RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:01 AM   #1

Nervous - About to buy 1st RV, advice please

Hello everyone, my fiancee and I are about to buy a Gulf Stream Bounty Hunter diesel toy hauler. We are SO excited but really nervous about buying a used RV. We have a dream of RV'ing full time "one day" and this is a step closer to that dream. I've tried to find out info on the GS Bounty Hunter and cannot find a lot on the forums, mostly for sale ads. Does anyone on this forum own one? If so, what has your experience been with it? If not, my next question is: are we getting ourselves into something that cannot be fixed if something goes wrong with it? Someone mentioned to me parts were hard to come by and I am concerned that if something major breaks on it like the engine it will be irreparable. Am I over reacting or is this a real concern. Thank you for your feedback and I hope to join your ranks as an RV owner soon!! Beth and Ron and the fur kids!

rimfire7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2019, 08:01 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum. Someone will join in with the information you are asking about soon. Most of the people on here are very helpful.

BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:45 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

We are glad you joined us. Browse the forums that interest you and don't be afraid to ask questions. Our members like to help when they can. Enjoy the forums.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:27 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

In the light green menu bar at the top you will see "Owner's Forums". Put you mouse pointer over that and a drop-down menu will appear. Then you can select "Gulf Stream". You should be able to find any info you need there! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:49 PM   #5

Your concerns are valid to a degree with any short production run highly specialized coach there will always be some unobtainable parts, though for the most part these units were built from off the shelf common parts, the engine was installed in a large number of other vehicles, so should not be a repair concern. Where I might have more concern would be with the stuff unique to this specific model, like the garage door setup, and anything unique to the chassis / suspension. Though even with this concern it is often possible to work around such issue, though it may require custom fabrication or work arounds when a given part fails.

Take for example the toy hauler door lift mechanism, this might have some unique parts, but probably also shares parts such as the drive motor with other toy hauler RV's. Finding these replacement parts that might partly interchange may be a challenge, but should be possible.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:08 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome aboard!

What year is it and what engine does it have?

How many miles?

Where are you located?

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:22 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. Do look at the various threads here and ask questions as they come up. A good pre purchase inspection (professional) may quell some of your fears.

Enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:04 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome aboard!

I lurked and browsed for years while renting and shopping to buy. Excellent resources and people available on this site.

You will find enthusiasts for every variant of the RV lifestyle and every price point.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
Welcome to the forum. Someone will join in with the information you are asking about soon. Most of the people on here are very helpful.

Thank you, I thought so too.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. Do look at the various threads here and ask questions as they come up. A good pre purchase inspection (professional) may quell some of your fears.

Enjoy the adventure!

Thanks. My fiancee is mechanically inclined so to say especially with engines and suspension. We are going to go over the rig with a fine tooth comb before we purchase it. that is a good suggestion tho, thank you.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Welcome aboard!

What year is it and what engine does it have?

How many miles?

Where are you located?

Hi! I am located in Michigan, the rig is in Texas!! It is a 2008 with 25K miles. The pictures look really good and of course the salesman.......you can guess what he is saying about it. It has a Cummins diesel engine freightliner chassy and allison trans
Old 02-27-2019, 01:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Your concerns are valid to a degree with any short production run highly specialized coach there will always be some unobtainable parts, though for the most part these units were built from off the shelf common parts, the engine was installed in a large number of other vehicles, so should not be a repair concern. Where I might have more concern would be with the stuff unique to this specific model, like the garage door setup, and anything unique to the chassis / suspension. Though even with this concern it is often possible to work around such issue, though it may require custom fabrication or work arounds when a given part fails.

Take for example the toy hauler door lift mechanism, this might have some unique parts, but probably also shares parts such as the drive motor with other toy hauler RV's. Finding these replacement parts that might partly interchange may be a challenge, but should be possible.

Thank you, that is helpful. I was just worried that something might break and we could never fix it but I guess that is a little unrealistic. Money can fix everything, right?!
Old 02-27-2019, 03:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimfire7 View Post
Thank you, that is helpful. I was just worried that something might break and we could never fix it but I guess that is a little unrealistic. Money can fix everything, right?!

Money can fix most things, but also expect to do some of your own leg work when it comes time to shop for parts. I have dealt with some of that myself where a repair shop shows that the Workhorse labelled Part X is for my 2002 Workhorse P32 coach no longer available I have to tell them to order Part Y for a 1999 Chevy TopKick, or a 2004 Cadillac Escalade (same GM Delco alternator for 1/4 the price).
Online owners groups can be a big benefit on these things, particularly the common failure items for the given coach, it seems all coaches have something, it may be a door latch, or a light fixture, but there will likely be something, and others will have faced it before you.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:01 PM   #14

Hey everyone, we are the new owners of an RV! We are driving it back to Michigan right now. So far so good. There is a lot of work to be done to make it ship shape but we are looking forward to customizing it. I posted a bunch of questions about the rig under the class A forum. I wasn’t sure where to post the questions. Any more advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your replies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71A44F1A-6435-48AA-8ADF-AB9625CFA78D.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	343.8 KB
ID:	237590  

Tags
advice