Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2019, 07:11 AM   #1

Carolina Campers
Washer Drain Issue

The MH was pre plumbed for a washer/dryer unit, but I had to cut a hole in the cap on top of the stand pipe to put the drain hose in. Now, we get a fresh scent of grey water tank. Should they have had a p-trap, or do I simply seal in the drain hose with a sealant or something to block odor from coming out?
The receptacle is also dead, and it’s the only one not hot. Is there a separate breaker for it? It’s not a GFCI and no other breakers are tripped. Dead on shore power and generator. Hope to solve this soon, thx!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2019, 10:48 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It would help if you identified the year/make/model of RV. They aren't all the same...

The washer drain really should have a P-trap, but RVs rarely have them and a factory install typically seals the top instead. The drain lines are vented anyway, so sealing the top should not be a problem. Use a sealant that can be removed if necessary, something soft that remains pliable for many years.

The washer should have a separate breaker, but maybe the "washer prep" did not include hooking up the outlet to any breaker. You will just have to trace the wiring and see. Is there a breaker labeled for it in the load center? Have you looked behind the load center covers to see if there is a dead-ended wire in there?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:57 PM   #3

Carolina Campers
Thanks Gary! I plan to do what you said and use a sealant to seal the drain hose to the stand pipe (pvc) to keep the smell out. Hopefully it doesn’t come though the washer. I will take a look behind that panel and hope that’s the case of it just needing a breaker because there is no label for it. It’s a 2003 Fleetwood Bounder 35E.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:19 PM   #4

Carolina Campers
Gary,
I just looked at the breaker panel, and there’s no single, capped wires anywhere. I haven’t seen any gfci’s it could have been powered from, maybe from one outside I haven’t seen yet, I don’t know. Worst case scenario, I’m stuck with plugging the washer into another outlet as I’ve done once before. It just ticks me off when it’s advertised as washer dryer ready and it’s not. Still, it’s better than nothing, so I’m grateful overall for the purchase.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:58 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
my 99 PaceArrow was a 30 amp and had what looked like a light switch close to the washer/dryer that toggled between microwave and washer.
Kevan & Rebecca(BTW) 2009 Fleetwood PaceArrow 38P 8.1 on W24 chassis w/air bags, 1990 Goldwing 1500, 2010 Jeep Liberty, RVM#197, FMCA#F413587, FMA#7985, WCMC, 2 dogs Cody and Sadie
PappaBull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by csallis40 View Post
The MH was pre plumbed for a washer/dryer unit, but I had to cut a hole in the cap on top of the stand pipe to put the drain hose in. Now, we get a fresh scent of grey water tank. Should they have had a p-trap, or do I simply seal in the drain hose with a sealant or something to block odor from coming out?
The receptacle is also dead, and it’s the only one not hot. Is there a separate breaker for it? It’s not a GFCI and no other breakers are tripped. Dead on shore power and generator. Hope to solve this soon, thx!!
Your stand pipe is probably too tall for what the washer wants. It can cause all the water to not drain from unit. This will start to stink pretty quick. Take a look at this video I did on installing such a unit. Hope it helps.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:03 PM   #7

Carolina Campers
Pappabull,

I have a switch that goes from microwave to electric water heater. I had hoped that was it, but it wasn’t.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:05 PM   #8

Carolina Campers
Washer Drain Issue

This it what the setup for washer dryer ready looked like. The cap wasn’t removable, so I had to cut a hole in it the put the washer hose. I didn’t see a ptrap, who’s us where I think the problem lies. Great video, thanks!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5059.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	263446
Old 10-13-2019, 07:35 AM   #9

Washer Drain Issue

Here is an issue I found recently.
I had our Splendide Washer/Dryer replaced. I found that occasionally the new unit would start filling and as fast as the water went in it flowed out the drain pipe. The unit ran until the grey tank filled and overflowed. Not good.

After talking to a technician I was told that the flexible drain pipe from the unit should extend down into the drain pipe no more than 6-8”. Mine was about 18” into the drain. What was happening was because of the flexible hose being so far down the drain pipe it was causing a siphoning effect and removing water as fast as it was pumped in and therefore never filling.
After pulling the flexible hose out to allow about 6-8” down the drain and problem cured.
Hope this helps someone.
Ront77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by csallis40 View Post
This it what the setup for washer dryer ready looked like. The cap wasn’t removable, so I had to cut a hole in it the put the washer hose. I didn’t see a ptrap, who’s us where I think the problem lies. Great video, thanks!Attachment 263446
I chose to cut the cap off, then bought a cap with a threaded hose fitting and screwed a barb connector on. Then glued the new cap on. That allowed me to hose clamp the washer hose to the barb. It prevents the suction problem as well as ensures the hose never falls out of pipe.

Adding a p trap is pretty easy and highly recommended.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:22 AM   #11

Carolina Campers
Washer Drain Issue

That drain pipe does look a little short. I will cut it low, install a longer one with a ptrap and the cap you mentioned. I am sure that should solve the problem. For everyone else out there that is told an RV is “Washer ready” make sure to look at these issues so you’ll know how to tackle this project before you install one. Thanks everyone for the help!