Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2017, 11:42 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Water Leak! Help

Greetings all,

Went to exercise my motorhome today. I have a trip to Dallas in the next couple weeks. I was sitting in a the driver seat talking to the wife and dropped the phone between the wall and seat noticed the carpet was a bit damp... odd so I started feeling around and noticed at the beginning of the slide behind the seat was very wet. I pushed the slide out and peeled the carpet back to find the wood soaked! There was no indication of a roof leak so I'm assuming it has to be the slide out. I keep the slides in when not in use. We did have a pretty good rain storm on Wednesday, but I have no clue of how water could have gotten in. Has anyone ever experienced this? I've seen a thread where the OP took out his slide and replaced the wood ouch!!! Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0506.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	173439   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0507.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	422.5 KB
ID:	173440  

MoePo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2017, 04:32 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Water can also leak in around a window, down inside the wall, and come out on the floor. Check the seal around all windows and also that the track the window slides in has clear weep holes to drain water. The faster you catch it and repair it, the less damage can spread.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The leak can come from multiple places. Even a joint on the roof or at the front cap. If you can't find the leak, consider finding a shop that uses the Seal Tech system that pressurizes the coach and uses soapy water to create bubbles to find the leak. Been there.....
spinroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the advice going do some further investigating this weekend will touch back soon
Old 08-18-2017, 05:22 PM   #5

Do you have slide toppers? Just possible rain runs in on the top of slide then runs down the side and in the bottom. Hard to do sometimes is to look when it's raining.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:27 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I do have slide toppers. The front has seen better days. Will inspect this weekend.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:30 PM   #7

We had a leak on our slide outs. Took forever to find it. What it was on one side was a 1 " opening near trim that was only exposed when slide was out. Water tension would allow it to work it's way along the floor and get soaked in.

The other side was weird, the aluminum frame had a 1/64" gap right at the roof line impossible to see and almost impossible to feel. Took a while to find bit some caulk on both fixed it.

It took a warmer day with rain for me to find it. Had to stand outside and watch how the water off the topper ran etc.

It's like herding cats... good luck!
Old 08-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #8

I would suspect two possible water entries. Slide seal or window next to driver's seat. Dry everything up and then make your own rain storm while placing blue shop paper towels down in the area. Those towels turn dark blue when they get wet so you will see the water as soon as it hits the area which should help you track the source of entry. Your driver's window has a drain hose that empties in or near the wheel well. Make sure it is not plugged with dirt or debris.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:37 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
After further investigation I discovered a crack in my slide seal. I've since sealed the crack. There is no sign of warping in the wood so my wallet is very happy I had planned on replacing my carpet anyway so that is the next project. Thanks for all your help. This forum is awesome!

Tags
leak, water, water leak