Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #1

Water not going into Water Heater

I've looked everywhere plumbing wise to figure out why water is not going into the hot water tank on my neighbor's 1999 Bounder. I've gotten the plumbing schematic from Fleetwood, and have taken off the rear panel on the water heater unit under the coach. I can see no cut off valve at any plumbing anywhere. The WH fires up no problem, but cuts off after 10 minutes or so, evidently because there is no water going into the tank. Any ideas? Water comes out of all faucets when I turn on the hot water faucets. Thanks. Dave
Clarity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2018, 01:31 PM   #2

Water heater bypass set to bypass for winter? Common to forget to turn them back. Set thus way you will get water from faucet but it will be cold. Should be a diagram for setting them.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:33 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
a good possibility is you have the fill valve turned to bypass, I had the same problem and remembered I had turned it from city and all was resolved , let us know how it turns out .
philbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:44 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
1. Is there water PRESSURE to the water heater? With water pump on or connected to a water source, open the pressure relief valve, water should come out with a good deal of force. Faucet, smaucet, I wanna know about the water heater.

If no pressure at the pressure relief valve, water heater is bypassed.
If yes, there is pressure aat the pressure relief valve, does hot water come out of the faucet?

If no hot at the faucets, just cold or luke wark at best, the bypass valve is still open, close it.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
BTW, 10 minutes tells me there is water in the HW tank, so...
Old 11-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #6

Bypass should be AT water heater....could be just one valve.
Turn it one way....bypasses WH
Turn it 1/4 turn other way....water goes into WH
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:00 PM   #7

Bounder water heater supply issue

Thanks to all of y'all for your quick replies. I should've said that opening the safety release valve lets out zero water, so there's no water in the tank. I can't see a bypass valve anywhere. Am hoping to hear from someone who has an older Bounder who can tell me where the supply cut off valve would be on this one. I'm still looking. I will try the one red handled valve at the rear of the coach at different intervals which is the only valve I see. There are no valves anywhere on or close to the water heater. Thanks again! I'll post if I have success or am still perplexed.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:17 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Not only is there no water in the tank, there is no water getting to the tank, no flow. Your HWH tank is likely bypassed. Is the HWH located below the furnace, below the floorline just forward of the curbside rear tire? Can you access the immediate backside if the HWH? In 99% of the applications, the bypass valve(s) is/are there, however I'd also look inside any cabinetry just above the floor just above the HWH. Follow the waterlines.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:53 PM   #9

Yep, Tony, I did take the back panel off the rear of the HWH this morning and was surprised to see or feel no valves in there of any sort. You have the placement correct. I will continue to look elsewhere along the water lines. There's gotta be a valve somewhere that's not allowing water into the tank. Thanks, again!
Old 11-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #10

Those older Bounders have a one valve bypass system. Usually in the compartment just aft of the heater. It will be a 3 port ball valve.

Richard
Old 11-15-2018, 02:57 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Wait to fire up the HWH until you have water pressure at the pressure relief valve, not propane or electric.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:05 PM   #12

Thanks to all. Finally found it!!

I appreciate all your help and suggestions for the valve for my neighbor's water heater on his 99 Bounder. Yesterday we found it just forward of the WH in the bin. Fleetwood suggested under the kitchen sink. Anyway, they got back from a trip and we found it after they cleared the storage bin of crap. Yee Ha! They're happy. Dave

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater