Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Foretravel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:14 AM   #1

(Newbie) Questions/Instructions for new build

I have decided a Foretravel (Realm) new build. (New build because customized the floor plan). (BTW ALL your assistance, comments, instructions are appreciated). #1. If you had the chance (to start from new build) what the questions, instructions you would direct. #2. I am currently "negotiating" the cargo area storage...need more (BTW, I have read ALL the threads under Foretravel, including the storage discussions).....any suggestions for manipulating more cargo storage? #3. I need to tow a vehicle (mid-size SUV preferably) that I can stay "at" weight towing limit, that will include 500-700 lbs. of cargo (inside the SUV). (It is a work/relax thing). Any suggestions as to which SUV? Delivery for FT Realm is set for March 2018. I have some time. Many, Many Thanks for your help. P.S. Yes! A NEWBIE! Never been behind the wheel of one. Don't know gray water from.....whatever water! And Yes, very pricey RV.....But will use it 12 months/year. Will campground mostly with full hookups, will also boondock sometime from 5-12 days stretch. 600 HP Diesel Pusher, Spartan K3GT Chassis. Thank you for answers to #1,#2, #3 and any additional information.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2017, 06:25 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQ57 View Post
I have decided a Foretravel (Realm) new build. #2. I am currently "negotiating" the cargo area storage...need more
OK, I'll bite.

What are you giving up to get more storage?

Batteries? (it's an all-electric coach; you'll need those batteries if you're not able to run the generator and especially if you have significant solar)

Holding tank size? (smaller means more frequent dumping)

Slideouts (the HWH controls and aux compressor have to go somewhere)

Heating/hot water changes? (AquaHot needs to go somewhere)

Fuel tank size? (can't go as far between fillups)

Since you mention being a newbie to RVing, I would strongly caution against making any radical changes to what is already an extremely low-volume brand and model.

First, you don't know what your travel style will end up being so you don't have enough data to make truly informed choices.

Second, if you deviate too far from "normal", whether in systems, floorplan, or decor, and you find RVing is not for you, you're going to have a much more difficult time with resale.

Michelle

spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:03 PM   #3

Thank you Michelle for biting. You are very kind and your opinions are appreciated and helpful. Certainly NOT going to give up any fundamental (necessary) functions of this ship to achieve more storage. I am not light-headed. Without any suggestions for the last 4 days on this thread, I have gained an additional 5 sq. ft. in cargo and have NOT made any manufacturer systems changes. None at all. My floorplan changes are not dramatic nor repulsive. They are custom to my needs of year round rving. Also, my final question has been answered as to tow vehicle. I have been in touch with trailer manufacturers (such as tande-race) and have answered my own question. Finally, barring what God has in store for me, I plan to RV until I cannot stay on the road any longer. My dad and mom RV'd 7 out of 12 months each year for 20 years. Now my brother has their rig. I could never join them (and learn the mechanics) because I was traveling (out of the country) for 15 years (Cruise Director Silver Seas Line). Travel is in our blood. I have two Boot Camps (for driving and operation) scheduled; one from my brother, 2 months (Sept. & Oct.) and a Boot Camp in Louisiana in January. To buy this ship I have sold my home also my "retirement" river property. When dad passed he left me a note "Be in Love with places you've never been and people you've never met". I'M HITTIN' THE ROAD BABY IN THAT FABULOUS RIDE COME 2018!!!
Old 06-26-2017, 03:44 PM   #4

Having recently taken delivery of a new foretravel I can appreciate your concern for storage, all my prior coaches of the same length seemed to have more storage. While I did walk through a realm I did not spend any time checking cargo space. Many of the systems on my coach are larger and those that are not are arranged for the people that work on them. What I am trying to say is that foretravel spreads components out and I can certainly appreciate the extra room for me to be able to easily work on them. Now in another world that doesn't exist,if all the vendors made better subsystems I could slide it all into one or two bays giving all of us a spacious amount area for storage. I should say that I am really happy with the coach.I should have added slide out trays ( electric if they make them) for every cargo bay and factory shelving so as not to waste area. If you have time look at the entegra and newmar sites under mods and will see some ideas to maximize your storage and some really easy shelves that hang down from the chassis rail.
In regards to what else to consider I think the realm comes with just about everything you could want except air horns and under slide lighting. I am not a horn honker but if I do I want you to hear me. I have 8 air horns in the gen compartment , also while talking to for travel ask them about the lights I used under the slides, they are great. If you have any other questions you are welcome to reach out at ahall@roncarter.com
You won't find a lot of realm or IH owner on this or any other forms, is it because they don't break or because they don't know about the forums.
Ahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:32 AM   #5

Realm

Hey SPQ57 I just purchased a 2018 Realm and read your post. I have been completely satisfied with my Realm. As far as storage is concerned we just got back from 6 weeks on the road and didn't have any real issues for storage. I see some other comments made regarding lighting. The Realm does have lighting under the coach. It changes colors and does all sorts of things. It also has an outside frig/freezer in one of the storage areas. If you don't think you'll need it you could eliminate it and have more storage area. The frig inside has a nice freezer area it all depends in your needs. One thing you may have them double and triple check is to make sure the rear drive axle seal and nuts are good. I had my gasket give out on me I had to have it replaced with only 2500 miles. I spoke to another Realm owner he had same problem. I believe you will take delivery at MHSRV in Alvarado, Texas or maybe at Foretravel. Strongly suggest staying at either place for at least 2-3 days. Take 1 day and unhook everything and drive about 30 miles down the road come back and hook up again. It comes with an IPAD to control lights,shades and awnings it works great. Use it when you take delivery to make sure all functions are programmed correctly. Its got plenty of Bells and whistles but I like that part. I will be at Foretravel in about 1 week to have them fix a few little things that need attention. Should you have any questions please feel free to ask. What color are you going with?
Old 07-18-2017, 10:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmilam View Post
One thing you may have them double and triple check is to make sure the rear drive axle seal and nuts are good. I had my gasket give out on me I had to have it replaced with only 2500 miles. I spoke to another Realm owner he had same problem.
My coach has the same chassis as the Realm (K3GT) and I went through 2 sets of drive axle seals as well. Very frustrating to coat the rear of my coach & toad with axle fluid on the second failure which was more severe! At any rate, while at Spartan a couple months ago the techs decided to use a different gasket. The one from the original manufacturer was a paper like material and clearly couldn't hold up. We found a matching gasket made from a proper heavy material and it's been holding up fine so far....
Old 07-19-2017, 05:39 AM   #7

I'm going to be at Foretravel next week and will suggest they change the seal to a better one. Thanks for sharing that info. you may have saved me from the hassle of the other one going out. Thanks again

Tags