Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Foretravel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2009, 08:37 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
More electrical

#1 This may have been discussed a few hundred times already but I couldn't find the thread..............Does anyone know of a problem replacing the "buzz box" in our '92 U300 (3- 8D batteries) with a PD Intellipower 9260 charger.
#2- When I put the starting battery on charge by closing the boost switch I can hear the electrolyte boiling and see it bubbling from the filler caps. The 2 house batteries seem o.k. I checked the charge voltage and it was only 11.8VDC so that adds to my confusion.
When I remove the starting battery from charge, the voltage goes to 12.4VDC. Maybe trouble with that particular battery or ?
Gary
92hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the house batteries are ok and the starter battery boils when you hit the BOOST switch

you need to have the starting battery tested.. Sounds like a shorted cell

And what the heck is a "Buzz Box"
Old 10-08-2009, 09:02 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Buzz box....................Magnetek 775 charger/converter in our case. It can be heard at the neighbors house. Thanks for your post. I'll get the battery tested.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thought that is what you meant.. but still had to ask.

I do not know the 775 converter well enough to comment but I do know the 6300 line

The 6300 line is well known for killing batteries if left plugged in too long. The recommended solution is to buy a Xantrex or a Progressive Dynamics or another top of the line device.

Best converter has some links on their web page that explain how to upgrade (Frame is headed "Extra Info")

What is the key factor: The 6300 is a single stage converter, it outpus only one voltage, it does not have a "Float" mode or a "Bulk" mode

A 2 stage has bulk/absorption (Same settings for both modes, battery decides which) and a float mode

A 3 stage has Bulk (one high regulated (NOT TOO HIGH) voltage, current regulated mode) one Absorption (Low current, voltage regulated to finish charging) and one float (Lower voltage regulated) ANd usually an equalize mode (Controlled overcharge)
Old 10-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Charger replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Thought that is what you meant.. but still had to ask.

I do not know the 775 converter well enough to comment but I do know the 6300 line

The 6300 line is well known for killing batteries if left plugged in too long. The recommended solution is to buy a Xantrex or a Progressive Dynamics or another top of the line device.

Best converter has some links on their web page that explain how to upgrade (Frame is headed "Extra Info")

What is the key factor: The 6300 is a single stage converter, it outpus only one voltage, it does not have a "Float" mode or a "Bulk" mode

A 2 stage has bulk/absorption (Same settings for both modes, battery decides which) and a float mode

A 3 stage has Bulk (one high regulated (NOT TOO HIGH) voltage, current regulated mode) one Absorption (Low current, voltage regulated to finish charging) and one float (Lower voltage regulated) ANd usually an equalize mode (Controlled overcharge)

I found that the starting battery (8D 1750 cca) was kaput so replaced that. That item was not cheap but it was necessary. I searched for different types of batteries, size, combination, etc but space limitations prevailed. Anyway problem cured.
Charger......I replaced the Magnetek 775 with a Progressive Dynamics PD 9260C multi-stage unit. Turned out to be a very easy swap and now we have a "smart" to lengthen the life of our batteries and...........it's quiet.