Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Water Filter

2005 Expedition 38N... I have one of those whole coach water filters that is mounted to the left side of the water hookup storage bin. I can see the cannister and have not checked or messed with the filter since I bought the camper last August. I have noticed my water preassure being a little less last camp or two. I want to check the filter and perhaps go ahead and replace. My question is.....do I simply turn the filter housing I am looking at in the water hookup bin one direction or the other with my hand to release the filter. I do not have the water hose hooked up so I assume I won't cause a flood in the bin?? Not sure if that housing I can see is the filter or the filter is mounted in that housing. Other question if I decided to not replace the filter or had to wait on one and needed to hook up the water can I just replace the housing without the filter and that will keep it from leaking just won't have filtration of the water?? any help or watch outs on this is appre....glen
GlenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Glen, I'm sure what you have is the same that I had in a previous coach. The filter is inside that plastic housing unless the previous owner left it out. They are notorious for being difficult to open. There is a plastic wrench to help. You can pick one up at larger RV supply stores if yours is missing. The filter element is available at Lowe's and Home Depot or Walmart as well as camping stores. I found it was easier to use an inline filter and leave the canister empty because it was so difficult to open. I was always concerned that I was going to break the line in helf and then I would have a problem. But you need to get it open and change the element or leave it out all together. It can be a surprise what the water you drink is passing through.
Kuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
On my Southwind the whole system filer in the same compartment as the water pump. The filter is bolted to the side of the compartment. I change the filter twice a year and is really not to difficult to open with the big round wrench. You could always put a little Vaseline on the threads and rubber gasket to make it easer next time to open it.
Hal
Neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #4

I just purchased a 2006 Georgetown 370ts-xl with three slides,very nice unit with 1 1/2 bath with 23000miles ford v10.Any comments would be appreciated,positive or negative.Paul 239 673-8931 my email is Chaletdeau@comcast.net
chaletdeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #5

I change mine twice a year and leave it out for winter storage. There is not enough chlorine in city water to keep bacteria from growing in the filter and housing. You can purchase filters fairly cheap on the net. I buy 6 at a time.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaletdeau View Post
I just purchased a 2006 Georgetown 370ts-xl with three slides,very nice unit with 1 1/2 bath with 23000miles ford v10.Any comments would be appreciated,positive or negative.Paul 239 673-8931 my email is Chaletdeau@comcast.net
Hello Paul and welcome to the forum. You might start a new thread asking for info, since this post is buried in another topic. (Also, I'm not sure it's a good idea to post your phone number on a public forum; you might want to remove that.) Good luck.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tks for your note back to me on this...I finally got a filter and bought one of the wrenches to use on the filter housing however....the cannister is back up in the compartment so can't get the wrench up high enough to turn. My question is dumb but is this a left turn to loosen deal. I am going to try to use a oil filter wrench I can tighten up on the cannister. I was a little fearful to try to force a turn not knowing the loosen direction...tks for the help.....glen EMAIL glenbrown2686@comcast.net
GlenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, turn it to the left. When you replace it, it should not leak when hand tightened. No need to wrench it tight, especially if you lube the o-ring with a small amount of Vaseline.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Vaseline?

I would recommend going to a hardware store and getting a silicone lube meant to be used on pool equipment o-rings. Vaseline is a petroleum product and will eventually eat the o-ring on the filter canister leading to leaks.

I've used the silicon lube on our pool filter and whole house water filter for 25+years. I've replaced ONE o-ring in all that time.

Cheers,
Muddypaws
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water