Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2016, 05:33 PM   #1
BnB

Ford Super Duty Owner
VAC-U- FLUSH Pump Install

After about 14 months of ownership and wondering when that silly Vac-U-Flush pump would implode our wait is over! So Dometic is overnighting a new pump to me (for an additional $65). My question for those who are fortunate enough to have a VUF toilet and have experienced the thrill of replacing the pump - Do you have any tips for before I dig in??? Thanks in advance.
BnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2016, 10:16 PM   #2

Good luck! Prepare for the mess that comes out of the pump and discharge hose. Use lots of rags. Use your jacks to tip the motorhome so the stuff flows where you want it to go. One good thing - the pump assembly can be pulled away from the vacuum tank fairly easily. The connection just pulls apart. Two o-rings do the sealing. (I had to unclog a duckbill valve of a big wad of toilet paper) And now, after reassembly, my unit holds vacuum for at least two weeks!
Old 07-30-2016, 04:43 PM   #3
BnB

Ford Super Duty Owner
TT - thanks for the helpful tips. The worst part I think was the tight working space - the engineers who thought of burying such a marginal piece of equipment there are not on my hit parade. The vacuflush system is my only regret in my Bounder.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:43 PM   #4

You are welcome! I think later models do have the vacuflush system mounted where they can be more easily accessed.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippytoe View Post
You are welcome! I think later models do have the vacuflush system mounted where they can be more easily accessed.
They should! When you have a system guaranteed to fail you should be able to fix it easily. Why don't they dedicate one compartment to the Vacuflush pump and all the pumps for the Aqua Hot systems.
Lynn
Old 08-01-2016, 07:19 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
They should! When you have a system guaranteed to fail you should be able to fix it easily. Why don't they dedicate one compartment to the Vacuflush pump .
Lynn

It's easy enough to move the vaccum generator to a cargo hold, like I did on my terra, 8 hours and your done. I installed the larger vg-4 unit which makes the disassembly for maintainance real easy as it has all threaded fittings so removing hoses is a piece of cake. I do have to say that since I moved the vac gen it has needed nothing, but that's ok, when it does,I will be able to reach and repair it any where, anytime. I posted pics of the relocated unit and the reason for moving it , click my avatar and check my post named flush the vacuflush. I do have to say that now I really like the vacuflush system,it works great,is dependable now that it's installed correctly, and is extremely easy to work on when you have to, of coarse no thanks to Fleetwood......

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:23 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would not hesitate to buy a rig with a properly installed vacuflush system.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:28 PM   #8
BnB

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rick - As a FTer, I don't think that I'm wiling to give up my precious cargo space to move the pump, but I see the beauty for sure. Do you or anyone else know if they make a more powerful replacement for the stock pump? I replaced mine w/o much issue and it is quieter then the OEM, but it doesn't preform as well - it really sucks but not in a good way. As a min I will have Dometic send a replacement and hope it's as least as good as the old one.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid rick View Post
I would not hesitate to buy a rig with a properly installed vacuflush system.
Now that my vacu flush doesn't cycle (had a crack in the toilet seal from the factory and needed to be replaced) I am happy with it. I would not be happy if I had 2 black tanks. The 35K has 2 toilets so it would have been necessary.
Make sure you flush properly (holding the lever down for the recommended time and do the maintenance. It will give you years of trouble free flushing.

Happy toileting everybody!

Tags
install