RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:05 AM   #1

Generator not talking to A/C current

My generator runs beautifully but not sending power to the house current. I checked fuses and breakers. Shore power works. I have no technical experience and no money. Full time solo senior.

Homexec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2018, 07:09 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forum. There should be a breaker or two on the unit self.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:19 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Had the same problem. Opened service door and found circuit breakers. They did not show any sign of being tripped but were off after shop changed generator oil.
btolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:52 AM   #4

Look at the breakers.

If OK, then look for an outlet in the shore cord compartment. Some MHs don't have auto transfer switchs and need the shore cord plugged in to a generator outlet to supply the 120 volts..
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:59 AM   #5

Thank you. My rig has an auto transfer relay switch. Very hard to get to under bathroom counter.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:00 AM   #6

Thank you but no.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:04 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Time to breakout the multimeter and/or test lamp and trace the power back from the generator to identify where the power is blocked, alternatively go from the “fuse” box forward.
Either way be carful about getting a wallop, it hurts.
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:08 AM   #8

hopefully this will be pretty simple, but some more information would help. i see this is you first post. is this a new rv to you or have you had it for some time? is the generator built in or is it a outside model? has the generator ever supplied power to the rv? do you have an automatic transfer switch?

the two things mentioned should be checked out.
reset the circuit breakers on the generator itself. if it is a built in unit you may have to remove the generator cover to get to them. there will be one if it is supplies a 30 amp rv, 2 if a 50 amp rv.

if you do not have an automatic transfer switch you will need to unplug the shore power cord and plug it into the generator output receptacle, this will most likely be located in the same compartment as the built in generator.

there is one other possibility if the generator is a standalone generator. you have to plug the shore power cord into the generator. do you have a EMS system installed on the incoming power cord? if so it may not allow generator power into the rv due to a open neutral on the generator. this is easily fixed. if you have an EMS is it displaying any error conditions?

all of this is resolvable. just need to know what we are dealing with.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:17 PM   #9

Hi Bigchick! I have a 2005 Gulfstream. On board Onan generator. Automatic relay switch. There is a switch on the generator that I don't know what it is. I have tried it on and off with no difference. I checked all fuses, even the chassis fuses and the breakers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:45 AM   #10

i suspect the switch on the generator is the circuit breaker. turn it off and then back to the on position to reset it. they see if you get generator power. hopefully yes.

if not, it's time for some troubleshooting. first thing would be to see if the generator is flashing any error codes. it does this by flashing a sequence of lights on the start switch. if it is, get the codes and check them again the troubleshooting section of the generator manual.

if no error codes, you'r going to have to get some voltage measurements. DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE OF DOING THIS SAFELY AS YOU WILL BE ACCESSING 120 VAC VOLTAGES!

i would start with a measurement at the generator input terminals to the transfer switch. you should be seeing 120 vac from the generator. if you do the problem is in the transfer switch. if not the problem is in the generator or the cable from the generator to the transfer switch.

if the transfer switch is receiving generator power you should here a clunk from it as it switches to generator power and another clunk when it returns to shore power once the generator is turned off.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:48 PM   #11

I will try it! Thank you Bigchick
Old 11-21-2018, 11:15 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok, Gulfstream, Onan, ATS, flipped breakers including Breaker on GEN, so
1) WHAT is NOT WORKING that tells you no Power? Receptacle?
2) Tried tripping & Resetting GFCI receptacles? (Suspect) you have TWO, one in kitchen and one in bath, (the Kitchen maybe UNDER the upper cabinet, above the sink on mine); have to bend over to see it.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:36 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
if the transfer switch is receiving generator power you should here a clunk from it as it switches to generator power and another clunk when it returns to shore power once the generator is turned off.[/QUOTE]

Just had our transfer switch replaced because of a similar problem this past summer. Generator would run fine, but our Energy Management System control panel wouldn’t light up when on generator power, and there was no power to the rooftop a/c’s. One of the first things that tipped me off as to what the trouble was, occurred when my wife would turn on the generator and I would wait by the transfer switch to see if I heard a “click” as it kicked on. When no click was heard, I knew it was time to have the transfer switch checked out and, just as I suspected, it was no longer working when the generator was turned on. This may possibly be your problem, also.

FloridaCanuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator