Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Unhappy Water pump stops working when on AC

Question for those more experienced than I. We have a 1998 bounder 28t and 2
camping trips ago the water pump stopped when I plugged into ac power. I smelled
electrical in the water pump compartment and it looked like the brown relay
switch had melted. so I ordered a new one online and replaced it and the water
pump worked great even when plugged into ac at the house. Went camping again,
levelled motorhome , plugged into power and after a couple of hours the water
pump quit again. So we roughed it with no pressurized water. After unhooking and
getting ready to pull out, the water pump worked again. Then used the generator
while on the road and the water pump quit again. I am stuck. I like to fix these
things myself , but I may take it in to the professionals to get it fixed. Any
ideas on what's wrong before I bite the bullet and pay the big bucks?
luv2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check all your electrical connections for tightness and corrosion. I don't think connecting to AC could cause a problem with a dc relay.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds to me as though your charging system is putting out too much voltage, giving the water pump relay fits. It works ok from the batteries, but as soon as the charging system (converter or inverter/charger) comes online, the trouble starts.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Talking Thanks for the help

I did take it into the rv shop to the pros with orders to just run a diagnostic and not to replace anything. They did find that the water pump had a bad connection on the positive lead wire and it seemed to be fixed. However ,when I got it home it happened again and I just wiggled the wires a little on the pump and it started up again. it works for now, but I may end up just replacing the water pump so it has new connections on it. I can do that myself. For now it is good to just know what is wrong and a way to fix it. Thanks again for the suggestions!
luv2play is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water