Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2017, 01:20 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
99 Scenic Cruiser battery/transmission problem

99 Guflstream Scenic Cruiser. 325 HP Cummins/Allison 6 speed.

Was going to start my annual trip west tomorrow. Went out today to start my engine and perhaps the generator to charge the batteries. Only thing I really had running the past week or so has been the refrigerator, in gas mode and only for a day or so. Anyhow I started the engine, which started fine. Then tried to start the generator, which started fine when I checked it a couple weeks ago. It wouldn't start. I thought I'd simply let the engine idle for an hour or so to charge the batteries a bit. Went to do some other things and when I came back the batteries seemed even lower, not showing more than 5 volts on the dash and about 10 when I check the battery level on the checker located on the panel above my stove. Thought the alternator might have a problem, but wonder if 500 rpm's isn't enough engine speed to charge them? Wanted to try to nurse it to a service center about 15 miles from where I have it parked. Low and behold my transmission won't shift into drive or reverse. Hit either button and neither works. Indicator light still shows neutral. Is there some sort of system that keeps the tranny from going into gear when batteries are low? Sounds odd but I guess it's possible. What say ye?
DandyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Sounds like you need to check out your charging system. After a few hours at rest, test the batteries directly at their posts with a voltmeter. A charged battery will read 12.7v. A battery is considered 50% charged at 11.9v. Lower than that and it is likely damaged if it won't hold a charge. Then start the engine and take second readings at all battery terminals. You should see a rise in voltage, 13.4v or more, even if fully charged.

Then shut down engines and plug into shore power. Your converter/charger should also charge all batteries and show 13.4v or higher. Be sure to wait a minute or more to test, your system likely has a time delay before connecting all batteries when charging.

If some or none of the batteries show charge, then I'd next remove, clean, and re-connect all battery and ground connections. Again take readings as above, if things now work, breathe a sigh of relief and go on your trip. If things didn't change, you likely have either a bad connection or a failing battery disconnect solenoid.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:05 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Just wanted to let everyone know we solved this problem by installing a new battery solenoid. $40 fix!!
Old 10-13-2017, 09:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDon View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know we solved this problem by installing a new battery solenoid. $40 fix!!
Where is that solenoid location on your coach? Have a pic that you can share?

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:03 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post

I'll take a photo and try to figure out how to post it here asap!
Old 10-14-2017, 05:14 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post

Spartan chassis usually have an electrical bay on the driver's side, in front of the steer tire. That's where my solenoids for house, chassis disconnect solenoids, chassis fuses and relays are located. Photos of relays and solenoids can be found with a Google image search.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-14-2017, 10:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Spartan chassis usually have an electrical bay on the driver's side, in front of the steer tire. That's where my solenoids for house, chassis disconnect solenoids, chassis fuses and relays are located. Photos of relays and solenoids can be found with a Google image search.
Yes, I have that bay as well on the front driver's side. Just curious which is that one is.
1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
Old 10-14-2017, 11:08 PM   #8

this is my front bay:

BCC Lid flipped showing wiring diagram
https://www.pdf-archive.com/timer.php?id=685503

full rez version above

Old 10-14-2017, 11:15 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
When I first got my RV home, I had my wife flip the battery disconnect switches one at a time while I had fingers on each one. When she tripped the house solenoid I could feel it, same for the chassis solenoid. I labeled them with a Sharpie.

Bob & Donna

Tags
battery, transmission