Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #1

Vacuum Flush Issues

We have been full timing for a little over 3-1/2 years now. During that time I have had to replace the vacuum flush unit 3 different time. I assume this is not normal. Is there anything I can do to make the pumps last longer?? We always use plenty of water and hold the pedal down for 3 or more second when flushing.
steveh1855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #2

What part is failing ?

I had to do something to my vacuum generator every year or two, while fulltiming.

The vacuum generators are rebuildable.

Duck bill valves are easy to replace, costing $40. , and the bellows is a bit more work and about $100.

Its a dirty job but someone has to do it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:16 AM   #3

Vacuum Flush Issues

I am right there with you-having just had to change mine out 3 times as well. I have a spare total pump which I rebuild when change out. Makes the down time much more "manageable". After all if/when pump does not do it's job-you cannot do yours. In fact, I have just yesterday rebuilt the pump that quit on us last week. Moving the plumbing this fix, hopefully will make it even easier for next change out. Like you, I do exactly what I am understanding we need to do, flush, count to 3 (I use 5 sometime) and nothing foreign goes down.
16bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
What part is failing ?

I had to do something to my vacuum generator every year or two, while fulltiming.

Duck bill valves are easy to replace, costing $40. , and the bellows is a bit more work and about $100.

The bellow is blowing out and it does make a smelly mess.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16bounder View Post
I am right there with you-having just had to change mine out 3 times as well. I have a spare total pump which I rebuild when change out. Makes the down time much more "manageable". After all if/when pump does not do it's job-you cannot do yours. In fact, I have just yesterday rebuilt the pump that quit on us last week. Moving the plumbing this fix, hopefully will make it even easier for next change out. Like you, I do exactly what I am understanding we need to do, flush, count to 3 (I use 5 sometime) and nothing foreign goes down.
The last one I put in was one that I rebuilt and have another rebuild kit on order for the one I just pulled out.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:27 AM   #6

Yep'r, that is where mine have BLOWN as well...the inside pleat(s) seem to be the weak link. I do have to say tho, replacing and replumbing the hoses has made mine quieter when charging. Maybe if replace enough times, it will be really WHISPER QUIET...
Old 03-12-2019, 12:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16bounder View Post
Yep'r, that is where mine have BLOWN as well...the inside pleat(s) seem to be the weak link. I do have to say tho, replacing and replumbing the hoses has made mine quieter when charging. Maybe if replace enough times, it will be really WHISPER QUIET...
What hoses did you replace and with what??
Old 03-12-2019, 02:41 PM   #8

Replaced the whole length of down stream from pump to black tank, and 'spliced' the upstream to the white "generator"(??). Moved the whole closer to the outside of the bin-no stretching or reaching over the residue that is found when pump fails.........Plus put wing nut/bolts to hold down-easy breezy (hopefully) when (not if) it fails again.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #9

Quote:
What part is failing ?

Really?? I have a conventional flush toilet and never have to do it. After reading of many people having problems, and hearing from them firsthand, I question whether having one is a good idea.
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
Really?? I have a conventional flush toilet and never have to do it. After reading of many people having problems, and hearing from them firsthand, I question whether having one is a good idea.
It may not be a good idea, but if the toilet isn't over the black tank, where the discharge can fall into it, its one of the few ideas left.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
It may not be a good idea, but if the toilet isn't over the black tank, where the discharge can fall into it, its one of the few ideas left.

Yep many on bigger boats too. Vacuum switches sometime another problem if they are still the same design.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Yep many on bigger boats too. Vacuum switches sometime another problem if they are still the same design.
I know, my 35 ft trawler had a double toilet Vacuflush system. Over 10 years of ownership, I had a lot if experience with the system.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:10 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
I know, my 35 ft trawler had a double toilet Vacuflush system. Over 10 years of ownership, I had a lot if experience with the system.

Me too. Two heads each with their own vacuum tanks but only one vacuum pump. Once you understand them they aren’t too bad.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:25 PM   #14

Foretravel Owners Club
There was a manufacturers run of the bellows that were prone to failing (bean counters cut corners...) The latest ones are considerably more robust, so shouldn't fail as often..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote