RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Water Heater: Gas and Electric

Hi Again;
I have two switches for the waterheater in my 08 providence, one for gas and one for electric. When I hooked up to shore power I assumed that I could turn it on with electric only and it never got hot. So I went with LP and it heated up right away. Does anyone know if the electric option is for initial heat as well as gas or is it strictly for maintaining heat once hot??
Thanks
Ed

tedward1555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #2

Does anyone know if the electric option is for initial heat as well as gas or is it strictly for maintaining heat once hot??
Thanks
Ed[/QUOTE]

Plugged into shore power the electric element will heat the water, not as quickly as gas but it will get hot. It would seem the element that you have is not working. Check with a VOM that you have 110 AC going to the element leads after you turn on power and you are plugged into shore power. If no, check all AC suff leading to the element (switch, breaker, wiring) and find the fault. If you have power at the element and it's not heating the water, your element is bad.
-Paul R. Haller-

Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:45 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
My Georgetown had an outside switch at the w/h that had to be activated before it would start heating. Hope this might help.
Safe Travels
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
all issues resolved

as it turns out I had a blown electrical heating element. it was replaced and the electric heater works great. in fact it gets a little hotter than I prefer, but I can handle that.
Thanks everyone
tedward1555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thank you for the follow up always helpfull for people to know the results to a problem.
I'm sure you are aware of not turning on electric portion of water heater without water in water heater.
A new coach will sometimes arrive, from dealers show room, with heating element blown because someone is unaware of this.
No water with gas would smell the place up.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #6

Does anyone know if the 2006 discovery have the electric water heater I don't even know if I have the electric heater
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, your Discovery has a dual gas/electric heater.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:54 AM   #8

Thanks I didn't even know that , do you know where the switch to turn it on is located? Joe.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:50 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninos View Post
Thanks I didn't even know that , do you know where the switch to turn it on is located? Joe.
Mine is in the same area as the EMS monitor, water pump switch, battery disconnect switch, tank level guages etc. It should be labeled water heater.

If this doesn't help, call Fleetwood customer service Monday with your vin number and they should be able to give you a little better idea.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:35 AM   #10

thanks I will loke for It.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #11

I am an extreme newbie...I have an 08 Providence and my delivery at the dealership was somewhat vague in a few spots! How do you know when the hot water heater is full of water? we have only camped once so far and we left the storage lot with a 1/3 tank of water in the fresh storage tank and then hooked up to city water when we reached the campsite.

Since were on the topic of hot water heaters, my family camps for long weekends and then we put her into storage for a few weeks before our next trip. How do I empty the hot water heater, we have a hot water drain in the "sewage" compartment, is this it?? I know the heater itself is on the other side of the coach. I am still unsure of a few things and any help is so appreciated!!!
arosen2176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
aroson2176 welcome to irv2.
This RV Tech library will cover most items in your coach that the dealer should have covered when you purchased the coach.
You may need to operate the by-pass valves to get water into your water heater.
Its best to do that when hooked up to city water supply. Do not operate any switch's for water heater until you get water into it or you will burn the electric element.
You will know when you have it full when water comes out of relief valve.
You have a lot of reading so take your time.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote