Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Foretravel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2016, 01:43 PM   #1

What is the heirarchy in Foretravel?

Looking at coaches and I see Nimbus, Phenix, IH45 as well as many that I know are much older and out of production.

Are the Nimbus and Phenix still made or is it strictly the IH45 now?

If so what order wold you put them in?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 03:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyOutlaw View Post
Looking at coaches and I see Nimbus, Phenix, IH45 as well as many that I know are much older and out of production.

Are the Nimbus and Phenix still made or is it strictly the IH45 now?

If so what order wold you put them in?
Bottom to top

Realm
Nimbus
Phenix
IH-45

As of a couple of years ago, once the IH-45 was unveiled Nimbus and Phenix were only built as a custom order. The company appears to want to focus on the IH-45 and IHs are the only spec coaches they build. You would have to ask the sales department if they will even build other than an IH-45.

Realm is built under contract with MHSRV in Alvaredo, TX. They are the ones who design/spec the coach and sell it and Foretravel builds it for them.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #3

Gotcha.

I did send an information request to Foretravel an waiting for a reply. I thought I saw on their website you cold get the Realm direct from Foretravel, might be my mistake tho.

Besides, my wallet says used market for me. Appreciate the info.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #4

Quote:
I thought I saw on their website you cold get the Realm direct from Foretravel,
IIRC you order from, pay, and take delivery from MHSRV, but you can work with Foretravel on some things while the coach is being built. There's a member here who bought a Realm and I believe that's the process he followed.

FYI since 2005 or so it's been roughly 20-25 coaches built per year, and starting in 2015 maybe 5-10 Realm on top of that. Last I heard (this past spring) there were roughly 10 Realm total on the road.

Michelle
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
IIRC you order from, pay, and take delivery from MHSRV, but you can work with Foretravel on some things while the coach is being built. There's a member here who bought a Realm and I believe that's the process he followed.

FYI since 2005 or so it's been roughly 20-25 coaches built per year, and starting in 2015 maybe 5-10 Realm on top of that. Last I heard (this past spring) there were roughly 10 Realm total on the road.

Michelle
When I bought my Realm, I contacted Foretravel directly and worked entirely with their salesman, Tyle Fore, throughout the process. Before deciding, I toured the factory in Nacogdoches and looked at a completed Realm they had on the lot. I placed the order with Foretravel, but the only difference is I sent the down payment to MHS, and I took delivery of the coach at MHS (which they did an excellent job on).

I thought the whole buying process was excellent. Also, I've dealt with Foretravel directly 100% of the time with followup and service issues, and they have been equally excellent after the sale. I have a really high opinion of Foretravel.
RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:38 PM   #6

Thanks for the information.

Reading nothing but good stuff about Foretravel in general. Still a ways from purchase and if we go this route it will have to be a used model.

RedRaider93, if you don't mind sharing, what sort of issues, if any, have you had with the Realm?
Old 07-26-2016, 04:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for the information.

Reading nothing but good stuff about Foretravel in general. Still a ways from purchase and if we go this route it will have to be a used model.

RedRaider93, if you don't mind sharing, what sort of issues, if any, have you had with the Realm?
I don't mind sharing. To be honest, it hasn't been completely trouble-free, but I suppose you're bound to have some issues with any new coach.

The majority of my issues have been related to the chassis (which is made by Spartan, not FT). Before I even got it home from taking delivery, I noticed the cruise control would disengage randomly and the "check engine" light would come on from time to time. I took it to the Spartan repair place, and they said it was a problem with some sort of control module. It's worked fine since.

The biggest problem I've had is that TWICE (yes, that is frustrating) I've had a fluid leak in the drive axle. The most recent one was just repaired last week. Of all the RV-related problems I've had over the years, this was my least favorite. I was on a trip when I discovered the leak, so I had to make it back to Houston by buying LOTS of gear oil and re-filling it myself every time I stopped. The axle holds 33 pints of oil, and by the time I got home, it spilled practically all of that oil onto the street in front of my house. Not a fun mess to clean up.

Anyway, for the house part of the coach, which Foretravel is responsible for, there have been far fewer problems. It's actually in Nacogdoches right now having a minor roof leak repaired. Other than that, it's pretty small stuff. A power window shade motor broke, along with a couple of drawer latches. Overall, the house part of the coach has been darn near perfect.

In my mind, the most important thing is that both Foretravel and Spartan have been very good to deal with. It's never fun to have problems (especially a major oil spill in front of your house!), but they have really seemed concerned, and have been helpful in getting the problems repaired.

Overall, I have no regrets about my purchase!
RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:18 PM   #8

I underestand about new coach problems, dealing with many on our current home. Wish it was't the case in the RV industry but I guess it's just the way it is. I do agree that it's how the builder handles those problems, not real satisfied with my current situation.

I'm doing my research and will make a much better informed decision next time.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2016, 06:22 PM   #9

If it's an older one your looking for they too are very good quality. Ours is a 1989 and we are the third owner with very few problems even with the age. Love this brand! Our next one will be a Foretravel too. Happy searching
Jd-mpmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:36 AM   #10

Honestly we are a few years away from our next RV purchase so Im just shopping and gathering information for now.

When we are ready to purchase it will most likely have to be 10 years old or newer since we will have to finance and most companies I've spoke with will only finance 10 years old or newer.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:42 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
HarleyOutlaw, we have a 2012 nimbus and it is a dream come true. As with any coach, there are always problems, but so far we have had only a couple of minor problems, our front A/C occasionally pops the breaker. We have had a couple of drawer catches break, and one of our plug-ins stopped working on the maiden trip.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Darn phone, HarleyOutlaw, you can get an outstanding coach from Foretravel, just keep looking.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Gotcha.

I did send an information request to Foretravel an waiting for a reply. I thought I saw on their website you cold get the Realm direct from Foretravel, might be my mistake tho.

Besides, my walletbank vault says used market for me. Appreciate the info.
I fixed it for you
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:55 PM   #14

In case anyone is wondering, I got a reply from Foretravel and you can get a new Phenix. Difference between it and the IH is the height. Phenix being 10"overall shorter, good if you have height restrictions in your area I guess. Priced the same as the IH since it is also a full custom build.

Tags
travel