Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #1

What the heck is Cradlepoint?

our new Discovery came with Cradlepoint IBR600 Series. Is this the wi-fi extender, or router, or both? I'm not very tech savvy and not sure how to use this.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #2

I've known cradlepoint to be a cellular modem/router. (It will take a sim card for cellular service and re-transmit it to a wired(if equipped) and wifi network. A Quick google search returned a bit more about it. It looks like a really nice to have!
Old 07-13-2019, 06:27 AM   #3

Sounds like you have a similar setup as I in my 2019 Southwind.

The specific cradlepoint model installed in our coaches is a router with a USB port intended to have a USB modem attached to provide internet service. It can also connect to a campground WiFi for a WiFi as WAN connection.

I found the cradle point to be cumbersome and have all but abandoned its use. In particular, trying to navigate the configuration interface from a phone or tablet is an exercise in futility. If you have a laptop, navigating the interface is much better from what I have read.

I had to do a good amount of google searches to learn how to configure the router for WiFi as WAN. If you set it up with the USB modem, then the setup is once an done. From that point forward your devices connect to the SSID of the router. Using the WiFi as WAN has to be updated each time you move to a new campground.

This was as far as I got before throwing in the towel. Perhaps someone with more experience with Cradlepoint can help more. Note to others that this particular model that Fleetwood chose to install does not have sim slots or internal modem.
Festag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:17 AM   #4

Note it seems cradlepoint has just switched to a paid annual subscription support model, which will require paying about $180 per year just to get security firmware updates on most of their products.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:30 AM   #5

Would I be better off getting something like WiFi Ranger? I just need something that I can have all my devices connected to and not have to put in 6 different passwords in at each CG.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippytwo View Post
Would I be better off getting something like WiFi Ranger? I just need something that I can have all my devices connected to and not have to put in 6 different passwords in at each CG.
To me that’s spending money on money. The device you have installed from the factory is about $600 so I’m guessing that the “option” that it was included in is much more than that. I can’t remember the cost of a wifi-ranger but I thought it was about $400? Why would you do that when what you need is already there? I can’t believe that it’s going to be much of a different interface as it’s really doing the same thing as the ranger.

For me when I went on the road I just bought a cheaper Pepwave. Surf on the Go router that all my devices connect to and it connects to the cellular modem that we use and I really never change anything. I don’t bother with campground wifi as it’s not that good I’m most placed anyway. I think in 2 years of full-timing I’ve connected to campground wifi 2x and one of them it was just to see how fast it was.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:56 AM   #7

For me....all these over- priced devices are just a pain to set up, configure and just when you get it right, they are out-dated. Traded in my RV and left my Wifi Ranger Sky on it...good riddance. Never worked right, setup was a pain and updates only made it worst.
New RV has a Winegard Connect 2.0. I just buy their data when I need it or use the free wifi when available. The data is actually cheaper than my plan. Nothing to do but simply use and its app works perfectly.
But hey, my 2 cents. Sure is entertaining reading about the rest though.
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:43 AM   #8

I have tried calling Ceadlepoint but after a 1/2 on hold I hung up. I guess I have to call them back. I have T-mobile with unlimited data (up to 50gb), but it sounds like I have to get a additional plan. Like I said before, I’m not very tech savvy, but I guess I will try and contact them again. If I can’t figure it out then maybe I will check out Wingaurd, but I hate to spend even more money.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:12 AM   #9

Maybe this will help you. You could potentially take the sim out of the existing access point and put it into the cradlepoint.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:48 AM   #10

I have an IBR600 myself but don't see anywhere to put in a sim card. Will this just pickup park wifi without sim card. Have tried to call Cradlepoint twice, hung up both times due to being on hold over 30 minutes both times. Pretty much giving up trying to configure. Does this boost wifi signal or just set up a wireless network.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:41 AM   #11

I called Cradlepoint again and got customer service pretty fast (was at 8 am). I have the IBR600 and she said it was already at the end of life. She also didn’t know that this model did, but she did say it doesn’t have a SIM card. She said because I had just bought the MH that she would allow me what sounded like was one free service call and transferred me to a Tech. The Tech walked me thru how to set it up, but it turned out that the web browser on the iPad and iPhone didn’t work with it. Since I don’t have a laptop I went inside the house to use the web browser on my Windows PC to try and set it up ( the MH is in my drive way right now). I wasn’t able to connect to the Cradlepoint on the PC and thought it was because I was to far away from it to connect, so we ended the service call, but I thought I would know what to do once I got to a CG. I did decide to bring my PC to the MH and try it again, but I still couldn’t get it to connect to Cradlepoint. I know that the MH is close enough to the house to pick up my WiFi because my pc picked it up from the MH, but when I tried to change the network to Cradlepoint it would say no network connection.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:29 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a Teltonika router which is a competitor to cradlepoint. It takes the AT&T SIM from my old hotspot. It also has an ethernet input that will override the SIM if an internet connection is available. It will allow me to supply one wifi network all the time in the coach regardless of the type of connectivity. This is great for my wife who only has to connect to one wifi network and also for the smart TV and smart DVD player that don't have to be reconfigured at each RV park.

Also, I use a ubiquiti nanostation loco M2 which is a directional wifi antenna that outputs an ethernet signal when connected to (the RV park's wifi). So when we hit a new RV park, I configure the nanostation to pick up the park's wifi, then hook it to the teltonika router supplies the wifi signal to the entire coach.

For more information on the ubiquiti nanostation loco, see this video: https://youtu.be/-i8SmOf5ZTw .
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote