Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2016, 01:22 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Vacuflush

Had a clogged toilet on our 2015 Bounder 33 C and brought to repair place. The coach has been used just 6 times only and has not been a problem till now. They could not unclog and went to the pump and found it to be totally full of sludge and gunk. They said that the pump is seized and needs to be replaced. It was purchased used and has worked well for us until this past trip when the pump started going in the middle of the night. Could it get that bad that quick? Typical cost to replace pump?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2016, 02:57 PM   #2

Sorry to hear of your problem.
Try these folks:
RV Toilets, Holding Tanks & Sanitation - PPL Motor Homes

Good Luck
Lynn
Old 03-31-2016, 03:37 PM   #3

The pump costs $600 plus.

It is rebuildable for maybe $300, if it needs a motor ( I doubt it does ). The bellows kit is $100.

Look up vacuflush suction pump on "Environmental Marine" website so you can see what you have.

Then tell them to fix it. It is dirty but simple. I have rebuilt mine twice in 8 years.

Another site for repair parts.

http://seacoastservices.com/vacuflush-vacuum-pumps/
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:31 PM   #4

You need to look at the owners manual for the vacuflush and pay attention on the steps on what you need to do before you let it sit for more than a week. That will help prevent future issues.

Has the circuit breaker for the vacuum pump tripped?? What circuit breaker you say? In the inverter compartment next to the entry door on the upper left side is a little silver box hanging from 2 wires. That box has a small black tab on it. That tab resets the circuit breaker. Two things will cause the pump to not run. One is the circuit breaker the other is the float switch in the black tank. If the pump doesn't run and the power panel has no lights on it it's the breaker. If the panel lights up and the pump isn't pumping it's the float switch. If the pump is clogged it is almost certain the circuit breaker will have tripped. If it's the float switch you need to drain the black tank.
Lastly the bellows is operated by a small crankshaft that is turned by a motor it is possible to turn that shaft manually to break a clog as long as the bellows has not ruptured. Whenever using the vacuflush always hold the flush pedal down for at least 3 seconds to get enough water into the system to wash out any solids. There are some videos of the vacuflush on youtube they are a great source of information on seeing how the system works and what the vacuum generator looks like. Knowing Fleetwood its probable you did not get a manual for the system with the coach if that is the case here is digital copy of one.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VacuFlush_Toilets_Owner_Manuel.pdf (460.5 KB, 291 views)
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:19 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
While it is possible to clog them (ive done it), its rare that you cant unclog it. Clogging it is not like a regular toilet where there might be something too large to fit down the pipes. The vacuflush is designed in such a way that everything is pulverized as it goes through the funnel at the bottom. The waste is sucked through with such force that it pulverizes it and there is nothing big enough to clog the system. The problem arises when you dont hold the pedal down for at least 3 seconds after the waste goes down. If you dont hold it down for the 3 seconds, the solids will not clear the pump and then the next flush piles up on top of the previous one until you have a clog. If the pump is not running, first make sure you reset the circuit breaker and make sure the black tank is not full. Then fill the bowl to the top and hold the pedal down to see if the extra pressure from the water will clear it. Keep in mind that after you fill the bowl to the top, you will have to turn off the water pump while trying to flush it so it doesnt overflow. If this does not work, go to the other toilet that hopefully isnt clogged and flush it repeatedly. This has worked for me on a couple occassions. Another possibility is that you flushed solids down without holding the pedal down for three seconds afterwards and left it like that for an extended period of time and things hardened up so to speak. I would make sure the breaker is reset and the tank is empty and keep working at it before you spend the money. If it is clogged at the funnel just under the ball, you can poke things through with some sort of stick or dowel rod. Good luck and let us know if the lights on the system are coming on.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:03 AM   #6

Mojo
A 33C only has one toilet. Why it has a vacuflush at all eludes me.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:18 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your right, why would they even need it unless they put the toilet somewhere they couldnt fit a tank directly under it. Either way, filling the bowl all the way has helped and all other directions apply other than flushing the second toilet.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:11 AM   #8

When I started looking for a class A MH I made up a list of things I did and did not want on the MH. On the top of the do not list was the Vacu Flush system. After lurking on here and other sites it seemed to me as though the most troublesome system on any MH is this outfit.
I have no need for it. I have always seen gravity rid my tank of anything that was in it. Pretty simple operation too. I have been behind other folks at a dumping station and waited a long time for them to get their tank emptied with the VF system whereas I pull a handle with a hose attached and whoosh out the tank. Rinse the hose out and get out of there. 5 minutes, maybe, tops. The most expensive thing I have bought for my black tank is the hose and some chemicals to keep it clean and stink free.
Lynn
Old 04-01-2016, 08:32 AM   #9

I had my Excursion for a year and never had a problem. But I'm so glad my Discovery does no have one.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Your right, why would they even need it unless they put the toilet somewhere they couldnt fit a tank directly under it. Either way, filling the bowl all the way has helped and all other directions apply other than flushing the second toilet.
I think this is a solid reason, no?
From the manual in post attached above:
• Efficient Design
• Consumes a little over a pint of water per flush and allows boat owners to use a small waste tank.
The VacuFlush system fills a ten-gallon (28.4 liter) tank in the same time that an electric toilet fills a
40-gallon (113.6 liter) tank.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
When I started looking for a class A MH I made up a list of things I did and did not want on the MH. On the top of the do not list was the Vacu Flush system. After lurking on here and other sites it seemed to me as though the most troublesome system on any MH is this outfit.
I have no need for it. I have always seen gravity rid my tank of anything that was in it. Pretty simple operation too. I have been behind other folks at a dumping station and waited a long time for them to get their tank emptied with the VF system whereas I pull a handle with a hose attached and whoosh out the tank. Rinse the hose out and get out of there. 5 minutes, maybe, tops. The most expensive thing I have bought for my black tank is the hose and some chemicals to keep it clean and stink free.
Lynn
The Vacuflush system flushs the toilet not the waste tanks. They work like airline toilets. Swoosh, it's gone.

You may be talking about a maserator, an electric pump that chops the wast, while pumping out the black tank. Its slow but works up hill.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:04 PM   #12

The reason my Bounders have had the vacuflush is because of the two toilets. I really like the bath and a half floorplan. Two toilets mean two holding tanks or the vacuflush. I've read about the experiences some folks have had with coaches with two black tanks and both systems seem to have their ups and downs.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:34 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine has worked flawlessly since I learned about holding the lever down for three seconds after flushing. We have lived in it full time for over a year and I have never shut it off during that period. I think I'm going to do the recommended maintenance on it this fall.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:50 PM   #14

It's amazing how well items work when used as recommended in owners manuals
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote