Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Foretravel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2015, 07:12 AM   #1

Kool-Matic ceiling fan.

A customer of our has a 2000 Foretravel with a Kool-Matic ceiling fan in the kitchen. When you switch the thermostat on (either high or low), the relay inside the thermostat "chatters" and no power goes up to the motor. There is adequate DC voltage and ground at the thermostat. A tech rep at Foretravel walked me through some other diagnostics and between us we determined the thermostat is faulty. Naturally, Kool-Matic isn't in business any longer so it may be hard to find one.

Have any of you experienced this and maybe upgraded to a Fantastic, MaxxFan, Ventline, etc?
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2015, 07:18 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ray,

To my knowledge there isn't a replacement that would equal the CFM that the Kool-O-Matic puts out.

What I would do in that situation is to replace the defective thermostat with a simple analog or digital one that is readily available at any of the home repair centers.

The speed control is up on the fan motor so the thermostat is simply an ON/Off Switch.

Not rocket science.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Ray,

What I would do in that situation is to replace the defective thermostat with a simple analog or digital one that is readily available at any of the home repair centers.

The speed control is up on the fan motor so the thermostat is simply an ON/Off Switch.

Not rocket science.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Inside the t-stat there are 4 wires. They are labeled 12v+, hi, lo, gnd. If you can suggest a suitable replacement, I'll first verify that the ceiling mounted rheostat is good as well as the motor. Then, proceed with the upgrade.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:32 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hello - I have replaced the Kool-a-Matic fan with a Fantastic fan in my 02 Windsor. The opening the roof is a standard 14 in.. Most vent covers will restrict the air flow a bit but the newer cover from Fantastic seems to be the best. Another benefit of the Fantastic fan is that you will get light in (the Kool-a-Matic is steel and made the kitchen dark).

You can still use the thermostat on the wall or eliminate it and use the one on the fan (depending on the fan model you choose).

Also, the mounting flange on the Kool-a-Matic is very large - the new fan did not cover the original mounting screws. I put the screws back in the holes and used a generous dollop if Dicor self leveling.

Alan
02 Windsor 40PKD
str8six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:14 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My Kool-O-Matic thermostat does not have a High/Low setting.

It has a vertical slider switch which in the middle is OFF, up is ON and down is Auto.

There is also a rotary temperature dial for when the Auto setting is chosen.

I can post a photo if needed.

Like I said in my last post there is a rotary switch on the motor which sticks through the ceiling vent that controls the speed, High-Medium-Low.

I would think that you would only need the 12 VDC + and the 12 VDC - wires to make it work correctly.

A Fantastic Fan installation would be my second choice as a previous poster had suggested.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-02-2015, 05:32 AM   #6

Richard, on the one in this coach, the rheostat doesn't stick thru the inner cover. The wall thermostat has a slider switch labeled high/off/low. It also has a temperature dial. Obviously there are a few options here so I'll do a bit more troubleshooting to verify if motor and rheostat are good, then let the customer decide.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ray,

Obviously that one is an older version than mine. My coach was delivered in Sept of 2001.

Frankly I have never used the Auto/Temperature function only the on/off function. It gets used for exhausting odors when cooking and if the coach is mildly warm and I don't want to turn on the rooftop A/C's.

If it were me I would replace the broken thermostat with a switch or two switches that allow for turning the fan on and the high/low function. The high/low would simply be a resistance switch.

I would do away with the temperature function.

Good luck!

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Tags
ceiling, fan