Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:26 PM   #1

1996 Scenic Cruiser - Three Thermostats?

The Coach has two rooftop Coleman AC units and two Coleman Thermostats, one in the kitchen/dining area and one in the bedroom.

There is another RobertShaw Thermostat above the Coleman in the kitchen/dining area and I can't figure out what it is for.

The Coleman Thermostat in the Kitchen/Dining area controls the front roof AC and (on Heat setting) the Suburban Furnace - the system is ducted in the floor with a vent (or vents) in the basement near the tanks. The bedroom Coleman Thermostat controls the Bedroom/Rear roof AC but does nothing for the furnace (on Heat setting).

The last owner (2nd) thought that RobertShaw Thermostat controlled the basement heat but I explained about the vents down there and I could feel it warming up when I had the heat going up top inside. Then he thought maybe that RobertShaw Thermostat was for running off the batteries when no generator or shore power.

I turned the bottom switch to On (right) on the RobertShaw Thermostat and when I moved the upper switch past the current interior temperature, I can hear the click. The furnace does not come on (at least the blower) and I don't hear any other sound. I left those switches in those positions (top one at max) for several minutes.

Any ideas what the top Thermostat is for?

Curious if any other Scenic Cruiser from that era have these three Thermostats.

1996 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2017, 02:44 PM   #2

I just watched the following video about the Suburban SF-42 Furnace (which is in this Coach) and he talks (@4:58 mins) about the 2nd Blue wire and the old style on/off slider type thermostats (like the Robert Shaw). Not sure if this is relevant or not.

1996 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
Old 10-05-2017, 10:01 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
The Coach has two rooftop Coleman AC units and two Coleman Thermostats, one in the kitchen/dining area and one in the bedroom.

There is another RobertShaw Thermostat above the Coleman in the kitchen/dining area and I can't figure out what it is for.

The Coleman Thermostat in the Kitchen/Dining area controls the front roof AC and (on Heat setting) the Suburban Furnace - the system is ducted in the floor with a vent (or vents) in the basement near the tanks. The bedroom Coleman Thermostat controls the Bedroom/Rear roof AC but does nothing for the furnace (on Heat setting).

The last owner (2nd) thought that RobertShaw Thermostat controlled the basement heat but I explained about the vents down there and I could feel it warming up when I had the heat going up top inside. Then he thought maybe that RobertShaw Thermostat was for running off the batteries when no generator or shore power.

I turned the bottom switch to On (right) on the RobertShaw Thermostat and when I moved the upper switch past the current interior temperature, I can hear the click. The furnace does not come on (at least the blower) and I don't hear any other sound. I left those switches in those positions (top one at max) for several minutes.

Any ideas what the top Thermostat is for?

Curious if any other Scenic Cruiser from that era have these three Thermostats.

I have the same setup in my 95 SC. I was told when I bought it that it was associated with the rooftop fan in between the kitchen/dinette. He wasn't sure why it was a thermostat. I never verified this.
Nominefili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:59 PM   #4

My Fantastic Vent brand roof top fans are controlled by a thermostat.....
Place fan in Auto (locally at fan)....set temp and when room temp reaches set point lid opens and fan comes on.
Room temp drops below set point lid closes/fans stops

That Robershaw thermostat maybe for that fan and work similar'
Check fan controls at fan for an auto setting.

Just a note for info.....
Your Coleman thermostat is classified as a 'slider type' also.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:44 AM   #5

I see, makes sense.

The vents in this Coach were replaced I believe, they are fantastic vents with date codes on the motors around the early 2000's. These are just 3 speeds and in/out for air movement. No lift assist.

The wire from that thermostat is probably still up there. I'll have to look one day.

They do make kits to upgrade these vents to the auto lift but those are now all wireless I think and I'm not sure they connect to a wired thermostat or remote switch.

Fantastic Fan upgrade kit
Model # 7350
Part # 807359 - white
Part # 807358 off white

Old 10-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #6

My 1994 Scenic Cruiser has the SHaw thermostat located jus as you enter the bedroom and controles the furnace. My Colman thermo is mounted in the kitchen next to the microwave and controles the air conditioner. My roof unit was replaced with a new Coleman and this thermostat was installed.

Tags
auto lift, coleman, fantastic vent, furnace, robertshaw, thermostat