Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2018, 09:32 PM   #1

What are the black boxes behind the breaker box?

So I had this sizzling noise, or maybe a rattle snake behind the breaker box in the bedroom. I found an access panel on the side of the cabinet where the TV used to live and by that time the noise had stopped. I was off shore power and had exercised the Genny about a half hour before I heard the noise(genny off now) and only charging batteries on solar at the time.

Directly behind the panel were three boxes:
One says "Max Low Side 10 Amp Latching Controller",

The other is really hard to read(covered with wiring), but I can see "Current sensor, Element Controller and Output shorted and Ac 1" on it.

The last one is the transfer switch and it says, Transfer Relay delay 00-00568-000 industrial controller equipment type 1 load rating: 15A 120VAC 60HZ single phase"

Until it does it's sizzling thing again, I have no idea which one was making the noise, but it's not a "good" sound.

I've been around a lot of trailers, TC's, Class C's and this is my second A with never encountering these UFO's, so any info is appreciated. I know for a fact that the one making all the noise either needs replacing or disassembly and a cleaning of contacts.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2018, 04:07 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The "Latching Controller" box is most likely for the water pump. Mine is mounted in the basement next to my water pump, however.
To check it, shut off city water if hooked up, and have your wife cycle the switch a couple of times while you listen to the controller, or, if your hearing is as old as mine, lightly touch the box and see if you can feel the vibration of the relay when she hits the switch.

While you're in there I might suggest checking all the terminals on all the boxes for tightness. Loose connections cause heat buildup and could likely be the source of your sizzling noise.
Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
The "Latching Controller" box is most likely for the water pump. Mine is mounted in the basement next to my water pump, however.
To check it, shut off city water if hooked up, and have your wife cycle the switch a couple of times while you listen to the controller, or, if your hearing is as old as mine, lightly touch the box and see if you can feel the vibration of the relay when she hits the switch.

While you're in there I might suggest checking all the terminals on all the boxes for tightness. Loose connections cause heat buildup and could likely be the source of your sizzling noise.
I initially though it might be something loose and it still might. But man, these things are jammed into a tiny eye level cabinet and covered with both 12 and 12v wiring. I think the only way to get better access is to make a much larger access hole in the sidewall of the TV cubby.

We roll out this afternoon for 3 days at the beach, so I just have to hope things all work until I can get back and do 'cabinet surgery'.

...I will be taking the Multi Meter........
Old 03-19-2018, 07:27 PM   #4

You don't smell any electrical/plastic odors? Anything that sizzles, besides a steak has to be electrical wiring! If you are in the right place where the sound came from, you should smell the brunt wires....and most of the time it's a wire nut that came loose. Beware of wire nuts on motor coaches. They should be outlawed.

Good Luck and enjoy the beach. It was 86 degrees today here in Abbeville Louisiana.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:40 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Man KF5UMC, you're killin' me. We were supposed to be camped at Palmetto Island tonight, working our way slowly towards Pensacola. Instead, I'm sitting here in the coach alone while my wife is in the hospital awaiting a stent. It was only in the 50's here today and quite breezy.
Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:30 PM   #6

While plugged into shore power, it sizzled at about 0300 this morning. Took the access panel off and stuck my fingers on top of all 3 black boxes.....I feel nothing when the sound happens. Also, there is no smell, and I wiggled wires and pushed down all connectors to those boxes (at least the ones I could see).
When it happens again I'm going to record it.....this has me baffled. Now it's happened on an soon off of shore power.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:27 PM   #7

Without hearing the noise, it’s hard to guess. When you mentioned hearing it while your sc2030 was in operation my initial thoughts were you were hearing electrical noise translated into audible by one of the components. Your solar charger is a PWM unit which can induce noise into some items such as my inverters in my case which produce a slight hum/crackle when my batteries are high into the charge cycle and the controllers are significantly regulating voltage. I can’t guess what you dc converter is doing but most components in RVs are poorly filtered and electrically noisy.

If possible get someone with a good electrical background working with you and sort this out as soon as possible. If the problem manifests with your solar, or inverter it’s easy to switch to strictly battery power which is very clean and virtually electrical noise free. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:58 PM   #8

It kinda sounds like someone slowly tearing a large piece of parchment paper.......
Old 03-26-2018, 02:49 AM   #9

Any signs of rodents? Have you checked to see if a recent failure has occurred within the RV's many, many systems? Leaky hydraulic jack. Just not enough info to diagnosis.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:15 AM   #10

No, no mice and nothing has failed....yet....the suspense is killing me.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:07 AM   #11

I ve had a transfer relay and a celanoid go bad on my 97 bounder. And I’ve had the air conditioner delays for 30 amp controller go bad (or the brain that controls that tells what amp devices can be used before it sheds). If its a transfer relay - about 1 1/2 “ by 1” by 2” long - they get burnt and sticky. Take pictures and call Fleetwood and they will identify the parts for you. Unfortunately for me, the relay controlled the engine and when it failed a pat 6am everything shut down. No engine, breaks,lights, anything powered on the chassis. Good luck We are on Watts Bar and its a cold March!
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker