RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:14 AM   #1

Unhappy Hitch problem.

Hallo you all!!
I would like to install the trailer hitch to tow a car in a full closed trailer.

Unfortunately in Italy I cannot install the hitch if the RV is 6 years old. Mine is 11 years old.

The law says that it is necessary to install it a conformity declaration from the Rv builder (constructor). Something like an authorization that says the RV can have it and the total amount of weight it can tow.

Who is contact to ask this document?
I wrote to an gulfstream address I found in the RV documents, but it say it is discontinued.

Please can someone help me?

Gulfstream Independence 8295i
model year 2006
VIN Nr. : 1F6NF53Y760A08658

Thanks!

Sandro

sandrofelisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2018, 11:08 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sondro-

Here is a link to the "Contact Us" Web page for Gulf Stream Coach.

The brochure for your coach (link here) indicates it could have come from the factory with a 5,000-pound hitch. The GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) for the Ford chassis is 25,500 pounds, and the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is 20,500 pounds. The difference is 5,000 pounds. Without further investigation (for instance, any tongue weight limits), it appears as if Gulf Stream intended the maximum towing weight to be 5,000 pounds. If this is correct, you need to be careful that the trailer and car combined weight does not exceed 5,000 pounds.

Also, you probably will need to add an electric brake controller to the coach. This is usually not too hard to do on a Ford chassis.

l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:54 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2007 Gulfstream independence and the hitch is rated 5000 lbs with a 26000 fever. Be careful as a trailer and vehicle may easily exceed this rating!
Old 01-04-2018, 12:59 AM   #4

Wink

Hi all!!
first of all thanks a lot.
The car is a very small car I will buy when the hitch will be homologated on the vehicle.
I think something like a Smart ForTwo or a Toyota IQ (2000pounds as example). Adding a standard auto-braking trailer (1000/1500 pounds), I will have at the end 3000/4000 pounds maximum.
(thanks for this weight limit information!)

Now I try to write to "contact us" indicated, I hope to be able to explain it well.

For the moment thanks a lot for your fantastic help.

Sandro
Old 01-10-2018, 09:37 AM   #5

HI!!

after one week no answer... in your experience it takes a long time to get an answer?
Just to know if the message has been sent or not...

Thanks!

(a small question... there is a replacement for the highbeam? (the front lights), there is an upgrade in xenon or in lenticular halogen?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fanafli.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	715.8 KB
ID:	188239  
Old 01-11-2018, 12:11 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Use the LINK (above, other message) to the BROCHURE? MAYBE THIS WOULD SATISFY THEIR REQUIREMENTS?
THenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Use the LINK (above, other message) to the BROCHURE? MAYBE THIS WOULD SATISFY THEIR REQUIREMENTS?
Sorry, i do not understand... can you explain me better please?
Old 01-11-2018, 04:32 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
There should be a weight plate that lists all of the weights, in the EU it is normally on a stamped metal plate in a couple of locations, on the US made RV's it seems it's often a sticker, usually near the drivers seat or inside one of the cupboards, off the top of my head I can't remember what the Americans call MTW (maximum Train Weight), I think it's GCWR if it lists one then (in the UK at least) then that would show "conformity".

I would be surprised if your RV didn't already come with a hitch receiver, basically a 10cm or so square tube at the back that the hitch itself slides into, in which case I think you could make a far case for already having it installed.

I've got an EU spec ball hitch that came with my (second hand) RV so you can get them (the electrics were already installed too).

If your planning on 4 wheel towing using an A frame or using a tow dolly bear in mind that they are illegal in at least Spain and Germany (can't recall if in France too), so you may want to consider trailering the car.
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:37 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Sondro-

Also, you probably will need to add an electric brake controller to the coach. This is usually not too hard to do on a Ford chassis.
No need to do this in the EU, in fact not even sure it would be legal, any braked trailer <7.5tonnes in the EU will have a inertia coupler.
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:19 AM   #10

Hallo you all,
I have in the back the chassis for the hitch and I can easy find on the web the ball part I do not have.
The problem is that it is not registered on the documents of the RV, probably when the office in Italy give the plate to the RV and print the registration certificate forget to write those specs on the documents.

I need a document that I give to authorities and they put the hitch specs like max tow weight and so on on the documents.

So the problem is not the hardware but the documents.

The only declaration that can be used is a manufacturer declaration of conformity linked to the VIN number.

Thanks you all for the help to get this declaration.

Ciao!
Old 01-22-2018, 08:31 AM   #11

up!