Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Foretravel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2017, 03:49 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2007 Foretravel Nimbus

Looking to upgrade from a Newmar gasser. Nimbus 342 Stonebrisr with 30,000 miles. One owner. 12.5JW diesel generator , raise able tag axle, 2000 watt inverter. Please give some pros and cons if you have some please. Thanks
bevo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2017, 03:25 PM   #2

Should be a fine coach, if taken care of maintenance wise. As I recall, it had the ISM500, which is a well thought of engine for the bigger RV's. (ISX, depending upon year, is a bigger block, and thus quite a bit more weight, which eats into the extra HP the ISX can bring to the table. (I'm referring to the Big ISX, not the smaller ISX brought into replace the ISM line.). (And don't go to bank with my comment that it is the ISM, but pretty sure that era Nimbus had that engine in it...). And this will have the Allison 4000 series with Retarder, and coupled with enough engine displacement of the ISM - you should ease your way down the mountain grades in non drama manner...

Typical Foretravel good build quality, and superior quality materials.

On a personal note, my wife and I usually find we're not fans of the Fore travel galleys. They can be small for larger coaches, and we prefer 3 burner vs 2 burner stove tops (Foretravel's we looked at, frequently had 2 burner.) And finally on galley, we noted a few of the newer models we were looking at, had the sink up next to a side wall. My DW and I both were thinking we'd probably have elbow interference and possibly problems rinsing like frying pans in the sink side next to that wall... (And this is a nit pick for sure, on a fine coach and fine built and appointed galley. And many people prefer larger living spaces, and smaller galley's - so it's all about preferences of who is buying!).

Also from memory, I believe that era coach still had non IFS. Not a deal breaker when it comes to cruising down the highway, but less capability while maneuvering in tight quarters.

It's bee over 6-7 years since I researched these, so my memory could be off.

To be clear, I respect Foretravel and consider them one of the two two or three higher end RV's on the road... hard to go wrong with a Foretravel!

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
And this will have the Allison 4000 series with Retarder
Retarder was an option in 2007.

Heat was Oasis rather than AquaHot.

A number of delamination and other fiberglass issues reported for 2007-2009, especially 2007-2008. Some folks have reported up to $30K in repair costs.

Have also read that the dash air was unique in 2007 and no parts available if it fails.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 02:40 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Smitty and spuds
bevo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo7 View Post
Thanks Smitty and spuds
Thanks Spud - Much more up on the newer model FT's then I am! Good info, and cautions about 07 models to check into...

Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:43 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have a 2012 Nimbus, the two burner stove is fine. In fact I carry a single burner induction that is portable as I hate using the electric stove top as it takes a bit to cool off and we live in Texas and travel lots of the time in the south, so adding extra heat is not what I enjoy doing on a 105 degree day.. I haven't found the sink position to be a problem either. The one thing we did was remove the heavy counter top matching sink covers and using them as a pattern, cut covers out of an appropriate thickness commercial cutting board. I use one side to prep with and the other as my "nice" surface. If they get to messed up, I can just make new ones for about $20.
Have the coach checked for delamination problems carefully.
FT'S are well built and you really can't go wrong with one.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:17 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
And "IF" there is delamination, talk to Extreme in Nacogdoces to get a rough idea of cost then deduct from selling price.
Good idea on the sink covers..
As for the sink covers. I have just put them under the couch, I use the sink for the crock pot when traveling.

As for the 2 burner stove, I replaced it with a 3 burner with gas oven. (lost 2 drawers but now have "Real Biscuits" for breakfast.
The latest improvement we put in a Samsung residential fridge.. ice cream is frozen and the eggs are not.

We had a '99 Thor/Four Winds Infinity 36' before buying the Foretravel...The differences and features still amaze me..(And makes the Wife happy!)
Happy trails
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel