Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2018, 09:24 PM   #1

Generator question and charging question

Leaving for a cross country trip in a few weeks and need to get a few things figured out. 2006 Sun Voyager, Ford chassis. Is there a way to test the wattage coming of the generator? It's an Onan 5500 and I can get my vacuum to run but when I engage the brush, it wont come on. The vacuum has 1150 watts listed on the label. Shouldn't the generator run that no problem? Also, does the generator charge the coach battery or just the house batteries and does the alternator charge just the coach battery or the house batteries too? Just want to get this dialed in before I hit the road and any help is greatly appreciated!
1ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2018, 10:36 PM   #2

The 5500 is the gen set's output in watts. Try the roof air conditioner to check for good output, from the gen set.
Your year of coach should charge , coach and chassis batteries when on shore power and all coaches will charge both sets from the alternator.

PROVIDED everything is in good working order. Get out your voltmeter then check for voltage at the batteries ; both sets ; when on shore power and with the engine running.

Have you tried the vacuum on different outlets in the coach ? If you happen to be plugged in to an outlet that's on an inverted circuit there might not be enough power from the inverter to power the vacuum.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:58 AM   #3

The generator doesn't actually charge the batteries on most MHs.

It is a substute for shore power and runs the onboard charger just like when plugged in and that charges the batteries.

Of course, it should also run your vacuum cleaner and brush.

If a generator or a inverter breaker is tripped, the vacuum may be running on inverter power. The brush may be finicky and not operate on inverter power. You may not get battery charging as well.

Try the vacuum in another outlet or the house. If it works, look for tripped breakers.

Almost all MH will charge both the chassis and house batteries while the engine is running. If your not seeing that, you have another problem.

Hold the boost switch on while watching the house battery volts. If they don't climb slowly above 12.6 volts the isolation solenoid isn't working.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:21 PM   #4

The generator runs the AC just fine. I didn't know that there were different plugs in the coach. I assumed they were all the same and would function the same. How can you tell the difference? Some have a dc plug next to them (like a cigarette lighter socket). I did put my volt meter on the coach battery the other day because I went to start it and the battery was dead but it was also hooked up to shore power so not sure why the shore power didn't keep the coach battery charged. The volt meter read 14.4 on the coach battery when the engine was running (after I jumped it). I'll have to check the house batteries next time I'm over there. I purchased two Vmaxtanks AGM (125ah each) along with a smart charger. Under the bed there is an Inteli Power 9100 converter and a Lyght Power Systems automatic transfer switch but I haven't seen an inverter in the coach anywhere. The vacuum cleaner does work fine in my house. Is the isolation solenoid usually inside the coach or in the electrical box on the underside of the coach? Thanks for all the great info guys! I really appreciate it. Electrical issues have never been one of my strong suits....
1ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:30 AM   #5

If you haven't seen an inverter , there is a possibility that your coach doesn't have one.
Many times the outlets have decals from the factory ( GFIC protected & Inverter outlet) but the decals peal off after a few years.
As you go through your coaches compartments , have you seen a box about 10"X 10" X 3" marked BCC ( Battery Control Center ). There are two sizes of BCC. Pictures below. They have the relays on solenoids that control charging inside.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #6

Inverters are an option , at least on my 05 it was, my inverter is in the bay next to the batteries . Mine also did not charge house and coach batteries at the same time, I had to install a Bird system, bi directional charging , but they did put nice monitors in the coach, one from the surge guard that tell incoming voltage and amp meter, and a remote for the inverter, look for these if you have them they will tell you a lot

Tags
charging, generator