Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #1

Gulfstream Crescendo?

We currently have a gas-powered class A and are looking for a short (34-36í) diesel pusher. Used, moderately priced. It must have at least a 325-330hp motor and a 10k hitch. There is a 2007 Gulfstream Crescendo that seems to fill our needs, but itís not a brand I know anything about. Now they seem to have dropped their motor home line and focus on trailers.

The literature says nothing about braking systems or suspension. The chassis is made by Workhorse, and thatís not one I have heard of.

Anyone with experience or opinions on this? I like the layout of this coach, but am leery because I feel I donít have enough information!

Thank you.

KittyResq is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2018, 10:21 AM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
Workhorse is a tried and trusted motorhome chassis used by many manufacturers. We owned a W22 for 10 years.

They even have their own forums here;

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/

Old 02-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #3

The Gulfstream you are looking at is one of the few DP's built on the Workhorse UFO chassis.

Workhorse produced a gasoline and a diesel version. Both were pushers!

This is a very sophisticated chassis, the only problem is very few were built and the economic collapse ended the program for Workhorse and the UFO.

I would worry about parts availability+ lack of familiarity with this chassis by techs that you may have to have work performed.

Best of luck in your search!
Old 02-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #4

Workhorse is a good chassis but I don't think any were rated for 10,000lb towing.
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:25 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:17 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Another Crescendo

We are also looking at a 2006 Crescendo. I dont know anything about Gulf Stream. We are full timing in a Winnebago gasser and want to get to a longer diesel. Life changes as you know.

Any tips, tricks, warnings or otherwise knowledge about Gulf Stream DP's would be helpful.

It is powered by a 300hp Cat.

Thoughts?
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:41 PM   #7

Well, as you will find out all RV companies have different levels of pricing their coachs. In Gulf Stream your top of the line have been Scenic Cruiser, TourMaster, FriendShip and Crescendo. Crescendo was the lower prices of the diesel pushers. Most of the Crescendo's were on Freightliner chassis, but they did manufacture some with the Workhorse chassis. I would say all diesel pusher chassis are built heavy duty. So that would be the last thing I would worry about.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekethomas View Post
Any tips, tricks, warnings or otherwise knowledge about Gulf Stream DP's would be helpful.
I bought an 04 GS crescendo DP last year.

It had soot in the rear upper cupboards. I bought it knowing I would have to a big job to fix it. I removed the rear cap and found that they had done nothing to prevent road grime and diesel fumes from rising up the back and into the interior. Where the roof and sides meet is a triangular steel structure that had nothing capping the end. This allowed the soot to flow in behind the crown molding. It looked like mold on the ceiling liner, but you could tell it was dry and not moisture damage. So, look for that and avoid (or pay less). (I was willing to accept this because I knew I wanted to remove the back cap to run solar wires down the back and into the battery bay.)

The coolant tank needed to be replaced. The plastic deteriorates from UV. Any similar vintage freightliner will have this issue. If it is original, and say 10yrs old, it needs to be replaced.

Mine also needed an oil gasket between the engine and oil cooler. Mine was fine until a few months after I had it. My theory is that it sat for a while waiting for a new owner and the gaskets got a bit dry, then it took a while for normal usage to destroy them. So, I am not sure how you'd spot that before buying.

I am totally happy with all the stuff I do not want to replace, chassis, engine, etc, and also happy that the interior is run down enough that I don't feel stupid for replacing the low rent stuff. The captains chairs and the hideous recliner chair behind the passenger were awful vinyl material that allowed me no sleepless nights to toss in the junk yard. But you can see all that and decide for yourself.
johntaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:00 PM   #9

I looked at Gulfstream MH's, but I decided to go with a vendor that I can still get parts from and have a phone number to call for support. I'm glad I have that option if i need it.

-Bill
Old 05-15-2018, 11:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillSD View Post
I looked at Gulfstream MH's, but I decided to go with a vendor that I can still get parts from and have a phone number to call for support. I'm glad I have that option if i need it.

-Bill
The chassis are either Freight liner or Workhorse very common on most coach companies. Parts for the inside, you can find any part on PPL to Amazon.
About the only thing that would worry me is if I was to get into an accident and needed a front cap or rear cap. That might be a problem, not sure.

RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulfstream