Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #1

How do I know if I have an inverter? '03 Gulfstream Sun Voyager

We are new owners of a 2003 Gulfstream Sun Voyager (37 feet). We love it! Having an absolute blast. We can't figure out how to watch TV while dry camping. The users manual talks about an inverter but we can't find it. Any suggestions how to tell if one is installed? Thanks so much for any help available!
UtahHalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
While the inverter itself will be found in a basement compartment, there will be a switch inside the motorhome, usually on the monitor panel, that turns it on and off. Other than that, I'm not familiar with that year and model so can't offer any more specific info.
pablo77rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello UtahHalls and and to the Gulf Stream Owners Forum. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy the website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahHalls View Post
We are new owners of a 2003 Gulfstream Sun Voyager (37 feet). We love it! Having an absolute blast. We can't figure out how to watch TV while dry camping. The users manual talks about an inverter but we can't find it. Any suggestions how to tell if one is installed? Thanks so much for any help available!
The inverter will be installed in a basement compartment that is very close to your house batteries ... usually within about 4 feet. It's a relatively large box (approximately a 1 foot cube). It normally has an on/off switch.

Usually looks something like this .... black color is common.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #5

Thanks for the help! I looked in each basement bin but didn't find anything that resembled the picture you sent me. I traced a line connected to my house batteries back to a compartment where it looks like the DC power can be turned on or off. It is about 4' or so from the batteries (in the hood) like you said. Are inverters a standard thing? Maybe we just plain don't have one. I don't like running the generator just to watch tv. We bought our coach on a whim and are now trying to figure it out. Thanks again for your response!
UtahHalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the help! I looked in each basement bin but didn't find anything that resembled the picture you sent me. I traced a line connected to my house batteries back to a compartment where it looks like the DC power can be turned on or off. It is about 4' or so from the batteries (in the hood) like you said. Are inverters a standard thing? Maybe we just plain don't have one. I don't like running the generator just to watch tv. We bought our coach on a whim and are now trying to figure it out. Thanks again for your response!
Couldn't swear to it but normally standard in a 37 footer. The cables that go to the inverter are large diameter .... same size as the large diameter normally attached to batteries.

Here's the inverter in my 37 ft. Endeavor ... if you look in the back of the compartment you can see the big cables. I have a diesel (house batteries are in compartment under passenger seat) so the inverter is the next compartment rearward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC052584.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	43669  
Old 08-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #7

No inverter in my 2003 Gulfstream Sun Voyager 3851. Convertor only.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
jpf

Gulf Streamers Club
might be more economical/make more sense for you to change the TV for a 12V model.
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:08 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Smaller inverters can be added to push entertainment equipment rather inexpensively.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #10

Quote:

We have a 2004 Sun Voyager and our inverter switch is on the converter panel. Difficult to see, you may try looking there/

C.W.
cwjunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Smaller inverters can be added to push entertainment equipment rather inexpensively.
If you check the power needs of TV, DVD, other equipment you'd power when watching TV, buy an inverter large enough to handle those watts plus a bit more. Wire it close to batteries, then run 120 v wires to a new outlet near TV.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

If you check the power needs of TV, DVD, other equipment you'd power when watching TV, buy an inverter large enough to handle those watts plus a bit more. Wire it close to batteries, then run 120 v wires to a new outlet near TV.
...so here's my question: I have battery wires that run from the coach batteries all the way to the bottom of the entertainment center, these, according to a camping world technician, were for an inverter. Should I hook up the 1000w/2000w inverter there, or should I move it closer to the coach batteries and run a 110 extension cord?
Tourbustoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Depends on how large and how far the wires run. For 1 kw inverter it is usually recommended to be 4 awg for less than 3 feet, 2 awg for 3-6 feet, 0 awg for 6-10 feet.

How do I hook up the Inverter? What size cable should I use, and is it

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #14

Thanks for the info, I'll try and connect it while on this trip.
Tourbustoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, gulfstream