RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Foretravel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:17 PM   #29

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojack View Post
Cooterbrown,

I may be biased since I am on my 4th Foretravel. I have had a motor home for the last 46 years. I have been to the Newman Factory and the Foretravel Factory. I have been all around the different RV almost my whole life. As Valentob stated above there are many differences in quality. As he has stated about the slides, the only other coaches that have the same type of slides as Foretravel are Prevost and Newells, both million + $ coaches.

There are a lot of other quality items that are not noticeable right off. Once you are in a Foretravel for some time and then go in other coaches you can notice the difference in quality. The other day I was looking at the hinge for the bathroom door. It was a piano hinge that went from the top to the bottom with screws in all of the holes. I do not remember what Newmar uses but I was in a friends late model SOB coach awhile back and his hinges are like in a home.
I concur....Function and quality surpasses bling that is used to hide the deficiencies and substandard (as compaired to Foretravel/Newell/Prevost conversions) Quality components and Quality Controls of build......

saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2019, 11:44 AM   #30

I have no horse in this race! But I did, and still do, follow Foretravel closely, as well as Newmar - as I had the FT U295 and U320, and the Newmar Dutch Star and Mountain Aire on our short list while shopping (Amongst others too!.

No question the IC-37 is a better quality, and component'ed RV vs the New Aire. I prefer the K2 over the FL, the 150 vs 90 Gallon fuel tank, larger holding tanks, and who could not like the attention to detail on the slide corners, and the air bladder seals are much better for keeping out the elements then contact slide seals. But, the New Aire was purposely built to meet a specific price range, and it is a nice package with lots of good features. IMO, more appropriate for RV Park to RV Park with usage, with occasional boon docking capabilities. The 35' floor plan, and possibly a 37-38' floor plan option in the future (Though some scuttlebutt of either Dutch Star or Mountain Aire or both, having smaller Non Tag coaches in that range. (As accurate as the internet makes all things - wait and see!!)).

IMO, both the New Aire and IC-37 have a readily, almost pent up demand, group of potential buyers. Again internet lore, but three main groups: 1) Those coming off the road from Full Timing, and looking for a little smaller rig to use in shorter trip length mode; 2) A group of the higher end Class B's (Both Mercedes based, but also think about the Old Born Free type crowd too, that are shifting to Full Timing, or more extended traveling lengths, and want more room; 3) The ongoing group of Baby Boomer's entering RV'ing for the first time. I know from both people I grew up with, those I worked with, and those who contact me offline from various RV boards - that some feel 40-45' is just too big! (I don't agree, but they have that perception.). Many feel the sub 40' length RV's are friendly to the environment, which means a lot to a certain group of buyers.

One more observation, is that I believe Newmar heard and listened to their core customers, who felt that Newmar had slowly slid down the slope of higher quality building techniques. Not exact, but I got the impression that say 2011-2015/6 - that Newmar's attention to detail during the build process slipped some. They had new staff, and newer designs with start up problems, and some of the components chosen were less then upper or top quality choices. They were trying to meet a certain price point, and labor and parts costs are part of that formula. I believe Newmar has done a good job on doubling down on improving quality 'during' the build process, vs 'inspecting' it in after the fact... Perfect? Nope, but getting back to the say late 90's up thru say 2004 era where they put out a good built coach, with better material and component choices - even in their lower level DP's. (All of that is IMHO, and based upon reading various forums, and talking to Newmar coach owners...).

So I feel that Foretravel and Newmar, at two different price points these coaches come in at, will both have solid enough demand to have warranted the R&D costs to bring these two models into their line up.

Opinions will vary, and best to all,
Smitty

Old 06-08-2019, 01:45 PM   #31

Was interrupted in my 'brief' previous post(?) by a phone call. Was taking a walk after I posted, and thought about 'Did I say Dutch Star?' - when talking about the rumor mills of Newmar bringing more of the Luxury Line down into the sub 40' range. I meant to say Mountain Aire and London Aire... As Newmar does have the Dutch Star 37XX series too. Brain fart when I started back up!

And I also meant to point out that when you visit the Newmar website, they have the New Aire in their Diesel Pusher lineup of models, not in their Luxury models line up.

Just more 'Hmmmm' info!
Best to all,
Smitty

Tags
travel