Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2016, 06:26 PM   #1

Flushing engine coolant

First of all I have a 2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser. I want to take it to get the radiator and block flushed out and replace the coolant with the pre-mix red Caterpillar anti freeze.

Now my question is how many quarts of anti freeze will a 3126-E Caterpillar engine take.

I got an RV place that will do it at $100.00 per hour and he said it takes about four hours to flush it out, but I would have to furnish the anti freeze and they will do the labor.

I can get the anti freeze from Napa for 13.99 per gallon, on the pre-mix red.

Could use some help as to how many gallons to buy. I figure it is around 11 gallons, but I would like to here from other owners that have the same engine.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2016, 08:31 PM   #2

Your owners manual will have the answer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:43 PM   #3

The Caterpillar manual covers many Cat engines, but is not specific as to how many gallons of anti freeze the 3126-E would hold.

It just tells you how to drain the old anti freeze out through the pet cock on the bottom corner of the radiator and how to flush it with water. Then how to refill so that you do not have a air pocket. But I could not find exactly how many gallons it holds. Then again there could be different size radiators on different coaches.

I was just hoping somebody on the Gulf Stream section that somebody would have had a Scenic Cruiser and might have had the experience of flushing the system.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:05 AM   #4

Buy plenty of it and just return the full unused ones. $400? I prefer to do it myself.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:41 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If you can find a shop with a flushing machine, it could be done in less than an hour.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:56 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There will always be water in the system when through flushing. To compensate you need to use straight coolant for half the needed amount, then finish filling with distilled water. Doing it with the premix will get you less than a 50/50 mix.
You might need 10 gallons total 50/50 mix but if there's 2 gallons of water in the system then you need 5 gallons straight coolant and 3 gallons of distilled water to give you the correct ratio.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
First of all I have a 2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser. I want to take it to get the radiator and block flushed out and replace the coolant with the pre-mix red Caterpillar anti freeze.

Now my question is how many quarts of anti freeze will a 3126-E Caterpillar engine take.

I got an RV place that will do it at $100.00 per hour and he said it takes about four hours to flush it out, but I would have to furnish the anti freeze and they will do the labor.

I can get the anti freeze from Napa for 13.99 per gallon, on the pre-mix red.

Could use some help as to how many gallons to buy. I figure it is around 11 gallons, but I would like to here from other owners that have the same engine.
4 Hours LOL someones sleeping on the job.

Pull the drain plugs, drain the system, about 15 minutes.

run clean water through the system 30 minutes

Install drain plugs and refill the system about 30 minutes.

Not rocket science

Happy Thanks giving.

Tags
engine