RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:36 PM   #1

Allison 2100 shift problems

This is the second time I have had crazy indications with the Allison Trans. The first time was last year. I accelerated at full throttle on level ground to see where the trans would shift. Well it shifted very hard at about 4900 rpm. After that it was like stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear. Pulled over. I had no alarms with this event. shut down and then restarted and all was well again. Went 1000 miles on that trip with no problems.

Today I was descending a bridge and the traffic was slowing so I downshifted the trans to use engine braking. I downshifted a second time and then when I reached the level road I put the shifter back in Drive. It shifted to Drive. Stopped at a light about a half mile later. The trans was like stuck in drive. I was able to get to a safe place on the side of the road and shut down and restarted. No change. I got it up to speed very slowly and was cruising at about 60 toward home that was 18 miles away. I got an alarm and a message saying to check Transmission Temp. I was 5 miles out at this point and turned to a 40 mph road. The warning message went away. When I got home and tried to back in driveway I had no reverse. Pulled over, shut down, drove around block and then it backed up. Left it running and it had a clanking sound from the transmission. I checked the fluid and it is like new. There was no smell either. I had it serviced about 3000 miles ago. I Level was maybe a pint down (warm).

This is clear on maybe yellow fluid. Is it Mil 5606?

I let it sit for an hour. Then I drove it about 10 miles and it acted normal.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with an Allison 2100?

Sudsy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2018, 06:48 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm not sure you're saving any money by continuing to try and coax a transmission that is acting up. More damage might be done. An Allison shop should be able to connect to the transmission and figure out the issue before more stress is put on the transmission components. I've not had much success ignoring transmission issues, to don't usually heal themselves.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'm not sure you're saving any money by continuing to try and coax a transmission that is acting up. More damage might be done. An Allison shop should be able to connect to the transmission and figure out the issue before more stress is put on the transmission components. I've not had much success ignoring transmission issues, to don't usually heal themselves.

I am not trying to "save money" and was simply asking if anyone else has had these type things happen. As I find now I should have turned the OD off in addition to downshifting. The first time I just wound the motor up too much and let off suddenly after it up-shifted. I am learning. There are no codes showing either.

Sudsy

Tags
allison, ems, problems