Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to DonBauer
Where to mount GPS?

Hi all,

New to the forum. Just picked up our 2014 Bounder 35k on Friday(24th). This is my 4th RV, so I am busy prepping my "standard" mods (Banks power, A/V setups, Vent covers, Stabilizers, etc). My coach doesn't have integrated GPS (if they offer it), and I have the large form factor Garmin with a suction cup mount. How are people mounting their GPS on these rigs? (I am sure floor plan has little to do with the cockpit). The covering and texture on the dash area will not support any suction cup mounting. I am trying to avoid sticking some big flat black disk on my dash permanently...

For our trip home (Ohio to VA) after picking it up, I mounted it to the drivers side window (non-sliding part).. Not very convenient if I want to open my window, and a stretch to reach...

I was interested in how others were doing this..

TIA

Don & Erin
DonBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2014, 08:11 PM   #2

Passenger side widow. She hardly opens window anyway.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:43 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If yours is like mine, your dash radio is a pioneer and they make an add on module so you can have navigation built in the radio. I added it and it works great. Price isn't too bad either. They mounted it in the hidden compartment in the top of the dash left of the drivers seat.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:00 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I purchased the Garmin bean bag mount from Amazon.
It attaches directly to the Garmin and sits on the sloped edge of the dash.
Stays put no matter what the road conditions are.
Can move it around if we want.
Very pleased!
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:27 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
How large is your GPS...we bought the Rand McNally (7inch) and had the same problem in our 2003 Bounder...we put the gps on the included suction/stand and ended up having to stick it in one of the cup holders...not very efficient and my husband had to do all the navigating...also not very efficient...;-)

Bernie & Mac McDowell
mttop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
If yours is like mine, your dash radio is a pioneer and they make an add on module so you can have navigation built in the radio. I added it and it works great. Price isn't too bad either. They mounted it in the hidden compartment in the top of the dash left of the drivers seat.
With having the same rig as yourself, I'm curious to this module you mentioned. Little more info on it and maybe a photo would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
olddog49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:42 PM   #7

get the bean bag mount works good.
Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I ordered it yesterday...there are quite a few available for different models. I also bought the "hood" for glare...have never liked the film type shield.

I just checked with Rand McNally and found ones for twice the price on their web site...then went to Amazon and bought the same thing a lot cheaper.

Bernie & Mac McDowell
Old 11-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #9

I think I would want to shop for a GPS program first & then decide what your going to use to run it on then work on a mounting solution.

Delorme Street Atlas is excellent GPS navigation software. Voice command and spoken direction. Don't want to have your eyes on the GPS trying to navigate. Worth a look. Can also be run on tablets & such.

Earthmate GPS - DeLorme
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to DonBauer
Thanks all! Bean bag mount ordered.. I am going to design a bracket that can use existing screws on the dash, more to come.
DonBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #11

I love the bean bag mount too. It sits on the dash between the DW and me and she can reach it to program a destination or whatever and I can see it and hear it as I drive. It never shifts out of position as I drive.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:12 PM   #12
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by the trainguy View Post
I purchased the Garmin bean bag mount from Amazon.
It attaches directly to the Garmin and sits on the sloped edge of the dash.
Stays put no matter what the road conditions are.
Can move it around if we want.
Very pleased!
I did mine the same way. Been working well for years. Easy to move between the coach and toad.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:28 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The module is just that, a little metal box about 4 inches square by 1 inch deep that you can hide in or under the dash and the navigation is then integrated into your existing radio. Pioneer makes it to upgrade your existing radio
Old 11-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I got mine for my 7" Rand McNally...ordered from Amazon. It is a donut looking beanbag that fits the GPS perfectly. I also ordered the hood from amazon and it too fits very well

Bernie McDowell

Tags
dash, gps, mount