Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Water Pressure In your Coach

I have not been able to find any indication in my manuals as to what kind of water pressure my 05 Southwind can handle. I believe that with this new plumbing that they are installing that they should be able to handle more than 45 lbs. To be on the safe side I'm still using a hose installed pressure regulator.
A friend just informed me that an RV Tech told him that any newer RV should be able to handle 60lbs.
Anyone else hear this?, Are you still using a water reg?

Regards,,,, Craig / RovinOn
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #2

I believe that RVs are "tested" to 100psi - might even be an RVIA rqmt, not sure. Anyone have the ANSI/NFPA 1192 Standard handbook??? The suggested operating psi is certainly in the 60psi range. Regardless, I ALWAYS use a regulator. CG are notorious for pressure surges throughout the day and you never know what one of those might get to.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Your water pump runs around 45 psi, so that is pretty much the minimum the system is good for. As has been said, they are tested (new) well above that, per RVIA regulations. I have my supply regulator set at 60 psi.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I always use a regulator when hooked to city water. Also, I just upgraded to the Shureflo Smartsensor 5.7 water pump. It shuts off at 65 psi. It also augments the city water pressure. So, if city is at 45 psi the pump will always kick in up bring it up to 65. Some may think this is a drawback to that upgrade but the pump is very quiet.
ljr869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:39 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So it looks like I'm going to get a good adjustable regulator to use and I should be able to at least carry 50psi.
Also I'm taking the flow restrictor out of the shower head!
Old 04-10-2009, 12:15 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an 06 Southwind and I have my pressure set at 60psi. I have a separate pressure gauge I use prior to connecting to any outside source. The one time I did not do this I blew a water line under the sink in Whitehorse, YT. Caused a mess under the sink and delayed leaving for half a day while it was fixed.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:51 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Rovin on... when you get a adjustable regulator don't settle for the cheaper basic units sold by most RV suppliers. Get a good one with a gauge and that has a flow rate at least 6 to 9 gal per minute. Typical ones sold at camping suppliers only have a flow rate of about 2 or 3 gal per minute.

The difference is very notable.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The plumbing, for the most part, has no problem with pressures in excess of 100 PSI.

HOWEVER.. Some of the devices, such as the toilet, may pop a seal on the valve shaft at around 60 to 65, Water pressure is kind of like speed, Keep her below double nickles please (55 psi or mph)
Old 04-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the heads up guys,,,,
When I hook my water up to the CG connection I use a Y, one side will be regulated and the other side is used for a utility hose. I've already made a gauge adaptor for the utility side so that I can watch incoming pressure.
The other side I will pick up a proffesional grade plumbing regulator and pipe accordingly.

Regards,
RovinOn / 05 Southwind
Old 04-11-2009, 04:00 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
how does one know what there water pressure is? I know when is use anthing in front of the hose, I have terrible pressure....so I use nothing. Is this bad?

Terry
emeryts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Terry that is why I rigged a gauge for the CG side of the connection to measure their pressure to the site.
Their pressures could surge causing you problems without a regulator.

RovinOn
Old 04-13-2009, 11:00 AM   #12

I didn't realize water pressure was a potential problem. I guess I'll have to get a pressure regulator. Thanks for the heads up. ALSO -I am new to this and I notice that my water pump sounds different if I have the water input valve set to bypass or tank fill without being hooked up to the water supply. Which way should my valve be when not hooked up to shore water? I looked in my manual but didn't see an answer.
jim g
jagage46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
How does it sound different? Like it's working harder on one setting over the other? I've never thought about it but I think I have mine on bypass when I'm using my tank water. I would also like to know which setting the valve should be on.
ljr869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:50 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The valve should be in the Bypass position except when actually filling the tank.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote