Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2019, 10:35 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
99 Gulfstream switches.

My brother in law just picked up a 99 gulfstream 37' dp. We are trying to figure out why the two forward florescent ceiling lights don't have any power to them. There are two switches on the side of the kitchen island. One is a three wire switch. It sends power to the floor lights when it is in the up position. But we can't seem figure out where power goes when it is in the down position.
There is another switch next to the other that has a small red light that comes on when the switch is in the on position. We cannot figure out what this one turns on either. Any suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2019, 05:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I forgot to say its a Sun Voyager.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
My Sun Voyager has the hall floor light switch on the kitchen cabinet. It works as a 3 wya switch, the other switch for it is on the bedroom wall next to hall entry. I don't have the switch with indicator light but have had it on 2 other motorhomes and it was Master switch for the cargo compartment lights. Look for another wall switch close to the entry door that may turn power on/off to the front ceiling lights.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENSHER View Post
My Sun Voyager has the hall floor light switch on the kitchen cabinet. It works as a 3 wya switch, the other switch for it is on the bedroom wall next to hall entry. I don't have the switch with indicator light but have had it on 2 other motorhomes and it was Master switch for the cargo compartment lights. Look for another wall switch close to the entry door that may turn power on/off to the front ceiling lights.
I have a 2004 gas Sunvoyager with a switch that has a red light on it and it turns on the water heater. Maybe yours is the same. As far as the other switch on mine, I have a switch on the side of the kitchen cabinet that turns on one over head ligjt and that light also has an on/off switch on it. I hope this helps.
soundon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:27 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundon01 View Post
I have a 2004 gas Sunvoyager with a switch that has a red light on it and it turns on the water heater. Maybe yours is the same. As far as the other switch on mine, I have a switch on the side of the kitchen cabinet that turns on one over head ligjt and that light also has an on/off switch on it. I hope this helps.
I will check the water heater. Makes sense. That switch has romex type house wire to it.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:46 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Light switches.

On my 99 Scenic Cruiser the switch beside the sink with the red light is for the water heater. I have a toggle switch on my range hood that if you push it one way the heater is on gas, push it the other way and also turn on that switch with the red light and it's on electric. If your unit is like mine there is a row of toggle switches down by the steps just as you enter. One of those provides power for the ceiling florescent fixture. That switch must be thrown along with the switch on the light fixture itself. This is so you can turn on that light before entering the coach. The switch next to it is for the outside light and some rope lights above the steps. Check and see if his is set up the same way.
DandyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:58 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M. View Post
My brother in law just picked up a 99 gulfstream 37' dp. We are trying to figure out why the two forward florescent ceiling lights don't have any power to them. There are two switches on the side of the kitchen island. One is a three wire switch. It sends power to the floor lights when it is in the up position. But we can't seem figure out where power goes when it is in the down position.
There is another switch next to the other that has a small red light that comes on when the switch is in the on position. We cannot figure out what this one turns on either. Any suggestions?
Many Class-C have a ceiling light at top of stairs, which is controlled by switch at door, but switch on fixture must also be ON... inconventient to turn OFF at door once inside, so use switch on fixture; then make sure ceiling light ON when leaving and turn OFF at door.. Your fluorescent maybe similar?
Old 03-29-2019, 11:01 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Switches w/ Lights (generally) goto items like water heater, tank heaters, (or Emergency Start), i.e. Items that are NOT generally left ON when not in use
Old 03-30-2019, 10:51 PM   #9

I agree that the switch with the red light is for the electric/gas water heater. The two fluorescent lights on the ceiling on my Scenic Cruiser are controlled by a switch on the hall way.

There is another switch that has a red light on it and that one on mine is on the bed box and that is for the block heater for the engine in cold weather.

Forgot that the ceiling lights also have an off on switch right on the fixture. I never use them, but they are there and if they are in the off position, the lights will not go on.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 04:19 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone.
Found the switch for the front light. It's by the door. We had to replace the bulbs as well. There is another three way switch for the floor lights. We found it behind the bathroom door. We think the switch with the light is for the water heater. We still have low temps in the twenties for the next few days. Will fill the system with water and test as soon as the weather allows.

Tags
gulfstream, switch