RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2019, 12:45 PM   #1

Using Hydraulic Leveling jack to lift RV

I just acquired a 99 American Eagle project and need to do some major service/repair. I'd like lift the tires off the ground and put it on jack stands. My question is, what's the consensus on using the leveling jacks to lift it enough to get jack stands under it? I know the owner's manual says not to do this, probably more for liability reasons, but the jacks will easily lift it.

Drewfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2019, 01:32 PM   #2

The jacks are capable of lifting the wheels off the ground, but I would not trust them to hold it there indefinitely or while I was under it. The jack stands are a must and you have to be sure that they can hold the full weight of the MH. I would guess that they should be rated at 10 tons each to be safe.

890ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:22 PM   #3

Unless you plan on removing the wheels, why not just drive up on some blocks. Lifting the front tires off the ground isn't too bad, but lifting the rear opens the possibility of it shifting. The rear tires are what holds it from moving when parked.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
but lifting the rear opens the possibility of it shifting. The rear tires are what holds it from moving when parked.

Don't you think that 30k-40k lbs of pressure on the jacks will keep it from moving?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:51 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
I've done this.... using the single front jack, raised it high enough to put a stand under each side.
Your coach has the IFS....I put the stands under the "box" frame between the lower a-arms.
Rear is easier, raise and stands under axle housing, as close to tires as your stands will allow.
If it's on level ground, it won't go anywhere...

.... what you doing to it?
mackwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Don't you think that 30k-40k lbs of pressure on the jacks will keep it from moving?
I have seen my friends jacks get bent from lifting the rear wheels off the ground. Just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I guess you could chalk the front tires.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:27 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I have seen my friends jacks get bent from lifting the rear wheels off the ground. Just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I guess you could chalk the front tires.

When you say bend, you you mean articulate? They can pivot more than you think.

OP - chocked tires are great or lift whole rig if you can.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramichi View Post
When you say bend, you you mean articulate? They can pivot more than you think.

OP - chocked tires are great or lift whole rig if you can.
He wanted to work on the rear corner, so he lifted the back up. The coach shifted forward. He told me later that it bent the jacks. He should have blocked the front wheels.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
I've done this.... using the single front jack, raised it high enough to put a stand under each side.
Your coach has the IFS....I put the stands under the "box" frame between the lower a-arms.
Rear is easier, raise and stands under axle housing, as close to tires as your stands will allow.
If it's on level ground, it won't go anywhere...

.... what you doing to it?
That was my plan. I'll put some jack stands under the frame so I can replace the air bags.

This things a big project, I'll post a build thread when I can, but the big items for the jack stands are: replace air bags, probably shocks too, rebuild the entire basement structure, rebuild the front jack, polish the wheels....
Drewfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #10

Let me edit my other post, the rear jack stands must be on frame to replace rear air bags...the axle housing needs to be "free" from the weight of coach.
mackwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewfab View Post
I just acquired a 99 American Eagle project and need to do some major service/repair. I'd like lift the tires off the ground and put it on jack stands. My question is, what's the consensus on using the leveling jacks to lift it enough to get jack stands under it? I know the owner's manual says not to do this, probably more for liability reasons, but the jacks will easily lift it.
I've done it many times and they're a good a jack as any.
Put in some blocks, before getting down under, or at least for having a back up jack in place.

tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, leveling