Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2015, 05:47 AM   #1

1993 Gulf Stream Sunsport Newbie Questions

Hello,
Total RV newbies here! We've come across a barter deal on a 1993 Gulf Stream Sunsport. We are going to see it today, so I'd like to know what we should look for or test in order to decide to do this deal (I'm sure there is a lot!). It has the Chevy motor, uses gas and is 30 feet long.

As far as this model is concerned, is the Sunsport a "low", "midrange" or "deluxe" type model as far as the Gulf Stream is concerned? Will this model tow a mini van?

We are selling our house, and this would be part of a barter on the down payment, so we'd own it outright and we don't want to make stupid newbie mistakes

We're not sure how long we plan to live in it, a year? If we like RVing, longer! Neither one of us has owned or lived in an RV before. We are event vendors, and currently travel frequently from our home base, so this would open up more opportunities for us. There are only two of us who intend to live in it.

If we decide to sell it after a year, is this model easily resold, or is it a problematic RV that we'd get stuck with if we wanted to sell it?

I can take photos of it and post them if this would help you to help us?

Thank you so kindly for any help you can offer. I'm so glad I found this forum!
DesertLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2015, 01:15 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Inspect with your eyes and nose, leave your heart out of it. Look for evidence of leaks, staining on ceiling and walls. You nose can help identify mold or other bad smells, like plumbing and septic system issues.

Go on the roof and look at condition of the EDPM roof coating or sealant, caulking at seams and roof piercings, etc.

Tires usually age out before they wear out . Check the age of the tires. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

7 years old is usually considered the limit. Check the batteries condition and ages. Ask for everything to be demonstrated. Shore power, water system, generator (if equipped) air conditioner(s) furnace, water heater, etc.

Be sure to drive it, paying attention to engine sounds, shifting, braking. Check for exhaust or manifold leaks.

Good luck with it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:49 PM   #3

As far as this model is concerned, is this a low or midrange model?
Old 08-31-2015, 06:49 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertLass View Post
As far as this model is concerned, is this a low or midrange model?
I really don't know, you can go through the brochures for 1993 and see what amenities they came with from the factory. I'm sure some know better than I do.

http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/towab...earchives.html

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:04 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
93 Sunsport was an entry level class A. Check out Kelly Blue Book for a wholesale price.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:05 AM   #6

Rats! This unit was a "no go". It smelled like farm animals, had not been taken care of very well, and had several issues that needed fixing, so we didn't want to walk away from our house for that one. Back to the drawing board.

We did change the ad on our house that we're selling for a barter on a DECENT RV. That deal did come with two "hoopty" cars, that we would have sold off for the cash.

The snowbirds will start coming back to Arizona soon, so maybe I'll post the barter offer all over town, perhaps someone would want a winter home in Arizona, and we can "ride off into the sunset"

Perhaps there's a place I can run an ad that would appeal to RVers online? Any suggestions?

Tags