Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2016, 11:19 AM   #1

Generator Help Please

Can anyone be kind enough to point me in the direction on how to remove my generator. We just purchased it and everything was fine. Drove it home 3.5 hours and went to bed. Got up the next day and there was oil spots on the driveway. Checked oil level and it was full so didn't think anything of it. Went to church came back home started the generator to run ac's for friends to come over and look at it. Ran the generator for about an hour. Shut everything off and noticed the oil spot was now a puddle and no oil on the stick. Looked online and read that there are oil cooler lines that people say to replace the clamps with the screw type. Looking for any advice or direction I need to go. The motorhome is a 2005 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager 30' and the generator is a guardian quietpact 55g. Only 100 hours on the generator.
Ramz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 11:29 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would start by reading your owners manual. If you don't have one here is the link to the manual. I would suggest downloading it to your PC.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I would crawl under, see where it is leaking, repair as needed.
DjDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:12 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have the 75G, had the same problem at 200 hours. From my research I found out these generators have a known problem with cheap clamps on oil cooler lines. It's a $5 part to fix, but a real pain to get to it. My generator is supposed to weigh over 300 lbs so I took it to a generator repair shop to let the younger guys pull it out. Don't remember the cost, I'm thinking it was around $400. The most of the labor was getting it in and out.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:41 AM   #5

Thumbs up

Thank you guys for the posts. Took it out over the weekend and it was the oil cooler lines. The clamps have already been changed but were really loose. Again thank you for the tips.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:53 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
How did you get it out? Those things are heavy
Old 08-02-2016, 06:04 AM   #7

A buddy and a jack. After unbolting it from the frame we slid it out on a jack and wheeled it out of the way. Installed it back in the same way. Wasn't to bad of a job just time consuming. Took me all day Saturday. But drilling the bolts out that I broke took the most time up.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:05 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Did you remove the entire unit or just the engine? I need to do the same on ours. Talked to Camping World and they want $2800.00 to remove and put back in, and that doesn't figure in the cost of repair, which is out of the question.
belanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:17 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
That's why we call them "stealers".....!
DjDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:12 PM   #10

I took the whole unit out. On my generator the oil cooler was in the very back so you have to take the outside walls off to get to it. Give yourself some time it is not a quick process and you will probably break the rusted bolts if you have any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belanga
I have a 2004 Sun Voyager and need to remove our generator. Did you remove yours thru the door or drop it out the bottom? I appears the only way is out the door.
Mine came out the door. The Cross member where the door latches was just bolted into place.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:04 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Well I pulled my Generac out to get at the oil cooler. Checked the clamps and they were the good kind, screw clamps. Did not see any excessive oil around it. It has been there for 12 years with only 300 hours on it so I think what I will do is power wash the entire unit and put it back in. Maybe it was just the accumulation of oil that got on the exhaust pipe which made it look real bad. These units are know for oil leaks so what the heck. Maybe I need to power wash it more. Since it isn't a real bad job to take in or out. If it works I save myself around $4500 for replacement.
belanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:27 AM   #12

Exactly, glad to here everything worked out and you saved a ton of money. When I finally got to my oil cooler it also had the screw clamps already installed. But the clamps were really loose. Did you make sure they didn't tighten them to much to puncture the hose. Just a thought....although it doesn't sound like your leak is to bad right now. Mine leaked a puddle after running and the tray was full.
Ramz28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator