RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2015, 08:46 PM   #1

VDO gauges

My 1999 American Dream speedometer and RPM gauges started acting funny. The speedometer with trip reset was showing the trip and actual mileage fading at times to the point I couldn't read it and it didn't continue adding mileage. Other times the needle showing the speed would read wrong. (watching GPS) Now the RPM gauge is showing '0' RPM. The engine hours display is still readable but may not be adding hours. I took them out of the dash and will take them to a place that may be able to tell me if the gauges are at fault or not. If the gauges are OK then the problem may be with the sending units, grounds or wiring.
Has any one else had similar problems? Tomorrow I'll try Fleetwood for a electrical diagram for the gauges. I need to know where the sending units are so I can check for loose or dirty connections. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Trying to get all the bugs out before DW and I celebrate our 50th on a road trip to California Red woods and Alaska.
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 06:53 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What chassis? If it's Freightliner call their help desk, 800-385-4357. They are available 24/7.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:59 AM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
We are in a 1998 American Eagle and have the VDO gauges also. On our recent trip the odometer starting fading out but kept track of the mileage. Sometimes it would be gone for a day and then back tomorrow but dim. Today it is bright and seems to have recorded the mileage accurately. Seems to be an issue with these units. I have checked the connector at the back of the speedo and it is tight and clean. Seems as though it does it more when it is wet outside. As we are presently in dry CO and working normal.
Good luck and please post if you find the problem, we should be home shortly and I will start trouble shooting mine.
FORTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:10 PM   #4

VDO gauges

FORTRIDER, I took the speed and tachometer gauges out and had them checked out at 'Performance Radio' in San Antonio. They checked OK. I finally got time to check out the sending end of the gauges. The speedometer sending unit(ie-pickup sensor) is located on the drivers side of the tail housing of the output shaft of the transmission. The tachometer is on the drivers side of the engine bell housing. Both are held in place by a small bolt and 'Y' shaped clamp. Both sensors have a small magnet in the center. Both had some iron fillings on them but the speedometer had the most. I wiped them clean and installed them again. Before cleaning the tack RPM needle was reading '0', pegged not moving at all. The speedometer trip and total mileage had faded out completely. After cleaning both are reading correctly and clearly. The iron fillings closed the required gap needed to pick up the signal. I was surprised at how little there was to clean off. The more mileage on your MH the more likely the problem. Now on to other things......

Dustdevil
Old 05-20-2015, 02:44 AM   #5

Interesting I just found bought and installed a new Speedo / Odometer after trying to fix the problem otherwise and not having any luck I did not know that the Odometer sensor was located on the engine bell housing so I will give it another try and see if that was the problem.

I much appreciate the tip and I will let you know the result.
My Odometer was also blank and black BTW. Took it so to a Sparta dealer and they did not know what to do (other then to replace )

Regards,

ED
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:32 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
FORTRIDER, I took the speed and tachometer gauges out and had them checked out at 'Performance Radio' in San Antonio. They checked OK. I finally got time to check out the sending end of the gauges. The speedometer sending unit(ie-pickup sensor) is located on the drivers side of the tail housing of the output shaft of the transmission. The tachometer is on the drivers side of the engine bell housing. Both are held in place by a small bolt and 'Y' shaped clamp. Both sensors have a small magnet in the center. Both had some iron fillings on them but the speedometer had the most. I wiped them clean and installed them again. Before cleaning the tack RPM needle was reading '0', pegged not moving at all. The speedometer trip and total mileage had faded out completely. After cleaning both are reading correctly and clearly. The iron fillings closed the required gap needed to pick up the signal. I was surprised at how little there was to clean off. The more mileage on your MH the more likely the problem. Now on to other things......

Dustdevil
Thanks Dustdevil, that was going to be where I started trouble shooting at. I have experienced issues similiar to that on motorcycles that magnetic pickups collect metal and caused running issues and weird speedo issues. Haven't had a chance yet as it has been too rainy and cold to check things out. Look out the windows of the house this morning and all I see is fresh snow!! CO can be hectic in the spring, flooding, snow and just down right cold. Appreciate the tips.

FORTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gauges