Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #1

2006 Gulf Stream BT Cruiser advice

Hi. We’re looking at this Class B, 25 ft. It’s a 5231B. Anything we need to watch out for? Any known issues? It looks to be in great shape. Thanks for any input.
lbowman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2019, 02:43 PM   #2

To start, it's a small Class/Type C, not a Class/Type B. B's are a complete cargo or other van, that's been upfitted and converted inside to have the amenities of a motorhome. The van body is still intact. C's are a living area box, that was added to a separate cab chassis of some sort.

Thus endeth the lesson.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbowman44 View Post
Hi. We’re looking at this Class B, 25 ft. It’s a 5231B. Anything we need to watch out for? Any known issues? It looks to be in great shape. Thanks for any input.
Well, now that you know what type of RV it is, based on its age, and in general terms …
  • Plastic will be brittle and subject to breaking
  • How many miles on the BT Cruiser?
  • What's been done to maintain it?
  • Have it checked underneath by a certified mechanic
  • Can you test drive it first?
  • How does the suspension feel?
  • What about the steering, braking, acceleration, etc..?
  • I'd be concerned about the functionality of all of the RV systems such as furnace, A/C, water heater, water pump, etc.
  • Find out how many owners have used this RV. Does the mileage make sense?
  • An RV that has been sitting idle for a long time can be worse than one that has been driven across the country multiple times

I purchased one brand new trailer and two used Class B vans. Be prepared for the worst but, if in good shape, that RV could be a good purchase.

So, what could go wrong with my, new to me 2018 Okanagan? Whoever changed the oil filter poked a hole and scratched the filter while replacing it. Don't know if the Dealer did the oil change or the previous owner, but it made a mess.

To the site admins … probably best to move this to the Class C forum where owners can write about the specifics for the BT Cruiser.
scubastevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:11 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. The dealers that we’ve talked to say that if it has a bed over the cab, it’s a C. This one doesn’t. There’s no overhang. We were told it’s a B.
lbowman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your dealer is correct...

The BT Cruiser line is a Class/Type B per the maker:
https://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/products/motorhomes
...and per RVIA (the industry standards organization).

Class/Type C's have a sleeping space/bed over the cab.

Gulf Stream is a major maker and survived the recession that killed many other brands. These are generally well made RV's and use systems that are commonly available for parts and service (few one-off bits that are hard/expensive to maintain or repair).

For a 2006 model, the care given over the last 13 years is much more important than any other factors. Give the RV a hard inspection or pay a professional inspector. And look real hard for any water damage. That is the WORST element for RV's and can be hidden behind cabinets and such. And tires might be an expensive update needed if the tires are original.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:47 AM   #6

Class C Definition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Your dealer is correct...

The BT Cruiser line is a Class/Type B per the maker:
https://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/products/motorhomes
...and per RVIA (the industry standards organization).

Class/Type C's have a sleeping space/bed over the cab.

Actually, Winterbagoal is correct. The defining feature of a Class C - is the cut away chassis. This is why all those B+ models are considered as a marketing term only. And, by your definition, the BT Cruiser does have a cab over - it just happens to be a small one used for storage cabinets. No where has any organization stated the cab over must be a specific height, length or width - which means, those values can actually be 0 x 0 x 0.

Eliminating a cab over does not change it to a Class B Camper van. No where on Gulf Stream's website has the BT Cruiser been called a Class B. Gulf Stream received a Ford E350 or E450 chassis with a cab only and built up the house upon it - they did not modify a Ford E350 or E450 van that was built at the factory.

You'll see in my signature that I've owned a 2004 Great West Vans Supreme Classic - this RV actually had a sleeping area over the cab. By your definition, this would be a Class C, but by industry definition it was definitely a Class B via the RVIA's label on it. This Ford E350 van simply had the roof cut off to increase the interior height, install cabinets and add a sleeping area above the van's two front seats - this modification, to a pre-existing cargo van, made it a Class B.

The RVIA has defined the official RV classes - not Wikipedia, not a sales person, not any web site.

Hope this clears up any confusion out there regarding Class B and C models.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:33 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubastevee View Post
Actually, Winterbagoal is correct. The defining feature of a Class C - is the cut away chassis... (SIC)

The RVIA has defined the official RV classes - not Wikipedia, not a sales person, not any web site.

Hope this clears up any confusion out there regarding Class B and C models.
Reference please

While it is correct that RVIA sets standards, the belief that a Class/Type B always retains the OEM van's body panels is erroneous. The difference between B and C is the sleeping area over the cab.

Several makers try to negotiate the old belief about cut-away chassis by using the term "B+."..like Nexus has a Beautiful B called the Viper:
https://www.nexusrv.com/check-our-rv...orhomes--viper

This industry review describes it here:
https://rvreviews.net/rv-types/class-b-plus-motorhomes/

Even the Classified companies have affirmed this nomenclature:
https://www.rvt.com/New-and-Used-Cla...ype=Class+B%2B

Hope THIS clears up any confusion out there regarding Class B and C models.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 06-22-2019, 01:06 PM   #8

Class B Definition

Hi … sure, here you go:

Class B

https://gorving.com/compare-rvs/moto...pe-b-motorhome

Class C

https://gorving.com/compare-rvs/moto...pe-c-motorhome

You will note the photo of the Class C does not show a cab over for sleeping. It's an option. Granted an option that the vast majority of Class C RVs have but not the defining factor. The BT Cruiser is a Class C RV.

These links are taken from www.rvia.org For those that don't know, Go RVing is the marketing arm of the RVIA.

RVIA is the organization that deals with the governments concerning RV regulations - if the classes aren't defined, the regulations are meaningless.

You can argue against the RVIA on this, but since they represent the RV manufacturers in dealing with the governments …

No where does the Gulf Stream web site state the BT Cruiser is a Class B. I did a word search … nada.

"While it is correct that RVIA sets standards, the belief that a Class/Type B always retains the OEM van's body panels is erroneous."

I never made this statement, yet you are replying to me …

And, as previously noted, my Great West Vans RV, even though it had a sleeping area over the cab, was certified, by the RVIA, as a Class B … as per the definition in the link above.

Cheers, Steve
Old 06-22-2019, 03:26 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Errrr...Not factual...
"GoRVing" is an ad agency created and supported by makers, dealers and campground owners - recognized by, but not under the control of the RVIA.
See: https://gorvingnewsroom.com/contact/

By accepting the erroneous descriptions there, is to say makers like Forest River, Nexus, and all the other makers DO NOT know the standardized "Types" (RVIA ended "Class years ago) of their own product.

But there is LOTS of that in the industry. Like Newmar still publishes CCC for motorhones - a capacity now only used for towables . The RVIA standard for motorhomes is OCCC (a lower number). Using CCC makes Newmar look better to buyers that do not know the difference.
https://rvsafety.com/weighing/weighing-glossary

Oh well.

So..back to help the OP...Any opinions on a 2006 BT Cruiser?

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 09-06-2019, 10:52 AM   #10

BOOP BUMP

I'm looking at 2003-2006 Gulfstream BT Cruiser, too.
There are a few 5230 for sale. I'm going to look at one tomorrow.

The 5250 with two slideouts is also tickling my lust meter.

I'm looking at a used Gulf Stream BT Cruiser B+ because our mission is: Two people, single bed, no overhead bed, E450 looks good, I like Ford, length 21-24 feet because I'm a maniac when handling bigger, need at least one slideout because we need walking space, very rare boondocking so the word that it's not for snowbirding is fine, I will be often towing a <2000lb trailer with scooters and additional storage for supplies.

SHMBO has condemned our Clarion, mostly due to the wet bath and space and given me permission to look for an upgrade.

I only need room for two plus two dogs. SHMBO demands a dry bath. I demand a short chassis that I won't hit things with.

Any advice from BT Cruiser owners?
1991 Clarion by Coachmen #143 (for sale)
2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2551
pilotmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, gulf stream