Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2015, 10:15 PM   #1

Generator not putting out power

My genarator was not putting out any power I checked with my multimeter and this 120ac power all the way to converter and that it the black and white wire go down into converter and am thinking it connects to braker bar??? Not sure...
96sunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2015, 03:18 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Your generator should be going into a transfer switch first and then to the electrical distribution panel. Transfer switches are a weak link in alternating current power restrictions. Take the cover off and with a multimeter check for power in and out going to distribution panel. If you have power going into the transfer switch and no power out; check for obvious things like burnt wiring and loose connections. If, noting is obvious, the transfer switch is defective and must be repaired or replaced.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:30 AM   #3

The only way of getting to transfer switch is by drilling out the rivets to get in. Can I switch the wires out at the box shore with generator? Till I can get new transfer switch? Well it work..
Old 04-27-2015, 10:56 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96sunman View Post
My genarator was not putting out any power I checked with my multimeter and this 120ac power all the way to converter and that it the black and white wire go down into converter and am thinking it connects to braker bar??? Not sure...
OP says he has power to the converter. If there was a problem with the transfer switch there wouldn't be any power to the converter. At least that's the way my transfer switch is wired.
Have you checked other plugs? If only part of the plugs are dead, could be a breaker on the generator is trippped. My generator has two breakers, if one is trippped part of the plugs are dead.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:31 PM   #5

We'll I'm getting power to the converter but not to the breakers there are 2 sets of wire going in to the converter and I can not see what they connect to in there, 1 for shore line power and1 for the generator. Shore line has power at breakers not the generator. I switched the wires today I put shore line to were the generator was and generator to shore line. So now generator works fine but not shore line so their is something wrong in side converter ?
Old 04-28-2015, 03:16 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
What you are calling the converter is probably the transfer switch. I has the power lines from power cord, generator and output to electrical distribution panel (circuit breaker box). Some of the older coaches had all three as one component.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:43 AM   #7

Are you sure you have a transfer switch? If not you need to plug your shore power cord into the generator outlet in the shore power storage compartment.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:42 AM   #8

Sorry I didn't understand shore line compartment? RV wizard .. You maybe right the converter fits inside this box were all the wire go in to but you can't take it apart unlisted you drill out .
Old 05-02-2015, 03:55 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Disconnect the wiring from the bad component and install a freestanding Transfer switch and then back feed the distribution panel out of the transfer switch straight to the main circuit breaker

Tags
power, generator