Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Worried about the cold weather

Hey all we have a 2013 Fleetwood Expedition and this is the first time in over a year that we have spent extended days in cold weather. We are from Florida and started fulltiming earlier this year. We're now in Tennessee for the next couple weeks and the overnight temperatures will be in the low to mid twenties. We have gotten a lot of advice but none from any Fleetwood owners so I thought I would post on here. My question is what do you think we need to do with the tanks? We know to keep our fresh water tank full and we're doing that. However even that is a concern if we do laundry or something that gets our tank down to a third of a tank or so. Will that be an issue? Also what about the gray tank? Do we leave it open or should we keep it closed and drain it when it's warm? Other people have said that the heat from the inside will keep the basement warm but I just want to know if that's true. We don't want to invest in a lot of cold weather items because we know this will not be the norm so I'm not looking for suggestions for long term cold weather protection. We're merely looking for something 2 make sure our plumbing is safe in the cold and doesn't hurt anything in our coach by staying here for the next week or two in this cold weather. Thanks for any and all advice.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2017, 11:39 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Cold weather camp

I can't address your Fleetwood but.....This fall we spent 5 nights with temps down to 17 and days a cold 40 with MH in shade most of the day. We didn't freeze up. Going 2 weeks could be different. My water heater and fresh water pump are in same compartment so I left the water heater on all night. Black and gray drains and some fresh water plumbing on left side in a shared compartment. That I was worried about but it didn't freeze either. I understand the forced air gas furnace blows around holding tanks but haven't found that vent yet. I brought along a wireless remote thermometer to keep an eye on compartment temps.
Bring along a hair dryer. I have thawed out slightly frozen unbroken pipes with this. Also leave cabinet doors open.
I brought a small Mr Buddy Heater to put in a basement compartment if needed, just planned on leaving the pilot flame going. One candle power will keep freeze away.
Unfortunately this is something you don't know about until you try and then the damage may be done.
Safe travels
Old 12-10-2017, 06:37 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Been doing this for a long time. 22 last night. I just put a 60 watt bulb in a shop light thingie and put it in the wet bay (where the hose comes in). That plus what ever heat comes from the furnace does the trick. We run of the water tank when freezing.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:34 PM   #4

Well OP, how did you fair last night??
Old 12-10-2017, 05:03 PM   #5

also curious, we have boundet 2014 35K, can we run both elec and gas for water heater at same time? curr only using elec and that takes a bit to warm water for showers.
stormy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:06 PM   #6

Worried about the cold weather

Stormy. You can run both at the same time. Gas for quick recovery and electric to hold temp
Old 12-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #7

Regarding cold weather ops, I suggest if you are connected to park water, you open the bathroom cold water facet just a medium low steady stream of water. I have seen folks use those electrically heated fresh water hoses and yes the water will not freeze up in the hose BUT the hose bib will if no water is running. Worked well in Tombstone AZ alt 4550 19 above zero.

Also in my case, running rear gas furnace at 55 degrees F, will keep the plumbing warm. Run the furnace awhile and feel around the water discharge pipe inside the plumbing compartment, should be warm. If not investigate.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:25 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1rider View Post
Well OP, how did you fair last night??
So far so good. It will be in the 20s over night this whole week so I ordered a little heater for the basement just to be safe.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:14 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Leaving the water running a bit works well in the house, but can be a problem in an RV. To do this in an RV, you have to leave the gray tank open so it doesn’t fill if you plan to do this for anytime at all. This means you are draining the water through the sewer hose exposed to the freezing temps.

Depending on how cold it is, the water could freeze in the sewer hose creating an ice damn that causes the water to back up into and fill the gray tank which could overflow into the trailer. Even if the gray tank doesn’t fill, you could end up with a frozen sewer hose that would prevent you from draining tanks until it thawed.

I just wanted to make you aware of a potential problem if you leave the water running. My choice would be to not do that. Using a heated water hose (and covering the water bib) or using from the fresh water tank would be my preferred option. If using from the fresh water tank, be sure to disconnect the water hose and drain it after filling so it will be usable when needed the next time.

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmaster View Post
Leaving the water running a bit works well in the house, but can be a problem in an RV. To do this in an RV, you have to leave the gray tank open so it doesn’t fill if you plan to do this for anytime at all. This means you are draining the water through the sewer hose exposed to the freezing temps.

Depending on how cold it is, the water could freeze in the sewer hose creating an ice damn that causes the water to back up into and fill the gray tank which could overflow into the trailer. Even if the gray tank doesn’t fill, you could end up with a frozen sewer hose that would prevent you from draining tanks until it thawed.

I just wanted to make you aware of a potential problem if you leave the water running. My choice would be to not do that. Using a heated water hose (and covering the water bib) or using from the fresh water tank would be my preferred option. If using from the fresh water tank, be sure to disconnect the water hose and drain it after filling so it will be usable when needed the next time.

Dave
We have left the kitchen faucet slow dripping overnight with the grey tank closed and not nearly filled the tank. I agree that I would not leave the tank open and the sewer hose connected and water running or dripping. Slow dripping seems to do the job, at least down to 18 degrees outside.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:12 PM   #11

[emoji108]
Old 05-23-2018, 09:02 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
Hey all we have a 2013 Fleetwood Expedition and this is the first time in over a year that we have spent extended days in cold weather. We are from Florida and started fulltiming earlier this year. We're now in Tennessee for the next couple weeks and the overnight temperatures will be in the low to mid twenties. We have gotten a lot of advice but none from any Fleetwood owners so I thought I would post on here. My question is what do you think we need to do with the tanks? We know to keep our fresh water tank full and we're doing that. However even that is a concern if we do laundry or something that gets our tank down to a third of a tank or so. Will that be an issue? Also what about the gray tank? Do we leave it open or should we keep it closed and drain it when it's warm? Other people have said that the heat from the inside will keep the basement warm but I just want to know if that's true. We don't want to invest in a lot of cold weather items because we know this will not be the norm so I'm not looking for suggestions for long term cold weather protection. We're merely looking for something 2 make sure our plumbing is safe in the cold and doesn't hurt anything in our coach by staying here for the next week or two in this cold weather. Thanks for any and all advice.
Doesn't your Fleetwood have a heated basement? Our 2005 Expedition basement is heated. The owner's manual just says to keep the thermostats at a temperature to assure the basement stays above freezing. An indoor/outdoor wireless thermometer with 2-3 remote sensor can keep an "eye" on the temps below. Just a thought.
lightsluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:19 AM   #13

Which RV have heated basements?

I have read that the Fleetwood expedition has a heated basement. Do you know if the other fleetwoods do too or just the expedition?

OR do you know other brands that have it? I want to do snow trips so this seems key to have.

thanks!
Stefan
sgrafstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsluvr View Post
Doesn't your Fleetwood have a heated basement? Our 2005 Expedition basement is heated. The owner's manual just says to keep the thermostats at a temperature to assure the basement stays above freezing. An indoor/outdoor wireless thermometer with 2-3 remote sensor can keep an "eye" on the temps below. Just a thought.

I have read that the Fleetwood expedition has a heated basement. Do you know if the other fleetwoods do too or just the expedition?

OR do you know other brands that have it? I want to do snow trips so this seems key to have.

thanks!
Stefan
sgrafstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather