Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2016, 07:16 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yet another Stabilizer Post

Hey there all,

I have read dozens of the stabilizer posts and I haven't found one yet that is similar to mine. Maybe I've missed one, and in that case, I'm sorry to rehash, but here goes...LOL

I have a 1999 Southwind. I have PowerGear levels with spring returns. My rear legs are operating fine. The fronts used to operate fine and then one day they didn't.

When I press the button on the control panel, I hear the typical sound of the pump trying to extend the legs, but the sound is different, a higher pitch if you will, but the legs don't move. The DS leg is slightly extended, maybe an inch or so of the chrome leg exposed. The CS leg is fully retracted. I would imagine a stuck dump valve wouldn't let the DS leg retract all the way, but then, why would neither of them extend? Again, I hear the pump, but it sounds different.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Juan
MrTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2016, 11:58 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well, I got to work on the coach a bit today. Working on the stabilizers, I read all the troubleshooting and checked everything listed. All fuses good at the control box. 12 volts at the red wire for the front valve. No continuity though. I assume that means I'm changing that top valve....booooo
Old 06-06-2016, 08:55 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTrouble View Post
Well, I got to work on the coach a bit today. Working on the stabilizers, I read all the troubleshooting and checked everything listed. All fuses good at the control box. 12 volts at the red wire for the front valve. No continuity though. I assume that means I'm changing that top valve....booooo
If there is no continuity through the valve coil, you only need to change the coil, not the entire valve. Make sure it's not just a connector problem. good luck
Old 06-08-2016, 08:38 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bounder View Post
If there is no continuity through the valve coil, you only need to change the coil, not the entire valve. Make sure it's not just a connector problem. good luck
Outstanding! Is there a way to test out the connector only? I can't imagine that connecting one of the other lines (rear) to hit and hitting the rear switch would do anything. I have to get up a little farther in the space to see the valve more clearly...
Old 06-08-2016, 10:39 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bounder View Post
According to this picture from the Power Gear site, my problem is with #5, one of the leg valve assembly kits. In my particular case, it would be the top one for the front legs. I have no continuity on the solenoid side, but I have 12 volts on the purple wire on the switch side. That leads me to believe the valve solenoid it bad. What part are you saying to replace?

Thanks,

Juan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Gear stabilizer.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	129567  
Old 06-08-2016, 10:46 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
MrT
When I bought my '96 Southwind the jacks failed the PDI (which I was truly thrilled about, that's FAR better than them failing the following week!). I rolled around under the rig while the tech was trouble shooting. I noticed he kept swapping pieces AND THE LINES, from working jacks to the non-working jacks to determine where the fault was. In my case it turned out to be the control board which they had to replace - doubtful it's the same on yours since the pump is running.
But you might take their method of moving things around to help narrow down what the issue is.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
MrT
When I bought my '96 Southwind the jacks failed the PDI (which I was truly thrilled about, that's FAR better than them failing the following week!). I rolled around under the rig while the tech was trouble shooting. I noticed he kept swapping pieces AND THE LINES, from working jacks to the non-working jacks to determine where the fault was. In my case it turned out to be the control board which they had to replace - doubtful it's the same on yours since the pump is running.
But you might take their method of moving things around to help narrow down what the issue is.
Podivin,

I thought about that as well. If the solenoid is bad, hooking up another switch to it will yield the same result. I am assuming the switch is working, so plugging the switch to another leg should make it work, but I'm already assuming that. The next logical step would be to switch valves, but if I do that, I might as well switch it out because I will have done all the labor required to replace it.

Again, given the fact that fuses and power are where they seem to be, the lack of continuity in the valve coil itself leads me to believe it to be the culprit.

Thanks for you input, I appreciate it.

Juan