Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2018, 12:43 PM   #1

I'm sure this is a "here we go again" post...BUT...

In my own defense, I want the latest info possible. Just purchased a 2006 8295 Sun Voyager and my intent, goal and plan is to travel the country for an indefinite period of time. So far thrilled with the purchase and the coach. It does need tires as even though the coach has only 20k miles, the tires on it are original and dated. I've looked at several options from Michelin, Toyo, Goodyear and Hankook. Not even considering the lower grade tires. From a cost perspective, the Hankook AH11 seems a great option but they're not RV specific. What I was told and found with my own research, is that RV specific tires have UV compounds in them and "may" give a softer ride. What are the thoughts of experienced full timers and road warriors on this site? I was quoted about 3k for a full set of Toyo M-143's, out the door and can find them online for substantially less but not including m & b and as low as $2500 for the Hankook's WITH an alignment. Given all this, what's your input if so inclined?
1ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2018, 03:23 PM   #2

My Tires

My coach has 22.5 inch tires. I think you do to. I have a set of Sumitomo Tires on right now and am considering changing them out for high time not rise or tread wear. They ride great. They were on there when I bought the coach last year but the dates are showing they are 6 years old.

I may buy another set.

http://www.sumitomotrucktires.com/Tires/Find

Sudsy

edit: I am not sure of exact model/size tire are on there. My coach is in storage but it will be coming out soon. Tires look great and have been kept covered.

Now I see you have 19.5 inch tires. Many more choices.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:29 PM   #3

Yes, my tires are 245/70/19.5. The Sumitomo's look like a decent tire. I can get a full set of the Hankook 3000726, mount and balance, FET, tire disposal, valve stems, alignment and tax out the door for $2500. They're a 16 ply with an "M" speed rating and 137 load index.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:38 PM   #4

There is a reason that most manufacturers put Michelin tires on there products. They are the best. You can get good tires for less but I would stay with Michelin.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
There is a reason that most manufacturers put Michelin tires on there products. They are the best. You can get good tires for less but I would stay with Michelin.
Yea and they might get a nice "bulk rate price" too.

S
Old 03-08-2018, 11:02 PM   #6

I know the Michelin's are a great tire and they're definitely up there in quality. I have heard some common feedback about them from every tire shop I've been to and that is cracking problems. Obviously I have little to offer from personal experience. I was basically told by each shop that there's two kinds of RV owners. Those who sit in one spot for months at a time and those who wear a tread out long before the age of the tire becomes an issue.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:04 PM   #7

I had an 8295, 2006 too....30 ft 3 slides....same size tires as yours.....I had xlnt service from that MH and never an issue other than small items easily fixed.....bought a new Newmar Dutch Star in 2014 and some things were done better on the GS than the newmar.....

I put 6 new tires on a year before selling it.....did a lot of research and decided on Hankooks.....they were just fine and I never had second thoughts ref tires......
sd1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #8

Glad you had such good service from yours and hopefully mine goes just as well. I was looking at the tires that are on it a little closer today and noticed the fronts are load range "G" and the dual's are load range "F". They're original tires. Seems odd to have different rated tires front to back. The Hankook AH 11's I am looking at are load range "H" and found a set of Dunlop SP 348 that are load range "G" for a little better price. I have no intention of having different rated tires front to rear.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:24 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
I looked at a number of alternatives but in the end stayed with Michelin XZE 19.5" RV Tires and find them excellent. My understanding is time will crack any sidewall. I spoke to a few long haul truckers at Pilot and Flying J Travel Plazas when I am filling my diesel tanks and they all swear by Michelin too. That's good enough for me.
Skipper56 is offline   Reply With Quote