Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2017, 12:51 PM   #1
wps

Weird Air Conditioner Behavior When On Generator

I have a 2003 Bounder 36D. 30 amps. Front and rear AC work fine when plugged in. When on the generator, the front ac will only kick in if the rear ac or rear fan is on. When it's just the front ac on the fan works but when I switch to cooling it goes to and stays in a shed state with red light constantly on. That is suppose to indicate not enough current and yet it works fine with both ac units on which would certainly draw more current.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Pat
wps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2017, 04:33 PM   #2

Don't know of any appliance that can determine available current.
Voltage maybe but I think not.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
wps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgrace56 View Post
Don't know of any appliance that can determine available current.
Voltage maybe but I think not.
Yea, it has me stumped. Don't see how it is a current issue as when the rear ac is on the front will work fine which would draw more current than just the front ac being on.

Thanks,
Pat
Old 03-29-2017, 08:03 PM   #4

I think, most older Bounders only have 30 amp capability...with 2 AC running you are pushing the 30 amp limit. What is the max current or wattage of your generator? Also you can buy or make a cable clamp that clamps onto a cable in question and detects and displays the amperage draw.

One Bounder owner here last summer had rewired his 30 amp plug to 50 amp plug and plugged it into the the park pedestal...about a week later and 106 degrees outside, runing both AC units and microwave, he fried the other end of his shore power cable - coach 30 amp AC input connector!

You need to review your situation again. Good Luck,
John
Old 03-30-2017, 12:06 AM   #5

I'll start by saying I don't know the shed controller you have but on mine I have an Intellitec ECC system. That being said, I learned that the ECC will not start the compressor until it measures one (1) amp of AC current for three minutes. The purpose is to protect the compressor if you have a power interruption. Imagine this scenario, the AC is humming along and the power drops out for a second. When the power is restored, the compressor will have to start with high head pressure, (not good). So the ECC delays the compressor for three minuets to let the pressure equalize and start normally. Two thoughts, the front fan is not drawing enough current to trigger the ECC to start the three minute delay or the ECC is not operating properly. I have noticed on my system the AC's draw less current from the generator than the shore power because the generator voltage is about ten volts higher than the shore power. Turn on the front AC, pop some popcorn and see if the increased current draw will trigger the AC on the generator.

Confused now
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:33 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow. 30a service with EMS system that automatically managed loads and would shed one compressor if needed to do so. It would occasionally have behavior similarily to described. A power on reset of cutting off DC to the system would restore normal operation. The coach DC disconnect switch could be used to do this. Failing that, as I understood, the panel could be opened and DC power wire disconnected.

Note a wiring difference when using generator. With generator the rear air conditioner is on a separate circuit direct from the generator, iirc.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:13 AM   #7
wps

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderRV View Post
I'll start by saying I don't know the shed controller you have but on mine I have an Intellitec ECC system. That being said, I learned that the ECC will not start the compressor until it measures one (1) amp of AC current for three minutes. The purpose is to protect the compressor if you have a power interruption. Imagine this scenario, the AC is humming along and the power drops out for a second. When the power is restored, the compressor will have to start with high head pressure, (not good). So the ECC delays the compressor for three minuets to let the pressure equalize and start normally. Two thoughts, the front fan is not drawing enough current to trigger the ECC to start the three minute delay or the ECC is not operating properly. I have noticed on my system the AC's draw less current from the generator than the shore power because the generator voltage is about ten volts higher than the shore power. Turn on the front AC, pop some popcorn and see if the increased current draw will trigger the AC on the generator.

Confused now
I believe you hit the nail on the head. I placed some load on the generator (lights, fans, etc.) and the front AC runs as expected. Thanks so much for the help and your knowledge of this.

Best,
Pat
Old 03-30-2017, 07:15 AM   #8
wps

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I had a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow. 30a service with EMS system that automatically managed loads and would shed one compressor if needed to do so. It would occasionally have behavior similarily to described. A power on reset of cutting off DC to the system would restore normal operation. The coach DC disconnect switch could be used to do this. Failing that, as I understood, the panel could be opened and DC power wire disconnected.

Note a wiring difference when using generator. With generator the rear air conditioner is on a separate circuit direct from the generator, iirc.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the DC disconnect and reconnect with no change. I believe SpyderRV had the solution.

Thanks again,
Pat
Old 03-31-2017, 06:34 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We're having somewhat of a similar situation. We had our RV in storage & picked it up today. It started with no problem. Hotter than heck & since we were going to have a 30amp hookup we also started the generator so we could run both ACs. Both started, no problem. When we got to our RV spot my husband, not really thinking about it, turned off the generator & plugged in. We got the front AC going & shut the bedroom door. About an hour later it wasn't cooling enough so we decided to put the generator back on & run both ACs. However, when we turned on the generator, neither AC would run & it showed on our power thing we were using 31amps, even tho nothing was running. We tried shutting off the generator & it still showed we were using 31amps & we couldn't get either AC to run. Finally went to the post, shut off the breaker, waited, then turned it back on, & it showed about 3 amps being used. The front AC will now run but nothing from the back one. Can't get the fan to run or anything. The back one is only a few years old. Anyone have any thoughts?? We have a 2006 Monaco DP, with an 8000 wt generator. Thanks.
karencollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:23 AM   #10
wps

Quote:
Originally Posted by karencollins View Post
We're having somewhat of a similar situation. We had our RV in storage & picked it up today. It started with no problem. Hotter than heck & since we were going to have a 30amp hookup we also started the generator so we could run both ACs. Both started, no problem. When we got to our RV spot my husband, not really thinking about it, turned off the generator & plugged in. We got the front AC going & shut the bedroom door. About an hour later it wasn't cooling enough so we decided to put the generator back on & run both ACs. However, when we turned on the generator, neither AC would run & it showed on our power thing we were using 31amps, even tho nothing was running. We tried shutting off the generator & it still showed we were using 31amps & we couldn't get either AC to run. Finally went to the post, shut off the breaker, waited, then turned it back on, & it showed about 3 amps being used. The front AC will now run but nothing from the back one. Can't get the fan to run or anything. The back one is only a few years old. Anyone have any thoughts?? We have a 2006 Monaco DP, with an 8000 wt generator. Thanks.
No advice for your issue but my front and rear ac will run on 30 amp plug in. If I run the microwave the ECC unit will temporarily shut one ac down and then start it back up when power is again available.

Best,
Pat
Old 04-01-2017, 12:14 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Something weird is going on. Today we shut off the front AC (back still not working) & turned on the generator. Then we started the front Ac, let it get going, then turned on the back. Lo & behold it started. Then we shut them both off & shut off the generator. We plugged into the 50 amp outlet next door & only the front AC will work. We're stumped
Old 04-02-2017, 06:41 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Something weird is going on. Today we shut off the front AC (back still not working) & turned on the generator. Then we started the front Ac, let it get going, then turned on the back. Lo & behold it started. Then we shut them both off & shut off the generator. We plugged into the 50 amp outlet next door & only the front AC will work. We're stumped
The two AC's are on different legs of the 50 amps. It sounds like your changeover box is not working on one leg of the power cord. If you are comfortable with working on the changeover box, Open the box and visually check the connections. Loose wires are common in the changeover boxes. It also could be the campground power. Maybe one leg of the campground 50 amp circuit is dead.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:25 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
It's definitely not the campground power. Where is the changeover box located.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:22 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
It's definitely not the campground power. Where is the changeover box located.
Every manufacturer installs them in a different place. Follow your power cord until you find it.

Tags
air conditioner, generator