Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #1

Water heater

I have a 2006 Providence 39s and am experiencing a electrical smell when my water heater is on electric operation. It has a smell similar to a new applianc3e smell. It is a GE16TE Attwood. The smell is most apparent in the coach near the water heater and washer dryer. We have not been using the washer dryer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2014, 08:29 AM   #2

Shut down the power to the water heater, via breaker or unplug from service panel and turn off inverter.. Now check for loose wires at the water heater.. Loose wires, cause fires.. If your breaker box is somewhere close to the water heater check for loose wires there also.. We had a loose wire in the service panel and after tracking down the smell found a melted wire on the neurtral bar in our service panel.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #3

Did you find the problem? When your water heater is on electric....does the water get hot? If not, the heating probe might be going out. Sometimes a sulfur smell can fake you out. Let us know what you find.
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #4

attwood

water gets hot and once hot the smell goes away.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:59 AM   #5

checked wiring no loose not hot or disfigured wires.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #6
Cat

I had a similar problem. Sometimes I could smell what seemed to be hot insulation/ wires. It was very intermittant. I eventually did find the wires at the back of the water heater had melted. The wire connection was not tight and caused the heat----very scary--they had gotten hot enough to start a fire. This connection is not visible with out removing a small black cover that is on the rear of the Atwood water heater. The 110 Ac wires on the outside the box looked good, under the everything was melted----- and it never popped the circuit breaker. Atwood said the problem is caused by the installing manufacturer, they had seen before.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
Cat

Under this coverClick image for larger version

Name:	Water heater.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	79791
Old 11-24-2014, 06:33 AM   #8

How did you get to the box.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:37 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mborow View Post
How did you get to the box.

My Bounder had a trap door underneath. It was under coated and hard to see. Three screws opened the access door.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #10
Cat

My 2007 Bounder Diesel has a false floor in the closet above the water by heater. The false floor on mine just lifts off.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #11

My HWH is mounted on the right rear corner. My electric rod is located on the backside of the HWH. I get to mine thru the bedroom closet under a hatch on the left side of the closet.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #12

Very Dangerous Attwood

Finally decided that the only way to get at the issues was to remove th water heater. Pulled it out today and found the exact issues that CAT had diagramed above. The back of the cover was now melted. The hot wire, wire nut was melted and the lead wire was burnt.

I can't understand how Attwood and Fleetwood can let these issue go w/o some sort of recall or at least and alert.

I also now developed a tank leak so time to replace the whole thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1265.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	81307   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1268.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	81308  

Old 12-17-2014, 05:54 PM   #13
Cat

I also failed to water tanks-- they cracked right beside the weld that runs around the tank and holds the two halfs of the tank together. I believe it was caused by the water pressure fluctuations. The RV park has fairly high water pressure and I had a water pressure regulator. I tested the water pressure and found when not using any water it was at the setting of the water regulator about 50- 55 psi. But when I turned a faucet the pressure would drop to 15 psi. The pressure regulator would not allow enough flow to keep the pressure constant or fairly stabile. This caused the water tank to flex-(oil can old term) and crack. I purchased a 3/4 inch water pressure regulator from home depot 3years ago and have not had any problems since. Original tank lasted about 8 months full timing. Second tank lasted 4 months. Something to think about. Glad you found your wiring problem with no other damage.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:46 AM   #14

Off hand the melt job looks like a classic poorly installed wire nut. It probably does not happen often enough to generate any kind of special messages. The cover is intended to contain the kind of mess you found.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater