Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Foretravel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2019, 05:41 AM   #1

Finally Sold The Realm

Just an FYI for anyone considering buying a Foretravel Realm. I finally sold mine after 11 months on the market. Took a massive hit on the depreciation
(which I expected) but wow. If you are considering buying a Realm I strongly suggest looking at used. You'll save a ton of $$$. Most Realms on the market have low miles. Hope this info helps someone that may be on the fence.
bmilam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2019, 08:07 AM   #2

Why did you sell it? What are if any, will you replace it with? I have thought about the Foretravel as an upgrade for consideration.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
Why did you sell it? What are if any, will you replace it with? I have thought about the Foretravel as an upgrade for consideration.
We have been RVing for 5 years and my 12 year old wasn't really into it any longer. We are probably going to buy a lake house. We certainly enjoyed it and the Foretravel Realm is extremely well made and the quality is top notch. They have a great support system and are always willing to help. I highly recommend doing a factory tour at their facility. If you have any questions about the Realm I'll be glad to answer. Good Luck
Old 12-06-2019, 05:38 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmilam View Post
Just an FYI for anyone considering buying a Foretravel Realm. I finally sold mine after 11 months on the market. Took a massive hit on the depreciation
(which I expected) but wow. If you are considering buying a Realm I strongly suggest looking at used. You'll save a ton of $$$. Most Realms on the market have low miles. Hope this info helps someone that may be on the fence.

Are you absolutely sure that your percentages were higher than normal?
I typically expect purchase to be 25-30% off MSRP. Very possibly doesn't come into play with the Foretravels though. 10% depreciation the first couple years and then settling into about 5-6% per year.
So per 100k we all lose about 5-6k per year if we keep the MH long enough.

disclaimer; I doubt I'll ever even be in a Realm unfortunately
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:58 PM   #5

A friend of mine bought a 2019 Entregra Cornerstone. MHSRV is selling new ones $100,000.00 + less then what he paid for his a year ago. So he has lost 22% compared to a brand new one. So his hit in the first year is going to be way over 22%
Old 12-07-2019, 06:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Are you absolutely sure that your percentages were higher than normal?
I typically expect purchase to be 25-30% off MSRP. Very possibly doesn't come into play with the Foretravels though. 10% depreciation the first couple years and then settling into about 5-6% per year.
So per 100k we all lose about 5-6k per year if we keep the MH long enough.

disclaimer; I doubt I'll ever even be in a Realm unfortunately
okcnewbie my loss on depreciation is in the 40-45% range. It's a tough pill to swallow but I expected that on a high dollar coach. Thats why I believe looking for used seems to be a bargain.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:40 AM   #7

What year and floorpan was it and if you don't mind, what was the final number?

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #8

Not a realm but when we sold our Essex the true cost / depreciation was 10% per year not this lower 5/6 % some see. The lower % may be true for lower cost rigs I don’t know but we truly lost 10% per year of ownership. This does not include ant maintenance cost that were incurred.

Buy used and low ball is my advice also. Sooner or later you will find someone who is tired of waiting for a sale. By the way it took over a year for our rig to sell also.

Enjoy your new family setting. Everything is just a phase in life.

Enjoy the journey
Old 12-07-2019, 07:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmilam View Post
okcnewbie my loss on depreciation is in the 40-45% range. It's a tough pill to swallow
IH's are also in this situation. Very high initial price and very quick depreciation. Have seen them at a greater % down from original than you saw on the Realm.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
What year and floorpan was it and if you don't mind, what was the final number?
2018 Realm Bunk Model, 2 Full Baths, 11,000 miles, Final number $450K.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperbob11 View Post
Not a realm but when we sold our Essex the true cost / depreciation was 10% per year not this lower 5/6 % some see. The lower % may be true for lower cost rigs I don’t know but we truly lost 10% per year of ownership. This does not include ant maintenance cost that were incurred.

Buy used and low ball is my advice also. Sooner or later you will find someone who is tired of waiting for a sale. By the way it took over a year for our rig to sell also.

Enjoy your new family setting. Everything is just a phase in life.

Enjoy the journey
Thank you Bob will do. You are so right buy used and low ball. Then hit the road and enjoy it.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:40 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Depreciation can be managed by buying used and keeping for a long time even on high end motorhome. I purchased a 4 yr old Country Coach Intrigue in 2001, kept it 16 years, traveled the entire US and sold it quickly. My depreciation was only $4500 annually over those 16 years. Very affordable, and a very nice high end motorhome. Of course one has to be perfectly happy with the style and features of the unit, and be in a position to keep it for many years. I was fortunate.
Jag73e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #13

Another factor is the timing of the buy. We pulled up buying our retirement coach by about 2 years, when everyone had who had over extended in the 125% LTV days had to get out from under the flashy RV's/Planes/Boats. Ours was not a top of the line coach, but the Allure met our needs at that time, call it a B- coach in the pecking order... While I did not pay a 'rock bottom price' for it, for that timeframe - I did pay a good price for it... And we actually had a few years of appreciation and then holding it's own value wise, after the economy started rolling again and Baby Boomers, and others, were out shopping for higher end coaches.

So the 'cycle' of the economy, and RV price points, can have an overall positive effect to the total depreciation cycle.. And note, yep, our coach was 6 years old when bought it. (Under 13K miles, but records showed year driving and yearly service, so while low miles, the coach did get exercised throughout the year. Not rally an RV'er, as much as a Tailgater... Bought at Holland Motor Homes in San Diego, and used it for all of the Home and a few Away games, for Fresno State Football... One trip with his family to Grand Canyon, was the only time the used it as an RV for camping! Not a common usage.)

The Realm is one of my favorite looking above mere mortal coaches! Sorry the time came for you and your family to move on from it, and suspect the new owner will happily enjoy it...

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:44 AM   #14

I am interested in where you sold it. Did you retail it or wholesaled. Either someone made a great deal or some dealer will make a great profit.