Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2015, 12:22 AM   #1

Question What mods first for an older RV? (1990 bounder)

I am resurrecting father-in-law's 1990 bounder. Due to health issues and his wife passing away years ago, its sat for the last 10 years in his yard. The last week found me dropping the tank, draining 45 gallons of 10 year old gas, replacing the fuel filter, pump, some lines, bleeding the brakes, replacing one caliper, doing a tune up and getting it smogged.

We've got someone coming by tomorrow to test the LP, electrical and refrigeration systems just to make sure its all in good shape.

New tires will be installed next week and barring no major issues with tomorrow's inspection, we're hoping to take grandpa on one last RV trip to the beach sometime in July.

He's asked me to keep the motorhome in the family and use it with our kids (7 and 10) and despite the dementia, some of his most vivid memories are of the 70,000 miles worth of trips and vacations taken in his bounder.

(sorry for the novel, I have a question, really)

If we're going to keep the bounder, it clearly needs some modern updates. After driving it around town today, and thinking about it, these are the things I think should be looked at first, but since this is our family's first RV, I'm wide open to suggestions.

1) Back up camera, just no doubt there.
2) Good GPS. Phones are nice and all, but I want a really good GPS I can count on.
3) replace/upgrade/change the generator. Fired that thing up, my GOD is it loud.

I'll definitely be taking out the two 13" CRT tvs and the VCR players and putting in some flat screens and possibly setting up a media server so the kids can have their favorites during evening wind-down time.

What would you guys do first to rejuvinate an aging RV?
Ronmocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2015, 03:57 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check out Amazon for back up cameras, you can get some deals there. Two kinds are wireless and cabled.
For the GPS, I would say the Garmin RV760LMT, we love ours.
The Generator is going to be the expensive one. If it runs well, I would look at noise reduction technology.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:39 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Both samsung and vizio make some really decent 12 volt tv's. And of course now they are all smart tv's making access to a media server all the easier.

Sounds to me like you are on top of it. I wouldn't do much more unless it was really needed.

You "could" replace the genset, but.... I think the question is will you be using it often enough to make it worth the money spent?

Further, I agree! GET ON THE ROAD Talk about some wonderful times ahead!
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:57 AM   #4

Change all fluids. Rear end, trans, engine. Pack bearings in front end.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:36 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
Change all fluids. Rear end, trans, engine. Pack bearings in front end.
As well as all belts & hoses. Wheel brake cylinders are also probably rusted/pitted, the list gets fairly long but sitting beside the road ain't fun.

Any GPS will do, a new smarter converter/charger and an inverter. Generator should be OK if a good muffler and all the seals/covers are on it. Most generator noise can be traced to mechanical noise which can be cured.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:04 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions. Looking at the generator, there isn't even a muffler on it right now, just a straight pipe, no wonder its so loud!

As for mechanicals, we're going to do all the hoses, belts, etc at a local reputable place next week. I'll also have them look at the generator.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronmocking View Post
I am resurrecting father-in-law's 1990 bounder. Due to health issues and his wife passing away years ago, its sat for the last 10 years in his yard. The last week found me dropping the tank, draining 45 gallons of 10 year old gas, replacing the fuel filter, pump, some lines, bleeding the brakes, replacing one caliper, doing a tune up and getting it smogged.

We've got someone coming by tomorrow to test the LP, electrical and refrigeration systems just to make sure its all in good shape.

New tires will be installed next week and barring no major issues with tomorrow's inspection, we're hoping to take grandpa on one last RV trip to the beach sometime in July.

He's asked me to keep the motorhome in the family and use it with our kids (7 and 10) and despite the dementia, some of his most vivid memories are of the 70,000 miles worth of trips and vacations taken in his bounder.

(sorry for the novel, I have a question, really)

If we're going to keep the bounder, it clearly needs some modern updates. After driving it around town today, and thinking about it, these are the things I think should be looked at first, but since this is our family's first RV, I'm wide open to suggestions.

1) Back up camera, just no doubt there.
2) Good GPS. Phones are nice and all, but I want a really good GPS I can count on.
3) replace/upgrade/change the generator. Fired that thing up, my GOD is it loud.
I'll definitely be taking out the two 13" CRT tvs and the VCR players and putting in some flat screens and possibly setting up a media server so the kids can have their favorites during evening wind-down time.
What would you guys do first to rejuvinate an aging RV?
Ronmocking
The generator may only need a replacement muffler and tail pipe.
IMO if you want "upgraded everything" you best buy a newer coach, you will be money ahead.
Good luck.
Mel
'96 Safari, 141k miles, (and good enough for me).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Ronmocking
The generator may only need a replacement muffler and tail pipe.
IMO if you want "upgraded everything" you best buy a newer coach, you will be money ahead.
Good luck.
Mel
'96 Safari, 141k miles, (and good enough for me).
If it weren't for the sentimental attachment to this coach, I'd rather get a new 5th wheel, but this has been in the family since it was purchased with 67 miles on it and one of my father-in-law's last wishes were that we take the kids on an adventure in it. I'd like to honor that request.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronmocking View Post
If it weren't for the sentimental attachment to this coach, I'd rather get a new 5th wheel, but this has been in the family since it was purchased with 67 miles on it and one of my father-in-law's last wishes were that we take the kids on an adventure in it. I'd like to honor that request.
Ronmocking
I understand completely.
If it wasn't for the emotional attachment I have for my old coach It wouldn't be in as good shape as it is.... and it would not have been nickel and diming, (and sometimes dolloring ), me to death for the past 12 years.
Mel
'96 Safari, 141k miles, (mine for 14 years).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:43 AM   #10

Tell us if it's on a Ford, Chevy or Oshkosh chassis. All three have their failings.

Richard
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:32 PM   #11

Probably needs new shocks. Have the whole front suspension/steering checked for wear.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:59 PM   #12

1 - On any F53 the first thing to look at is the rear sway bar bushings. If they are black in rubber they are probably destroyed and the coach does swing a lot. Change for new ones you can get for a few dollars on ebay or amazon.

2 - Clean the connectors going to the Battery Control Center if this BCC is at the front of the truck. If there is corrosion, the cables will heat and the isolator plastic will melt and it could destroy your truck.

3 - Go under the truck and follow the + battery cable for the chassis and for the coach. Each time it turns a corner it probably lost part of the protection and a fire could start. Add protection and use tie wrap.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:24 AM   #13

Your list is a good start. Hang out in the Vintage section and search this site for mods and upgrades. Great info and ideas. Replacing carpet was first on my list. Now I have moved on to new furniture and counter tops. By using your rig it will tell you what your next project will be. My last trip it rained, I needed boot scrapers. where you live that might be a higher priority. My only complaint of the old bounders is the lack of room in the bathroom. I am working on that too.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS7201 View Post
Tell us if it's on a Ford, Chevy or Oshkosh chassis. All three have their failings.

Richard
Its a Chevy Chassis.

Shocks were replaced 10 years ago right before the last trip it took.

Tags
bounder