Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Weather pro power awning slow to close

When letting out it seems to work ok, but when bring it back in it's very slow and will stop now and then plus makes noise like it sticking. We have only used it like 20 times if that. Has any one else had any problems with there power awning.
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping4fun
When letting out it seems to work ok, but when bring it back in it's very slow and will stop now and then plus makes noise like it sticking. We have only used it like 20 times if that. Has any one else had any problems with there power awning.
I was hoping to see an answer. May I suggest that you ask the moderators to move this to the rv systems and appliances forum. You might have better luck there.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
My only thought would be to make sure it's lubed in the appropriate places and check to see what could be binding. When I installed some rope light clips on mine I assumed I could just roll up the awning and leave the clips, but that wasn't the case.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping4fun View Post
This subject has been covered a couple of times, if not on this forum then on another.

My WeatherPro does the same as yours and has for several years even though I've had it in for "repair" several times. Apparently it is just something that we will have to live with as it is not at all uncommon.

IMO, I'll never own another WeatherPro as I think it is inferior to even the most basic hand operated awning. It is way too high on the side of our MH to provide any more than minimal shade and if the wind even HINTS of blowing, it closes. No matter how much adjustment is made to our wind sensor it doesn't work properly. The only good thing about it is that it will dump accumulated water and then rise to the original level again. Other than that, it's worthless.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #5

We have a Weatherpro awning that struggles to retract, and sometimes I have to give it a push with a pole to get it going in. The thing I notice is that the long tube is bowed inward toward the motorhome. Has anyone seen this on their awnings?
Retired2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:40 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired2000
We have a Weatherpro awning that struggles to retract, and sometimes I have to give it a push with a pole to get it going in. The thing I notice is that the long tube is bowed inward toward the motorhome. Has anyone seen this on their awnings?
Mine as a small bow in it to, I spoked to a RV tech last week about it and he told me that they have never seen any trouble out of the weather pro power awning lol all I read is trouble. I had a Care Free Col. power awning on my old MH wish I had it back ( awning )
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:50 AM   #7

I have carefree which has looks like little rubber wheels I spray them with silicone to stop them from squeaking during retracking.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired2000 View Post
One thing you might check is the voltage at the motor when it is retracting. If the wiring is too small or there is a bad electrical connection the voltage may be dropping too low.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm4015 View Post
One thing you might check is the voltage at the motor when it is retracting. If the wiring is too small or there is a bad electrical connection the voltage may be dropping too low.
Have you tried extending and retracting with the engine running to assure full voltage?
slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
Cat

It is something you do have to get used to, and it is common. During cooler weather ours closes slowly but will close. As it the outside gets hotter the awning gets slower and sometime stops. If you wait a couple minutes then just slightly move it to extend then to retract it will come all the way in. The problem is there is thermal circuit breaker for the motor. It takes all the power the motor can make to roll it back up. When it gets hotter the shock pressure in the awning shocks increase making it harder for the motor to roll up the awning. At the same time the temperature is higher and closer to the trip point of the thermal circuit breaker, so it pops and you to wait until it resets itself. It is a pia but it will always come in.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine works very slow as well and its a replacement (2009). I don't have help for you, but I do want to pass along the following information. Mine was replaced because the original was destroyed during suprise thunderstorm while vacationing in Pigeon Forge, TN. It did not automatically retract and failed to dump the accumulated water. It failed to perform as intended on all counts. Dometic was of no help to me so I had to sue them in small claims court. The ruling went in my favor so they had to replace it. During the hearing the Dometic representative stated that Fleetwood was actually at fault because of their placement of the rooftop wind sensor (too close A/C). The new awning's wind sensor is now located at the top of the front awning arm.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like.....

If the power awnings are anything like the manual ones there is a big spring which resembles a rollup garage door spring inside. They have been known to slip, and also to get weak with age. And sometimes the installers do not pre-load them properly.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #13
Cat

I know this is an old thread but it might help someone. I finally got tired of the awning not coming all the way in one try. Depending on how hot the weather is the harder it would to get my in. I checked voltages I checked the motor draws I checked grounds. Long story is you have two wires going to the awning motor one wire is ground going out and the other wire power. When you bring it in the wires change the wire that was power is now ground and the wire that was ground is now power. The wire that became the ground was not a good ground. The relays in the control were not allowing a good ground. I found this manually powering (jumper wire) running and grounding the motor. Everything worked great. The next step was to bring in the awning until it stopped once it did I ran a jumper wire for the ground side of the motor and it came the rest of the way in.
I have bypassed the control using dpdt momentary switch. It is amazing how much faster it goes out and comes in no matter what the weather is. Finally And the wind sensor never worked that great anyway so I dont miss it. Hope it helps somebody.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:23 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Thanks. That might come in handy some day.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, power