Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2014, 07:05 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Windshield Shade

We have a hard time cooling the coach down, we have the inside curtian but that does nothing as far as the sun coming thru the windshield. I have been looking at shades, (WOW, expensive) and noticed I have snaps outlining the perimeter of my glass and side windows. Does anyone know where I might could get an outside shade that would attach to the existing snaps?
FMCA F438950
AUPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2014, 07:46 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Windshield shade

There are many RV interior and exterior manufactures that produce all types of covers. I would suggest contacting and awning shop, or marine canvas shop, (custom Bimini) in your area. You already have the snaps or fasteners installed on your exterior so you'll need hands on measurements to enable an exact fit. You may have to replace the old fittings but that's better than filling with an epoxy and trying to match coach front cap colors. The shop can recommend the correct material to be used. We have made our own as I was into sailing and canvas work many many years ago. We are presently full time in our coach and even with the interior and exterior windshield covers it was still quite warm in the coach. An inexpensive fix, go to Lowes in their insulation area you'll find a roll of reflective silver insulation. It's approximately 3/8 inch thick. Measure and cut with scissors the insulation to fit your exposed interior windows. Note; cut a little oversize and push in with your fingers it will snap into position most times in the smaller window. You may need double sided sticky carpet tape or mounting tape it's a little easier to work with. Adhere to your windshield and exposed windows. This works great and is cheap. Keeps the coach interior below 80 degrees and usually around 70 or lower if needed. Give that a try. For the long run we are sewing our Lowes silver insulation to the inside of our exterior windshield cover. Right now it is mounted with industrial 3M double sided tape and holding.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #3

The best way is to block the sun before it enters the MH by putting a solar screen cover across the windshield. That way you can block the uv rays and still look out.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #4

you are doing the right thing by wanting to install some thing on the out side of the windshield

doing any thing to block UV from inside the RV can hurt the rubber or glue thats holes the windshield in place
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:01 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two years ago we purchased the Magna Shade windshield and side window shades. Yes, they were expensive but worth every penny in my opinion. The nice thing is you don't loose visibility looking out. With a little research, you can probably find the right material to have shades custom made to fit your existing snaps.
Grandpavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:07 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Our dash is Dr. Brown so I put 2 white beach towels over it and has really helped. I also have curtains that are lined.
It helps,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:46 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the ideas, I am looking at the magna shades but have to recover from the Koni's. Suppose to meet with a guy who does upholstery, he thinks he can help.
FMCA F438950
AUPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:53 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
As a quick fix we did just what Clayobx said with the foil bubble insulation. The a/c could not keep up while we were parked facing perfectly to catch the sun through the windshield most of the day. Hated to block the view but the foil stuff with some careful measuring and cutting worked great. The outside shade will be a decision later.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote