (so as to eliminate that from the issue) and ran from the dc to the tv. Did a scan for channels and it came back that the antenna needed to be adjusted. No matter where I turn the antenna it says the same thing. Ran the antenna check that shows % and it comes up 0.

I believe it is the antenna itself causing the issues. This mh sat outside for some time with nothing being used and maybe water got into the head unit of the antenna. I'm not sure, but this morn I saw PPL had their Sensar IV units on sale for $109 so I ordered one and will see if that helps later this week.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
On my 2006 Discovery the amplifier is built into the box of many cables so when you push the tv button it turns on. I had the same question when I got this unit.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrasv View Post
I believe it is the antenna itself causing the issues. This mh sat outside for some time with nothing being used and maybe water got into the head unit of the antenna. I'm not sure, but this morn I saw PPL had their Sensar IV units on sale for $109 so I ordered one and will see if that helps later this week.
If you are within 30-40 miles of local TV transmitters you could do a quick check... Go to Walmart and purchase one of their indoor panel antennas and hook it up to the converter and scan. After you have finished, put the antenna and all items that came with it back in the box and take it back to Walmart for a refund stating you could not find a safe place to mount it in the RV

As another posted stated, his amplifier is in the distribution box. If that is the case with yours you could run the cable input of the converter to the distribution box and try that .

Old 10-01-2013, 05:14 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
You could have just bought a new head for $55.

To check if old one was bad. Go on the roof and take cable off the head.
Test the cable for 12V. If 12V there replace head. If no 12V then problem is elsewhere.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:17 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
You could have just bought a new head for $55.

To check if old one was bad. Go on the roof and take cable off the head.
Test the cable for 12V. If 12V there replace head. If no 12V then problem is elsewhere.
Quote:
amplifier is in the distribution box.
Amplifier is in the Head the box just supplies the 12V to the head.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
UPDATE

Well, got the new Sensar IV thinking that the antenna might be the issue. Installed the head and ran a coax direct from the antenna to the digital box, then from there to the bomb (box of many buttons) and then to the tv. Still no pic. I put the db on channel 3 and the tv on channel 3 and it says to adjust the antenna as it was not picking up anything. Ran a scan and still nothing.
Brought out of the house a tv that we know works and same thing, nothing but "adjust the antenna". Tried by-passing the bomb and same result. Tried bypassing the db and same result.

So I've tied the antenna direct to db and then to the tv and nothing. Tried every option and even bought a new db but no help. I'm missing something here.

I can hook up our cable to the bomb and tv works fine for the cable channels but would really like to get the antenna issue figured out.

Any ideas out there that I haven't tried?