RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Foretravel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:14 PM   #1
UAV

New Foretravel

Hey All...

Getting ready to prepare for the next chapter in our lives.

I know Foretravel does a very nice job, no doubt.

We just sold our Leisure Travel Van (nice, but a bit "too" cozy, if you know what I mean).

We have now narrowed its replacement down to a Entegra Anthem 42DEQ (43.5 ft) or the new IC-37 (37 ft). We really like the size of the new IC-37. Sort of a sweet spot when it comes to storing the coach, glamping options, etc. and we are fine with either floorplan. We cannot do a 45' coach. 43.5 is the absolute max (storage issues).

There is quite the price difference between the two but my wife and I would like to hear from any current owners regarding the following: Is the price difference really show in the quality difference? I notice that several manufactures use similar vendors such as Spartan, etc. So I think most of what illustrates the difference between these two would be on the inside finishes of the coach.

But I am open to any input (even if the IC-37 isn't out quite yet). Anything specific would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2018, 06:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am sure some of the Foretravel owners will give you their opinions, as well as Entegra owners if you post on their forum.

IMO as someone who owns a coach that was considered fairly 'high end' in its day, I don't think you can really compare the more mass produced Anthem with the more custom built Foretravel. I would suggest you plan to visit both the Entegra factory in Indiana and the Foretravel factory in Texas. I think that might be helpful. Both companies seem to have great customer service reputations.

Bottom line for me, if I was looking to get a new coach for full timing and had both the desire and financial resources to purchase a Foretravel, it would be no contest. It would be a Foretravel.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:38 PM   #3
UAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I am sure some of the Foretravel owners will give you their opinions, as well as Entegra owners if you post on their forum.

IMO as someone who owns a coach that was considered fairly 'high end' in its day, I don't think you can really compare the more mass produced Anthem with the more custom built Foretravel. I would suggest you plan to visit both the Entegra factory in Indiana and the Foretravel factory in Texas. I think that might be helpful. Both companies seem to have great customer service reputations.

Bottom line for me, if I was looking to get a new coach for full timing and had both the desire and financial resources to purchase a Foretravel, it would be no contest. It would be a Foretravel.
I could not agree more. The plan is to do just that: Visit factories for sure. Just waiting for the first IC-37 to be completed.

And customer service does appear to be about the same.

Can't wait to head down to Nacogdoches...looks like early 2019.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:16 PM   #4

There are some things that Foretravel has done very well in the past. We owned a 2003 for nearly 13 years.

I would definitely wait to see what the IC-37 turns out to be before committing to one, though. As with any new model, there are likely some bugs to work out and FT's low volume (about 25-50 units per year total across all models) could mean a longer learning curve.

One thing to watch with this new, non-tag coach, will be OCCC - FT likes to build with heavier interior materials and their little experimental Sprinter offering is an example of not taking that into account during development.

Also, keep in mind comments regarding pre-2006 Foretravel coaches don't necessarily apply to 2006 and newer. The company was sold to an investment group that year and the newer coaches are build under different ownership/management/mindset/target market.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #5

I am on my 4th Foretravel. I have been eyeballing the Cornerstone for the last 2 years. I have been to both factories. I was at the Entegra factory 2 years ago and it was such a long time ago when I was at the Foretravel factory tour I do not remember much about it. I do know Foretravel's are built to last. If you go to foreforums there are a lot of owners with older coaches that are still going strong.

The Cornerstone is a closer match to the Foretravel then the Anthem
The Entegra makes a great coach, has excellent customer service. Only time will tell if the Entegra will hold up to the Foretravel on depreciation.

I think one of the main things that bothers me about the Entegra is their floor base. I am afraid if there was a water leak and you did not see it or catch it the wood floor would rotted and would be a very major project to fix.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:11 PM   #6
UAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojack View Post
I am on my 4th Foretravel. I have been eyeballing the Cornerstone for the last 2 years. I have been to both factories. I was at the Entegra factory 2 years ago and it was such a long time ago when I was at the Foretravel factory tour I do not remember much about it. I do know Foretravel's are built to last. If you go to foreforums there are a lot of owners with older coaches that are still going strong.

The Cornerstone is a closer match to the Foretravel then the Anthem
The Entegra makes a great coach, has excellent customer service. Only time will tell if the Entegra will hold up to the Foretravel on depreciation.

I think one of the main things that bothers me about the Entegra is their floor base. I am afraid if there was a water leak and you did not see it or catch it the wood floor would rotted and would be a very major project to fix.
Totally understand and agree. Very good point about the floor and have asked that question...still waiting for an answer.

We are looking at the new and smaller IC-37 which will be at the tippy top of our budget so size wise we are all good...but for $150,000 or so more is it really worth it? That is a lot of cabbage and I just want to understand why.

I understand that you get seven coats of clear coat vs. three, little bit nicer appliances, nicer cabinets, etc. but, really, most of the vendors are the same. So that is the reason for my questions.

We are also trying to head over to Nocogdoches to see why...unless anyone wants to opine to me here!
Old 10-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
The basic question should be.."Do you want a massed produced (as fast as a Thor owned company can put it together) RV or do you want a hand built & durable RV"?
Try to find a Foretravel (36'/38' non tag axle)that the owners will give you an "indepth" tour... and do the same with the model and length of your choice Entegra...
And join the Foretravel Owners Forum to do more research..
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:16 PM   #8
UAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
The basic question should be.."Do you want a massed produced (as fast as a Thor owned company can put it together) RV or do you want a hand built & durable RV"?
Try to find a Foretravel (36'/38' non tag axle)that the owners will give you an "indepth" tour... and do the same with the model and length of your choice Entegra...
And join the Foretravel Owners Forum to do more research..
Great question and asked meself many times.

And will do and have done on the rest.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:20 PM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV View Post

Is the price difference really show in the quality difference? I notice that several manufactures use similar vendors such as Spartan, etc.
Thanks!
Just a note on Spartan chassis..
The chassis that Spartan builds for Foretravel is to Foretravel design spec's,
ie:Much more & heavier metal, and far more robust (with Foretravel designed outboard air bags I suspect) than the standard generic frames/chassis that would be under the Entegra line.

Another thing to keep in mind is..
The i-C is to be the "entry level" Foretravel.. so will have one or at most two slides
Unlike the Entegra the i-C will not have an abundance of superfluous BS bling & gadgetry,TV's, bathrooms or slide's.
And I believe that it should be fully livable/usable with all slides retracted..All components/cabinetry/components will be the standard (for Foretravel's) qualities...ie: residential top drawer faucets/showers/appliances. You are paying a premium for a hand made quality assembled coach and have the right to demand said qualities..
And Yes..we Foretravel Owners have paid a premium price for the quality and useful longevity we desire..
(our coach will have it's 17th birthday soon)
Old 10-17-2018, 09:13 PM   #10
UAV

Here are the attachments I received today.

And the attached PDF floorplan is currently in production.

This is the very first one to be built. I believe there will be three more floorplans coming out...soon...when, I do not know for sure, nor does FT. But soon.

Most excited to see how she turns out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf b-5166_ic-37_fp1.pdf (391.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: pdf ic-37 Specifications9.24.18.pdf (113.4 KB, 66 views)
Old 10-18-2018, 02:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Just a note on Spartan chassis..
The chassis that Spartan builds for Foretravel is to Foretravel design spec's,
ie:Much more & heavier metal, and far more robust (with Foretravel designed outboard air bags I suspect) than the standard generic frames/chassis that would be under the Entegra line.
Do you have a link to the spec's for the chassis? Looking at the IC-37 document UAV posted, it only mentions a K2-450, which is a standard Spartan offering (used for Entegra's Aspire, albeit shorter by a few feet).

The chassis used for the IH-45 is a unique one, but it's not the same chassis being used for the IC-37.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:07 AM   #12

WOW, this thing weighs double what our coach weighs, is one foot longer, one foot taller (our height over our storage pod) and one foot wider than our 1989 GV.
Amazing what technology can do today!
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:12 AM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
Do you have a link to the spec's for the chassis? Looking at the IC-37 document UAV posted, it only mentions a K2-450, which is a standard Spartan offering (used for Entegra's Aspire, albeit shorter by a few feet).

The chassis used for the IH-45 is a unique one, but it's not the same chassis being used for the IC-37.
Someone on IRV2 posted that they compared the i-C chassis to a standard K2 at the Spartan plant and stated that it was quite a bit more robust.. I doubt that Spartan would advertise the differences as the F/T chassis are a "priority/protected" design not made available to the other coach builders...
Old 10-18-2018, 09:54 PM   #14

I find myself with the not so common ability to actually compare the entegra as well as the foretravel, having owned two entegra coaches an aspire and then the cornerstone. While the cornerstone was a vast improvement from the aspire in ride quality the foretravel is just that must better than the cornerstone. I understand that many items like water pumps air conditioners are supplied by the same manufacturer, simply said I have had no failures with the foretravel and it seemed as though all the components were failing on the entegra. I have had absolutely zero regrets about my purchase. Many thing are different from the moment you step in, entegra makes a good coach and in my opinion one of the nicest looking on the market. The foretravel makes one of the most solid feeling and easiest to work on, every wire is laser etched in the event you need to work on it. You will receive full wiring diagrams. Stop and look at all the details from draining air tanks and easily getting to all the components, itís all the little thing that we can overlook that make the difference.

Ahall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel