RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2015, 07:52 AM   #15

I would service the generator sooner than later. 100 hrs or a year ago is a long time especially on the age. Synthetic fresh oil and filter is a must for it to run smooth. Fuel filters also get bad when sitting.

As for running AC on gennset.

When I run genset, I let it run 5- 10 mins.
Then I fire up 1 Ac on manual temp low. Not auto or max. The Ac will charge up. Then I will let that 1 Ac run for 15-20 mins. You can hear or feel load on genset.

Then later 30 mins or so I will fire up second Ac on low manually.

As the AC begin to cool, 1 hour later I will put 1 on auto and let her adjust and soon after the other.

The load is hard on the genset with both Ac on max cool at start up.
Genset have wear just like us! Lol!

It works well for me! Just my experience.

Good luck!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2015, 03:07 AM   #16

I have a "generator meter" on a 120V wire of the motorhome.

On eBay search for "Generator meter". I took the green looking one for 8$US or 12$Can. You have the frequency and the voltage and the count of hours. Some meter can show lower voltages (1 to 200V) and would be better but they are a more expensive.

Solution 1 - If you put it directly on the 120V wires that comes from the Generator before the Electrical Distribution Box, it will cumulates only the hours of the Generator.

Solution 2 - If you put it on the 120V wires after the Electrical Distribution Box or on any 120V outlet then the counter will cumulated the hours of the 120V from Generator+Shore+Inverter. But if the generator is at fault and gives only a few volts and can not close the transfer switch relay you will see nothing on the meter.

This meter will last longer if it is connected only to the generator. So I chose solution 1.

This solution is not perfect. There is two output live wires on my 5.5kw (30A) generator and I have only one meter. But it tells you clearly if the generator is working good.

Also, for bigger generator that produce two phases (50A) I suppose we could connect it on White and Black (or the Red) to get the reading for 120V or on Black and Red to get 240V reading. I don't have a 50a generator so I never saw the setup.

Too bad Fleetwood did not installed one in the first place. Just a few dollars.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonykeys View Post
I would service the generator sooner than later. 100 hrs or a year ago is a long time especially on the age. Synthetic fresh oil and filter is a must for it to run smooth. Fuel filters also get bad when sitting.

As for running AC on gennset.

When I run genset, I let it run 5- 10 mins.
Then I fire up 1 Ac on manual temp low. Not auto or max. The Ac will charge up. Then I will let that 1 Ac run for 15-20 mins. You can hear or feel load on genset.

Then later 30 mins or so I will fire up second Ac on low manually.

As the AC begin to cool, 1 hour later I will put 1 on auto and let her adjust and soon after the other.

The load is hard on the genset with both Ac on max cool at start up.
Genset have wear just like us! Lol!

It works well for me! Just my experience.

Good luck!
Many thanks for this information. i will do it that way from now on.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:10 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbilodeau View Post
As usual, you are Way off base in your understanding (actually a gross misunderstanding) of the power systems you are discussing.

The power coming from the Generator goes to a "Transfer Relay Delay" and/or "Transfer switch". If the power from the generator is not high enough, the relay will not close and your meter connected to a 120V outlet will not show anything. If the Transfer switch is at fault, he will not know either if the Generator or the transfer switch is the problem. Your solution is not very much better than connecting a lamp on the outlet.

He needs a meter connected idealy on the wires coming from the generator.

Your constant advise, in this and other posts, for folks to change/replace/buy meters (or any other part) based strictly on misunderstanding, is ludicrous. You should pursue a better understanding of these systems prior to making erroneous and potentially costly recommendations.
Actually it's your lack of understanding of the English language that's crating the problem. Assez, aller.

Old Bounder's posts are right on.

Richard
RLS7201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS7201 View Post
Actually it's your lack of understanding of the English language that's crating the problem. Assez, aller.

Old Bounder's posts are right on.

Richard

He said: "Plug either meter into a regular outlet and see what they say".

This means clearly to plug both suggested tools into a "regular outlet" and not on the generator wires.

Tags
transfer switch